Header Ad Module

Collapse

Would you take out a mortgage for your child?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • donna
    Administrator
    • Aug 2003
    • 10072

    #1

    Would you take out a mortgage for your child?

    Interesting situation -



    Parents put home on market as help rebounds
    When Mr and Mrs P's son needed funds to open a bar in Auckland, the retired couple lent him $60,000, secured against their home.
    They had a $65,000 mortgage already but as their home's value was $675,000, the combined borrowings amounted to only 18 per cent of the property's worth.

    Their son promised to pay the interest on the $60,000 advance, but the business foundered and the loan fell into arrears of $7000. His parents, whose only income is from a pension and superannuation, tried to negotiate lower repayments with their bank, but it threatened a mortgagee sale.


    Mr and Mrs P were forced to re-finance more expensively with a second-tier lender. Their son went to Australia and he is not making regular repayments.


    Meanwhile, his parents have to forgo having holidays or a dinner out as they cut their expenses to meet their higher mortgage payments.

    They plan to sell their home and downsize to a smaller house. "We wanted him to make something of himself without the problems either of us had coming up through hard times," says Mr P. "We see it as a responsibility to make sure he doesn't have to live like we did in our early years."
    source

    Anyone in a similar situation at the moment? I know it is quite commonplace to provide deposits - for property but business ventures? Older folk are getting hit at left right and centre it's a warning to ensure your structures are tight and you have sound advisors that can offer a barrier between you and everyone who wants your money.

    Cheers,

    Donna
    Last edited by donna; 12-07-2009, 09:50 AM.
    Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk


    BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here
  • SuperDad
    Hamilton Event Organiser
    • Apr 2006
    • 4015

    #2
    I liked the title of that article - Screwed by the brood.

    I would lend or gift a deposit, but never offer a property as security.

    Comment

    • Keys
      Fanatical
      • Nov 2006
      • 6062

      #3
      Agree with Paul for business.

      For residential? I'd lend equity. Have done so.
      https://www.propertytalk.com/forum/i...ilies/lock.gif

      Comment

      • AMR
        Addicted
        • Dec 2007
        • 886

        #4
        As a young guy who is about to purchase a rental with my parents providing the deposit - should I get to them to sign a guarantor agreement or simply agree to provide a deposit?

        Last thing I want to do is to sink the family ship. I have recieved conflicting advice from the banks, apparently the guarantor agreement is irrevocable and will make them responsible for my debts for life?

        Comment

        • Keys
          Fanatical
          • Nov 2006
          • 6062

          #5
          Originally posted by AMR View Post
          As a young guy who is about to purchase a rental with my parents providing the deposit - should I get to them to sign a guarantor agreement or simply agree to provide a deposit?

          Last thing I want to do is to sink the family ship. I have recieved conflicting advice from the banks, apparently the guarantor agreement is irrevocable and will make them responsible for my debts for life?
          Get them to trump up the cash for 20% and have them as 20% owners. Make sure you use a different bank than them.

          There are many, many other ways to do this.

          They can purchase it as an investment property and you simply pay all the outgoings.

          Others here will give you differing ideas.
          https://www.propertytalk.com/forum/i...ilies/lock.gif

          Comment

          • Wayne
            Fanatical
            • Jun 2004
            • 10899

            #6
            Originally posted by AMR View Post
            I have recieved conflicting advice from the banks, apparently the guarantor agreement is irrevocable and will make them responsible for my debts for life?
            I would think it would make them responsible for that debt (not all your debts) until it is paid off. But I am no expert.

            Comment

            • Tan
              Fanatical
              • Nov 2008
              • 1444

              #7
              To become a guarantor, I understand you either have to get legal advice, or sign a waiver. It is a very serious undertaking that is not well understood, and can easily lead to the above situation.

              I have seen a situation where parents signed a guarantee for one loan, and each time the child went back for a top up or another loan later, the guarantee was still in place. No notice was given to the parents subsequent to the initial paperwork, and the child had no idea (not being highly intelligent).

              It would be much simpler to get the 20% deposit off your parents.
              Last edited by Tan; 13-07-2009, 01:24 PM.

              Comment

              • CJ
                Fanatical
                • Oct 2003
                • 3570

                #8
                Originally posted by donna View Post
                Interesting situation -

                source

                Anyone in a similar situation at the moment? I know it is quite commonplace to provide deposits - for property but business ventures? Older folk are getting hit at left right and centre it's a warning to ensure your structures are tight and you have sound advisors that can offer a barrier between you and everyone who wants your money.
                This issue is they didn't really monitor the situation. How did it get $7k behind? They should have been on to that and paying it so their credit rating didn't get effected. If that was the case, they would still have to pay it back but it would be at their leasure and with a high street bank at normal retail rates.

                I know it has been done in my family but it was on an interest free basis (ie. effectively an advance on the childs inheritance.) I see this coming more and more popular as people die at an older age (80+), otherwise inheritance will just go from retired person to retired person unless they skip a generation.

                Comment

                • mortgage broker
                  Fanatical
                  • Mar 2008
                  • 1245

                  #9
                  Always remember to limit the guarantee to cover the shortfall against your deposit and cash deposit. For example you are buying the house for $400k, bank needs 20% ($80k) and you have $10k, then the guarantee should be for $70k only.
                  Hamish Patel | ph: 09 625 4693 | mob: 021 625 693
                  My Website
                  Be informed - register for our free monthly newsletter

                  Comment

                  Working...