Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware the Strength of People Power

People power breaks barricades

(From L-R) Zac Martin, 9, Ben Salmon, 9, and Moses Salmon, 7, crossing the Auckland Harbour Bridge. Photo / Rose Carlyle

Auckland Harbour Bridge is open to traffic again after thousands of protesters forced their way through police barricades closing all four northbound lanes this morning.
    The protest was organised by the Auckland GetAcross campaign group in response to the New Zealand's Transport Agency's rejection of at least three proposals to allow cycling and walking on the bridge.
    Last week NZTA decided not to allow the protest for safety reasons.
    The group said it wanted to celebrate the bridge's 50th birthday as well as protesting the lack of cycle and pedestrian access by crossing it.
    Event spokesperson Bevan Woodward told NZPA the group had not intended the crossing to take place against the wishes of police and NZTA, but they could not stop "people power".
    Mr Woodward earlier told the crowd it was in NZTA regional director Wayne McDonald's hands whether they could cross.
    Mr McDonald was also at the event and was heckled when he told protesters they could not cross.

Cyclists make a break past police to cross the Auckland Harbour Bridge. Photo / Glenn Jeffrey

Mr Woodward said he was surprised by the level of support the protest received.
    Auckland Regional Councillor Christine Rose told the protesters the bridge needed to be open to cyclists and walkers because "we want a city that burns fat not oil".
    Commuter cyclist Peter Schmiedeskamp told NZPA the bridge needed to be permanently opened to cyclists and walkers.
    "It's important we all show our support to get over the bridge it's a premium section of roadway in New Zealand, if we are serious about being green, then this is an important place to make a stand."
    Protesters, including children crossed the bridge on foot and on bikes.
    But NZTA says the protesters will not get what they want any sooner.
    Mr McDonald says there are plans to provide access for bikes and foot traffic, but it will be 30 years before it is complete.
    He says the fact the protesters managed to force their way onto the bridge is not likely to cause a change of heart.
    Police said there were no arrests or injuries during the protest.
    The bridge was closed to northbound traffic for about an hour between 10am and 11am causing major delays and backups.
    - NZPA, NEWSTALK ZB

Latest breaking news articles, photos, video, blogs, reviews, analysis, opinion and reader comment from New Zealand and around the World - NZ Herald
    Last edited by muppet; 25-05-2009, 12:46 AM.
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Read more at
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

Why is cycle and pedestrian access so important it's worth doing this? The number of cyclists who would actually use access over the bridge is very small indeed. Your average commuter would not want to do that climb twice a day.
      You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

I disagree Drelly, there'd be hundreds each day I reckon, and it would grow continuously. And each one of them is one less car. I think it's a really good cause. They need to keep doing this until they succeed.
        Squadly dinky do!

Comment

What a long walk, exposed to all the elements. that is from somewhere on the Shore to somewhere in Auckland City or vice versa.

The sun doesn't shine in Auckland everyday.

Comment

Originally posted by muppet View Post

Cyclists make a break past police to cross the Auckland Harbour Bridge. Photo / Glenn Jeffrey
            A fine example of the stupidity and arrogance of some cyclists.
            Punching their fists in the air as they spread across the lane.
            Hurrah! We're breaking the law!
            Who would be complaining if some trucks ran them over? Note the lanes weren't closed off at this point.

The bridge was closed to northbound traffic for about an hour between 10am and 11am causing major delays and backups.
            - NZPA, NEWSTALK ZB
            I'd like to see what those motorists would have done to those cyclists if they had the chance.

Comment

There are other options such as a bike shuttle ... There is funding for that sort of initiative too.. Maybe some of these folk need to be a bit more constructive..

Comment

Or perhaps the Council or whoever controls funding should become a bit more proactive and come up with a solution suitable to everyone very soon, rather than by 2030 - 2040.

Comment

Its the same scenario as the Oakley Creek section of the Mt Roskill link motorway. On any given day you will find a maximum of 8 people visiting the Waterfall... and many most of whom are there cleaning up the shopping trolleys, beer bottles and roadkill that others have left there! The 300 homes nearby are mostly HNZ tenanted, so its not like the government is forcing people out of their own houses. Having the motorway loop completed would be an excellent asset for Auckland.

NB I live just 2 streets away from the planned motorway, in my own house... can only see benefits. Yet for the sake of a handfull of noisy protesters this asset is under threat.
                  two ears and just one mouth.. for good reason.

Comment

Cyclists dont pay Road user charges or petrol tax. If they want a cycle way then suspend it under the bridge and they can pay a toll to use it and pay for it.

Comment

I have an idea, if you want to ride or walk to work then live on this side of the bridge. Brilliant right? It won't even take 30 years and we won't have to spend a cent.
                      Hamish Patel | ph: 09 625 4693 | mob: 021 625 693
                      My Website
                      Be informed - register for our free monthly newsletter

Comment

I didn't realise that traffic over the bridge was so quiet that they could afford to lose a lane to cyclists!
                        Originally posted by captaincrab
                        Cyclists dont pay Road user charges or petrol tax. If they want a cycle way then suspend it under the bridge and they can pay a toll to use it and pay for it.
                        They need cars to lug their bikes about... good idea on the toll though.
                        You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Agreed that both cyclists and motorists could vent their frustration in more constructive ways.
                          However, some of the opinions here seems a bit narrow minded regarding cyclists. Look at cities such as Copenhagen where the majority of people commutes to and from work on a bicycle. If Auckland had proper infrastructure such as dedicated cycle lanes then the same could happen here, with time of course.
                          High resolution Fractal Art on quality canvas: www.FractalArt.co.nz

Comment

Is there another bridge the cyclists can use to get across? If not then access for cyclists and maybe walkers should be granted (imho)

Cheers,

Donna
                            Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Originally posted by captaincrab View Post
                              I would suggest most/majority of cycle users do pay Road User Charges for the vehicle that they aren't using while on their cycle. While using their bike instead of vehicle they are minimising the impact on the road. They should then get a rebate.
                              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X