Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Subdividing - is it worth it? Q for developers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subdividing - is it worth it? Q for developers?

Hi Guys,

I have a rear section to my property and I am considering selling it as I do not use it.

My neighbor has shown interest but has been unable to put anything on paper so I am not holding my breath.

Approx area is 405m2 (half of 809m2).

Just wondered, if I did sell this section would I be up for capital gains tax? what is the % figure for this?

Do I have to pay for subdivision costs or can I pass this onto the buyer and make this their responsibility (i just sign paperwork) ?

What is the best way to get confirmation it is sub-dividable?

If anyone is interested in a section in Castor Bay get in touch

Thanks in advance - Al

Hi Al,

Tax part. In general the starting point is that a subdivision will be taxable. So make sure you get specific advice from a property accountant. There are exemptions that you may fit into!

But , why sell? You basically have a free section. In general you can make large equity gain by subdividing and putting a house on it, and great cashflow by renting it out! I would start by getting the basic numbers and then reviewing the cashflow.
    - ie is it sub dividable, meet with a surveyor
    - cost to subdivide from surveyor
    - cost to build
    - estimate of value after build
    - rental appraisel

Then either work out the equity gain and overall cashflow, or sit down with an expert and go through these.

Generally a sub dividable property gives a great opportunity, so I would be looking at the options carefully, before selling!

Ross
    Book a free chat here
    Ross Barnett - Property Accountant

Comment

just add to ROSCO comment ,pl make sure overland flow/flood issues

Comment

does anyone knows experts on subdivision who can provide advise on whether it is worth subdividing by offering package rather than owner runs behind surveyor ,planner for months to conclude

Comment

Working...
        X