Hi
First time posting here. Hoping someone here has a better understanding of mortgage break fees than I do (which wouldn't be hard).
Intend to repay a mortgage (~$400k) in next few months.
Locked in a 5 year rate at 5.95% approx 2.5 years ago, so another 2.5 years to run.
Rates for 5 year money have obviously decreased since then.
Questions I'd appreciate views on;
1) Would a break fee typically be payable in these circumstances (given that rates have decreased so I'm already "out of the money").
2) Have people had success negotiating out of break fees (i.e. do banks take wider relationship view etc if I have a bit of leverage versus I pack up and go elsewhere - bank in question is ASB).
3) Anyone got experience with a change of security in these circumstances? I'd need to purchase another property to do it but that is possible and could be sensible (for a number of reasons) including the avoidance of a large break fee if applicable. Added complication is that I would want to use another structure from the Trust which has the existing mortgage. Anyone know if banks have flexibility to change both security and borrower (to a related party) without breaking fixed rate?
Appreciate any insight here.
Cheers
First time posting here. Hoping someone here has a better understanding of mortgage break fees than I do (which wouldn't be hard).
Intend to repay a mortgage (~$400k) in next few months.
Locked in a 5 year rate at 5.95% approx 2.5 years ago, so another 2.5 years to run.
Rates for 5 year money have obviously decreased since then.
Questions I'd appreciate views on;
1) Would a break fee typically be payable in these circumstances (given that rates have decreased so I'm already "out of the money").
2) Have people had success negotiating out of break fees (i.e. do banks take wider relationship view etc if I have a bit of leverage versus I pack up and go elsewhere - bank in question is ASB).
3) Anyone got experience with a change of security in these circumstances? I'd need to purchase another property to do it but that is possible and could be sensible (for a number of reasons) including the avoidance of a large break fee if applicable. Added complication is that I would want to use another structure from the Trust which has the existing mortgage. Anyone know if banks have flexibility to change both security and borrower (to a related party) without breaking fixed rate?
Appreciate any insight here.
Cheers


Comment