Ring Fencing Matters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by artemis View Post
    Not at all sure the various housing 'plans' (using the term loosely as where are they?) are going to have 'spectacular results' . . .
    [but]
    It must be seen to be solved so there will need to be some tangible results.
    Exactly.

A good spectacle will be the crucifying of PIs. A few public floggings will tend to distract the dimwit population section's attention from the real problems and Taxcindarella's pseudo-solutions.

Comment

• I think you're looking at it wrong. Ths is a huge opportunity.

The opportunity to invest a few dollars in a heat pump, insulation and and other minor upgrades then to charge well for them.

If i told you you could invest $2.5k and get a 50% gross yield you'd do it no doubt.

$1000 for a heat pump, $1500 for insulation and you can charge $25/wk extra rent where I am. That's a 50% return on investment which will improve your overall yield.

You can easily blame Labour on the rent increase and move on with your improved returns.
      Last edited by Perry; 11-11-2017, 02:48 PM. Reason: fixed typo

Comment

• I literally called my PM yesterday and asked him to quote up insulation, heat pumps and some kind of heat recirculating ventilation system.

Get all that locked in and if any people give up and sell then buy and put in there too. I’m picking a 20-30% rent increase in the next 3 yrs.
        Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

• Originally posted by Don't believe the Hype View Post
          I think you're looking at it wrong. This is a huge opportunity. The opportunity to invest a few dollars in a heat pump, insulation and and other minor upgrades then to charge well for them.
          In turn, I think you're being overly optimistic.

It matters not what the cost of those improvements are.

What matters is tenants' ability to afford the costs associated with them.

Taxcinderella's winter energy grant may help, but by how much remains to be seen.

See here, also.

Comment

• Originally posted by Perry View Post
            In turn, I think you're being overly optimistic.

It matters not what the cost of those improvements are.

What matters is tenants' ability to afford the costs associated with them.

Taxcinderella's winter energy grant may help, but by how much remains to be seen.

See here, also.
            kinda like the propensity to pay $1k for a new iPhone every couple of years?

Who would have thought a decade ago that it would be normal to spend a grand or more every couple of years on a consumer electronics item. Hardly a basic need like shelter is.

same could be said about Netflix/Lightbox or Spotify subscriptions.

very few of us are renting properties at the very top end of rental affordability. In our case we have been very proactive on upgrades
            > insulation - every house we own exceeds the standard,
            > heat pumps, range hoods and bathroom/laundry ventilation and - we've put in 5 or 6 this year alone and will do all as tenants turn over

these properties have been rent for $25 or more a week above market.

We also offer to include lawn maintenance for an additional fee $10/wk - it costs us less than that to provide so we're making a margin there too.

we are now testing upgrades to kitchen/bathrooms and trying to achieve $70/wk - $100/wk above market - not sure we can stretch things that far but we'll soon find out.

If we can get the result this will do a number of things:
            1 - provide a return on investment of 30% - 50% ROI
            2 - target a better quality tenant
            3 - help to improve the neighbourhood
            4 - create a book value increase as in investor heavy areas purchase price is yield based so on a 7.5% yield that adds $70k

Comment

• ToysRus

just gone bankrupt

as kids now want their presents

in the form of electronic games that they can bought from JB hifi, trademe or direct from the maker's portal

but kids still need bricks'n'motar to live in

and someone to pay the rates + costs of maintaining, insurance etc

will their parents, voting for labour

shift that responsibility to the 1%?

heck

worth a try?
              Last edited by eri; 11-11-2017, 06:12 PM.
              have you defeated them?
              your demons

Comment

• jeeezus

another article where investor + speculator seem randomly mixed

to damn all for the failure of the share + housing markets to provide

The research begs the question of what to do to stifle speculator- and bank-fuelled investing in property. Rehm says: "I wasn't too surprised at the findings - I have always suspected the housing crisis was supported by domestic residential property investors and owner-occupiers - but I was disturbed by the degree of speculation."

