From all I've read and heard, it seemed to be common practice to claim books, seminars etc as an expense against rental income. My accountant has pointed out this year that if the IRD audited, they might claim that these expenses are not directly related to the properties I already own, and claw back the amounts plus penalties. The seminar expense is high ($6000, being wife and myself on 3day course). I could argue my case with the IRD if it came to it, but does anyone win arguments with the IRD?
I obviously would like to use the deduction if possible, but want to stay on the right side of the IRD. Has anyone had any experience/insight they would like to share on this?
Viv
I obviously would like to use the deduction if possible, but want to stay on the right side of the IRD. Has anyone had any experience/insight they would like to share on this?
Viv


Comment