Hi all, message about getting finance when self employed: I have very regular work and can get as much work as I want. But banks don't seem to like self employed people for lending purposes. Could my parents or partner set up a company and employ me to do my job and my invoices just go to the company then the company pays me? Seems like a backward way of doing things but want to keep bank happy and I earn way more working the way I do than if I were an employee
Self employed finance
Collapse
X
-
Ask fasastrix and theFan a couple of new guys here... They'll tell you that is fraudulent end dishonest!! The morality police are here to keep us safe from ourselves.
-
What is your entity? Ie, how are you invoicing your clients?
Do you have a good accountant and broker? It's probably worth paying for half an hour of your accountant's time to have a meeting to work out a structure and loop the broker in to run the ideas past banks. I have an entity that is paid by a business I am a co-owner in and while it is painful sometimes to have to wait for financials to be done it seems workable to the banks.Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.
Comment
-
That might sound sensible but it is fraught with danger.Originally posted by nicsa122 View PostWhat about if my parents acted as guarantors of my income?
Best advice I ever heard was never be nor ask for guarantor for something you dont have direct control of.
There are many parents who have lost their house after the business that their children set up and they gauranteed, failed.
Comment
-
just like there was a severe shortage of miners in Western Australia, now there is a massive oversupply, with some moving back to NZ & others having to find lower skilled jobs.
Well paid jobs have a tendency to lose shortages over time as education/ training catches up, immigrants come in to fill the space, or ex-pats come home when the situation overseas changes.
Nothing is forever
i used to be in manufacturing, now the number of manufacturers doing well in NZ can probably be counted on one hand.
The world changes, and in recent years has been changing rapidly
Comment
-
"I'm good for it because I'm in demand" won't really cut it tho.
Why not set up a business and invoice as a business. The business pays you a salary.Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.
Comment
-
I would expect the bank to ask for the last 2 years accounts and ask questions about the business sustainability if it is obviuosly a recent setup.Originally posted by Nick G View Post"I'm good for it because I'm in demand" won't really cut it tho.
Why not set up a business and invoice as a business. The business pays you a salary.
Nicsa's experience with funding is a perfect illustration of why Kiwis invest in property, the banks just arent interested in lending to business unless that business is secured with property.Last edited by Keithw; 21-07-2016, 05:51 PM.
Comment
-
Sounds like you need a 'Lo Doc' solution for now. No Financials and income is 'verified' via bank statements and GST returns. Around 1% more expensive than the Banks but legal and above board!www.ilender.co.nz
Financial Paramedics
Comment
-
It has always seemed odd to me that a Bank will see greater income security in someone employed by me than in me.
If times turn tough, who am I going to lay off first - my employee or myself?
Mind you, in many ways Banks are seldom logical. Why do they all offer great low/no interest credit card terms to attract new customeers but not to retain their existing customers?
Comment
-
On the first point, I totally agree. Banks are stuck in an old age where employment is secure and self employment is risky. In most cases, those with the nous to run their own business will have no trouble finding a job if their venture goes under. But an employee with fifteen years at the same company (or worse, thirty) will often struggle with unemployability and lack of updated skills.Originally posted by flyernzl View PostIt has always seemed odd to me that a Bank will see greater income security in someone employed by me than in me.
If times turn tough, who am I going to lay off first - my employee or myself?
Mind you, in many ways Banks are seldom logical. Why do they all offer great low/no interest credit card terms to attract new customeers but not to retain their existing customers?
On the last point though - I'm sure the banks are aware of this juxtaposition, and I'm sure they have run the numbers. Most people are apathetic and lazy, and don't change banks regardless. They are the ones the banks want. Those who are truly considering leaving will leave eventually whether you pay to retain them or not. Why bother?AAT Accounting Services - Property Specialist - [email protected]
Fixed price fees and quick knowledgeable service for property investors & traders!
Comment
-
Were initially just trying to re-finance existing loans to release equity so that's probably not going to work is it? What's involved with your loans? I have a husband on a 'high income' and I am a locum pharmacist with a history of regular work- would a 'Lo Doc' solution be an option for us?Originally posted by brokerman View PostSounds like you need a 'Lo Doc' solution for now. No Financials and income is 'verified' via bank statements and GST returns. Around 1% more expensive than the Banks but legal and above board!
Comment
-
Looks OK to me, send me a PM and we'll sort it.Originally posted by nicsa122 View PostWere initially just trying to re-finance existing loans to release equity so that's probably not going to work is it? What's involved with your loans? I have a husband on a 'high income' and I am a locum pharmacist with a history of regular work- would a 'Lo Doc' solution be an option for us?www.ilender.co.nz
Financial Paramedics
Comment
-
Ok, will wait to hear back from our broker if they can work it out first though. Just seems ridiculous. As a locum I have numerous 'employers' and if one were to bail on a booking I could just go work rurally to fill the gap, but if I were an employee I could be made redundant with four weeks notice and no redundancy payout, isn't being a locum therefore more reliable!?!? Freakin banks jerks.Originally posted by brokerman View PostLooks OK to me, send me a PM and we'll sort it.
Comment


Comment