Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Property investment vehicle

Hello
    I recently made some enquiries on trademe for a couple of properties. Some of the owners have gotten back to me answering my queries.
    A couple of the property owners were companies.
    So it made me think is there a thread or post somewhere on advantages/disadvantages of types of structures used in NZ to invest in NZ property?

Thanks.

P.S. Some of the sellers appear to be Aussie's. Just wondering what their motivation may be - thought perhaps the NZD agains the AUD.

Comment

It all depends on your personal circumstances and which structure fits you the best now, 5 years later, and 10+ years later.

best to talk to a good accountant like Rosco for personal and tailored advice =)

It's like buying a mens suit:

John Goodman will probably look well in a more loosely fitting suit.

A tight fit suit would look better on John Reynolds.

But as a general rule, tailored made suits look the best, regardless the size and shape of the wearer
      Last edited by PTILoveYou; 17-09-2015, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Lin View Post
        It all depends on your personal circumstances and which structure fits you the best now, 5 years later, and 10+ years later.

best to talk to a good accountant like Rosco for personal and tailored advice =)

It's like buying a mens suit:

John Goodman will probably look well in a loosely fitting suit.

While a tight fit suit would look good on John Reynolds.
        Great comments! Everyone is different!

If you search LTC's, Trusts, Structures I'm sure you will find some comments on here.

Trust - main thing is asset protection. Also very good for profitable rentals.
        LTC - Good for flexibility, but not good if go overseas.
        Sole Trader / Partnership - no flexibility, but cheaper.

Ross
        Book a free chat here
        Ross Barnett - Property Accountant

Comment

No sh1t. Thanks for the condescending replies.

All I am after was a heads up. Happy to talk with advisors, am one myself in Oz, but knowledge is power.

Comment

Condescending?

What?

Where did you get that?

Comment

The suits metaphor!

You may have meant it to be funny, I just didn't find it so. I was just after a generic pointer, so saying get advice with the joke attached was imo mildly condescending.

Comment

Originally posted by Condor View Post
                The suits metaphor!

You may have meant it to be funny, I just didn't find it so. I was just after a generic pointer, so saying get advice with the joke attached was imo mildly condescending.
                Dude, don't be offended.

You gotta realise comments on PT are not just addressed to you, but to the wider audience as well.

It wasn't mean to be funny, it was more of a basic example for the public audience.

Questions on Tax structures are asked A LOT online these days!

Comment

It's okay. I am possibly a bit punchy at the moment as am dealing with teenager troubles!

Edit: Also, I want to narrow down my queries.

Comment

It's okay. I am possibly a bit punchy at the moment as am dealing with teenager troubles!

Edit: Also, I want to narrow down my queries.
                    Teenagers, yeah I will be facing them 10 years from now!

Comment

Tax Structures 101 by Matthew Gilligan. Good and current.

Comment

You need advice really. The landscape changed in NZ recently to try and stop people breaking tainting so a bit more complex these days. Trusts are good, LTC's are common now. Talk to GRA or Rosco

Comment

No sh1t. Thanks for the condescending replies.

All I am after was a heads up. Happy to talk with advisors, am one myself in Oz, but knowledge is power.
                          I think you should be nice to start with.
                          Gary along with others takes time to share experience and help.
                          And actually yours was a bit of a dumb question, given the number of times it has been covered. You could have got a truly sarcastic response.

Interesting that a number of Aus buyers, good to have that info.

Comment

LTC is quite common if you want to hold long term portfolio.

Trust is good for asset protection like Ross says and if you are involved in risky businesses.

In saying that Trusts are very expensive to setup and maintain. The setup costs are reasonable but you will also be up for conveyancing costs for each entity and personal properties. Then there is additional costs such as professional annual fees/trust meetings - Wills power of Attoney etc . Could easily be upwards of 8-10K in total

Comment

In saying that Trusts are very expensive to setup and maintain. The setup costs are reasonable but you will also be up for conveyancing costs for each entity and personal properties. Then there is additional costs such as professional annual fees/trust meetings - Wills power of Attoney etc . Could easily be upwards of 8-10K in total
                              Not true it needn't cost anything like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X