Header Ad Module

Collapse

Self employed finance

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • nicsa122
    Forum Junkie
    • Aug 2014
    • 262

    #1

    Self employed finance

    Hi all, message about getting finance when self employed: I have very regular work and can get as much work as I want. But banks don't seem to like self employed people for lending purposes. Could my parents or partner set up a company and employ me to do my job and my invoices just go to the company then the company pays me? Seems like a backward way of doing things but want to keep bank happy and I earn way more working the way I do than if I were an employee
  • Don't believe the Hype
    Fanatical
    • Apr 2016
    • 2159

    #2
    Ask fasastrix and theFan a couple of new guys here... They'll tell you that is fraudulent end dishonest!! The morality police are here to keep us safe from ourselves.

    Comment

    • Nick G
      Fanatical
      • Jul 2014
      • 2544

      #3
      What is your entity? Ie, how are you invoicing your clients?

      Do you have a good accountant and broker? It's probably worth paying for half an hour of your accountant's time to have a meeting to work out a structure and loop the broker in to run the ideas past banks. I have an entity that is paid by a business I am a co-owner in and while it is painful sometimes to have to wait for financials to be done it seems workable to the banks.
      Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

      Comment

      • nicsa122
        Forum Junkie
        • Aug 2014
        • 262

        #4
        What about if my parents acted as guarantors of my income?

        Comment

        • Keithw
          Fanatical
          • Oct 2008
          • 1410

          #5
          Originally posted by nicsa122 View Post
          What about if my parents acted as guarantors of my income?
          That might sound sensible but it is fraught with danger.
          Best advice I ever heard was never be nor ask for guarantor for something you dont have direct control of.

          There are many parents who have lost their house after the business that their children set up and they gauranteed, failed.
          Food.Gems.ILS

          Comment

          • nicsa122
            Forum Junkie
            • Aug 2014
            • 262

            #6
            There's a severe shortage of people with my skills, there's no risk of me being out of work.

            Comment

            • Keithw
              Fanatical
              • Oct 2008
              • 1410

              #7
              just like there was a severe shortage of miners in Western Australia, now there is a massive oversupply, with some moving back to NZ & others having to find lower skilled jobs.
              Well paid jobs have a tendency to lose shortages over time as education/ training catches up, immigrants come in to fill the space, or ex-pats come home when the situation overseas changes.

              Nothing is forever

              i used to be in manufacturing, now the number of manufacturers doing well in NZ can probably be counted on one hand.
              The world changes, and in recent years has been changing rapidly
              Food.Gems.ILS

              Comment

              • Nick G
                Fanatical
                • Jul 2014
                • 2544

                #8
                "I'm good for it because I'm in demand" won't really cut it tho.

                Why not set up a business and invoice as a business. The business pays you a salary.
                Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

                Comment

                • Keithw
                  Fanatical
                  • Oct 2008
                  • 1410

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Nick G View Post
                  "I'm good for it because I'm in demand" won't really cut it tho.

                  Why not set up a business and invoice as a business. The business pays you a salary.
                  I would expect the bank to ask for the last 2 years accounts and ask questions about the business sustainability if it is obviuosly a recent setup.


                  Nicsa's experience with funding is a perfect illustration of why Kiwis invest in property, the banks just arent interested in lending to business unless that business is secured with property.
                  Last edited by Keithw; 21-07-2016, 05:51 PM.
                  Food.Gems.ILS

                  Comment

                  • brokerman
                    Addicted
                    • Aug 2009
                    • 947

                    #10
                    Sounds like you need a 'Lo Doc' solution for now. No Financials and income is 'verified' via bank statements and GST returns. Around 1% more expensive than the Banks but legal and above board!
                    www.ilender.co.nz
                    Financial Paramedics

                    Comment

                    • flyernzl
                      Fanatical
                      • Mar 2007
                      • 3143

                      #11
                      It has always seemed odd to me that a Bank will see greater income security in someone employed by me than in me.

                      If times turn tough, who am I going to lay off first - my employee or myself?

                      Mind you, in many ways Banks are seldom logical. Why do they all offer great low/no interest credit card terms to attract new customeers but not to retain their existing customers?

                      Comment

                      • Anthonyacat
                        Fanatical
                        • Oct 2013
                        • 1758

                        #12
                        Originally posted by flyernzl View Post
                        It has always seemed odd to me that a Bank will see greater income security in someone employed by me than in me.

                        If times turn tough, who am I going to lay off first - my employee or myself?

                        Mind you, in many ways Banks are seldom logical. Why do they all offer great low/no interest credit card terms to attract new customeers but not to retain their existing customers?
                        On the first point, I totally agree. Banks are stuck in an old age where employment is secure and self employment is risky. In most cases, those with the nous to run their own business will have no trouble finding a job if their venture goes under. But an employee with fifteen years at the same company (or worse, thirty) will often struggle with unemployability and lack of updated skills.

                        On the last point though - I'm sure the banks are aware of this juxtaposition, and I'm sure they have run the numbers. Most people are apathetic and lazy, and don't change banks regardless. They are the ones the banks want. Those who are truly considering leaving will leave eventually whether you pay to retain them or not. Why bother?
                        AAT Accounting Services - Property Specialist - [email protected]
                        Fixed price fees and quick knowledgeable service for property investors & traders!

                        Comment

                        • nicsa122
                          Forum Junkie
                          • Aug 2014
                          • 262

                          #13
                          Originally posted by brokerman View Post
                          Sounds like you need a 'Lo Doc' solution for now. No Financials and income is 'verified' via bank statements and GST returns. Around 1% more expensive than the Banks but legal and above board!
                          Were initially just trying to re-finance existing loans to release equity so that's probably not going to work is it? What's involved with your loans? I have a husband on a 'high income' and I am a locum pharmacist with a history of regular work- would a 'Lo Doc' solution be an option for us?

                          Comment

                          • brokerman
                            Addicted
                            • Aug 2009
                            • 947

                            #14
                            Originally posted by nicsa122 View Post
                            Were initially just trying to re-finance existing loans to release equity so that's probably not going to work is it? What's involved with your loans? I have a husband on a 'high income' and I am a locum pharmacist with a history of regular work- would a 'Lo Doc' solution be an option for us?
                            Looks OK to me, send me a PM and we'll sort it.
                            www.ilender.co.nz
                            Financial Paramedics

                            Comment

                            • nicsa122
                              Forum Junkie
                              • Aug 2014
                              • 262

                              #15
                              Originally posted by brokerman View Post
                              Looks OK to me, send me a PM and we'll sort it.
                              Ok, will wait to hear back from our broker if they can work it out first though. Just seems ridiculous. As a locum I have numerous 'employers' and if one were to bail on a booking I could just go work rurally to fill the gap, but if I were an employee I could be made redundant with four weeks notice and no redundancy payout, isn't being a locum therefore more reliable!?!? Freakin banks jerks.

                              Comment

                              Working...