Healthy Money, Healthy Planet - A must read book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Healthy Money, Healthy Planet - A must read book

I've just started reading Deirdre's book.

My first impression was one of great surprise at how much there is in the book, especially considering it was only $35 including postage.
    There are so many great points made that I've had to start marking them so I can find them again later.

The preface is very interesting and shows how much experience Deirdre has.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough for anyone who wants to understand why the world economy is in the mess it is now in, and for anyone who wants to understand the greater issues of why the current money system is unsustainable and is incompatible with a finite planet.

I now realise that many of the discussions about why society seems to be getting worse failed to find the real basic cause. If you want to understand the real issue, this book will show you.

Maybe most interesting for anyone in NZ it also explains a lot about the NZ money system and why NZ is not doing better economically.

Reading this book will probably save you spending vastly more on Bernard Leitaer's excellent, but difficult to buy, book "The Future of Money".

Brief description of book:

Deirdre Kent is the author of Healthy Money, Healthy Planet: Developing Sustainability through New Money Systems that was published in 2005.

She claims our current financial crisis is not about toxic financial products or bad debts. We need to ask the more fundamental questions about how money is created in the first place. Why does every economist and politician claim we have to have economic growth? Deirdre has been crying out in the wilderness for a long time and the current domino effect of money problems around the world has been an unavoidable scenario in an unsustainable system based on constant growth of money and goods.

321 pages, and packed with facts. A real eye opener.

The book can be ordered for $35 (includes postage within New Zealand.) (you can pay direct into Helen's account)
    Please contact Mrs Helen Dew, 12 Costley St, Carterton
    Ph/Fax 06 379 8034. [email protected]

A radio interview recorded with Deirdre Kent and broadcast on 12 Nov 2008.
    http://www.odeo.com/episodes/2361142...Crisisexternal link

That sounds interesting! Local too...
    Last edited by Perry; 15-01-2009, 08:43 PM. Reason: Moderation: fixed typo

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Netwriter View Post
      I've just started reading Deirdre's book.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough for anyone who wants to understand why the world economy is in the mess it is now in, and for anyone who wants to understand the greater issues of why the current money system is unsustainable and is incompatible with a finite planet.

I now realise that many of the discussions about why society seems to be getting worse failed to find the real basic cause. If you want to understand the real issue, this book will show you.

Maybe most interesting for anyone in NZ it also explains a lot about the NZ money system and why NZ is not doing better economically.
      And what's the offering on solutions? Not
      pie-in-the-sky stuff, like Geo-ism, and such,
      but what's really likely to happen/work?

Without wanting to sound too maudlin, I'm
      tired of reading all about the problems. Such
      tomes are just the same ol' same ol', re-stated.
      Where are the solutions?

Even more gloomily, I see none. At least none
      that doesn't involve spectacular, horrible and
      fantastic rents to the present socio-economic
      structure of the 'fabric of society.'

That beast of muddied brain, the general pop-
      ulace, is simply uncomprehending. And it matters
      not, in the end, for when the ship sinks, there
      may be little respect for status in the scramble
      for the few lifeboats available.

Now where did I put that bottle of rum . . . . ?

Comment

Hi Perry,
        I wonder what problems you've read about.
        Since reading Bernard Lietaer's book I've found it much easier to understand everything.
        More interestingly, many of the discussions about problems and solutions appear irrelevant.

The simplest description is:

The problem is: We have a debt-based money system

The solution: Start using complementary currencies

IMO this subject points to the real basic cause, and the real solution.

My worry is that not enough people will wake up to this in time, and my fear, that it is too late.

Comment

Now, I just need one other person to buy the book, read it, and post what they thought.

Remember what happened when I posted about the Chris Martenson videos. How many skeptics posted. Then how many people watched and replied positively.

I'm going for success number 2

Comment

The problem is: We have a debt-based money system

The solution: Start using complementary currencies.

IMO this subject points to the real basic cause, and the real solution.

My worry is that not enough people will wake up to this in time, and my fear, that it is too late.
            Seems to me that you've re-stated, somewhat more
            eloquently, just what I posited. The chances of any
            form of alternative trading currency happening are . . . . ?

Significant and realistically, I mean.

Like zero, man.

I suspect all astute PIs know this or at least feel it,
            but play the system their own way for their own
            ends. Lots easier playing within the current rules
            than trying to get them changed. A sort-of hybrid:
            If you can't beat 'em, join 'em scenario.

Comment

That's funny, because I've just been skipping through the section on complementary currencies, including those in NZ

I'm told Nelson has quite an active one.

I think the chances increase significantly if things get bad here, because it will be a way out of a dreadful state.

There is also something I've read, which I haven't had time to post about yet, which makes me think that a lot more people will be receptive to this than you might think.

Comment

I'm not talking about receptivity,
                I'm talking about functionality.
                And ubiquitousness.

Comment

Now, I just need one other person to buy the book, read it, and post what they thought.
                  I will look at purchasing the book...and get back to you...

"Untill we change the way banking is done nothing will change"

Cathrine Austin Fitts
                  Last edited by Badger; 16-01-2009, 10:52 AM.

Comment

I'm with Perry on this one.

It really is easy to point out the faults in anything really, the real genius comes in creating the solutions to those faults.

Comment

Badger,
                      Excellent

Perry & Terry,
                      Then buy the book

Comment

Hey Steve,
                        I bought the book thanks to your first post, then realised it was only one link away from a site I was already reading via another source (TransitionTowns). Even had a phone call from Helen offering to introduce me to the relevant people in Christchurch - this may scare some people off but then you don't have to provide your phone number or engage in conversation when ordering The book is on its way to me. Unfortunately I'm the only one in this house who's woken up so far, but there are more in our street and we're working on it....
                        Eli

Comment

Hi Eli,
                          Excellent
                          Please let everyone know what you think. I'm still reading !

Comment

Will do - may take a while though, I've got a pile to get through and not much reading time. Priorities, priorities....

Comment

Originally posted by ream View Post
                              Will do - may take a while though, I've got a pile to get through and not much reading time. Priorities, priorities....
                              I know the feeling !
                              That's why it's taking me so long

Comment

Working...
                              X