"Rationing credit would solve the problem, I am pretty sure of that," he says.
                "But the politicians are terrified of it because they worry that it could bring the whole thing down;
                the banks don't like it either."

so don't be surprised if bank finacing gets worse
                Last edited by eri; 11-11-2017, 07:27 PM.
                have you defeated them?
                your demons

Comment

• Usual defuddled twaddle.
                  Dr Michael Rehm says preliminary PhD research by one of his students is revealing how property speculation has fuelled high prices and the Auckland housing crisis. Rehm says this data runs counter to the picture painted by landlord lobby groups who often maintain landlords are in it for long-term cash flow, not short-term capital gains. The Yang research also looked at two groups of investors - those who bought with a mortgage and cash buyers.
                  Try and get it right, numbskulls.
                  "I have always suspected the housing crisis was supported by domestic residential property investors and owner-occupiers - but I was disturbed by the degree of speculation."
                  A PT Forum thread on this so-called research, here.
                  Last edited by Perry; 14-11-2017, 08:48 AM. Reason: added link to other thread

Comment

• labour will soon set up their tax working group

as they can put whoever they like in it

they can pretty much choose whatever outcome they want

if they put economist shamubeel eaqub in

looks like he would try his utmost

to focus extra tax demands on boomers with property

perhaps through high land taxes added to the rates bill

maybe the reintroduction of death taxes

whatever will strip them of their "unfair" windfall wealth

so it can be ploughed back into; public housing, first homer owner grants, etc

so

i would be very wary of leveraging up

to begin investing in property that may be hard to sell quickly

as

if you end up the target

for wealth redistribution

via property taxes

you could get caught by a gently falling market

many seem to want to engineer

Last edited by eri; 12-11-2017, 02:26 PM.
                    have you defeated them?
                    your demons

Comment

• Any such group will have baggage. Lots of it and very heavy stuff, too.

Helen Clark once remarked that any panel of experts would be like that.

Imagine that a jury in the trial of a murderer had to be empanelled only from people who were experts at murdering.

What's needed is something akin to a jury of ordinary citizens to which the experts all get to make their submissions.

That way, the removal of bias and the chances of a more balanced outcome are improved.

Comment

• True, but then how would lawyers and retired politicians fill in their days?

Comment

• i'd love a death tax to be introduced... then i could blow all my cash rather than set up my children and i could conveniently blame the government for my endless summer and annual new luxury car and then my kids would be added to the list of kids needing a handout by the govt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Perry View Post
                            What's needed is something akin to a jury of ordinary citizens to which the experts all get to make their submissions.

That way, the removal of bias and the chances of a more balanced outcome are improved.
                            Careful what you wish for there Perry, this is what happens when incompetent politicians dont have the required understanding to take the info presented by the experts and make sound decisions:

In this case Pauline Hanson thinking she is grilling the Navy expert because she has read something about an issue without having the required knowledge on the subject.
                            She completely mixes up modes of propulsion with modes of power and it doesnt occur to her that her statement / question is so ridiculous that there has to be something wrong in her interpretation, in this case the statement / question is whether the proposed new submarine could only stay under water for 20 minutes !!
                            Even to most laypeople this would seem absurd, but she knows better because she read something somewhere.

I think what is required is a broad range of experts / business people, from all areas, not just "Tax Experts" that usually dont have no clue about the real world.
                            Food.Gems.ILS

Comment

• I suggested lay people, not politicians.

Experts are required to make their views clear to a jury. The jury can ask for clarification, if necessary.

What we don't want is a bunch of people in this tax panel circus who have some sort of vested interest in what they're supposed to be investigating.

All that aside, we know from bitter experience that Taxcindarella will get the answer she wants because:
                              1) the government will appoint the panel;
                              2) the government will define the terms of reference.

It's a charade and only the most dim-witted don't or wont know that.
                              Last edited by Perry; 12-11-2017, 01:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Keithw View Post
                                She completely mixes up modes of propulsion with modes of power and it doesnt occur to her that her statement / question is so ridiculous that there has to be something wrong in her interpretation, in this case the statement / question is whether the proposed new submarine could only stay under water for 20 minutes !!
                                Even to most laypeople this would seem absurd, but she knows better because she read something somewhere.
                                that was agonishing to watch

what's that saying?

"i can explain it to you

but i can't understand it for you"
                                have you defeated them?
                                your demons

Comment

Working...
                                X