• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Property Owner Search? LINZ?

If it was desired to know how many properties
    an entity owned - as in its name appeared on
    the CoT - how does one find out?

Is it the LINZ database? Can it be searched in
    a manner similar to the companies registry?
    If so, who can search it and how and does
    it cost to do so?

Are certain particulars held back? As in, only
    government departments can search them?

Iadvise gives me all that, RPDATA is the source. I don't know how to get it on a one off basis

Comment

Maybe one of our resident legal beagles will know the ins and outs?

I was sent a document that said I was the owner of some properties
      (complete with CoT details) asserting that I should be involved in
      something about them.

The reason I'm on the CoT is I'm a trustee of the Trust that owns the
      properties. But how did the person concerned get that information?
      The property trustees are not named in public: the Trust's name is.

Next I'll be getting property-related SPAM! Can I forestall that prospect?

Comment

No no you are wrong. Trusts are not legal owners of real estate, the trustees names and details are always all on the title. That's why I have used blind trusts in the past. It's the only way to keep your name off if you are a trustee. (As far as I am aware anyway).

Comment

I did know that - sorry if I didn't make that clear.
          (legal obligation vs legal entity, etc.)

A Trustee company is another way to avoid having
          a personal name on the CoT, BTW.

However, I'm no closer to knowing how potential
          SPAMSTERS can get access to that CoT names-
          on-the-title info.

Comment

They can get a sub to any of the property data companies and get every owner in New Zealand potentially dude!.

Comment

Yes, I suppose so. But then they have
              to get address details and that would
              be another challenge. Or do property
              data people already have that info?

Phone book? Electoral Roll (available
              in most public libraries)? Etc. Seems
              like a lot of trouble to go to.

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
                Seems like a lot of trouble to go to.
                Which they will happily do if overall it is profitable for them.

Comment

When I search it has owners phone numbers about 75% of the time and addresses nearly always.

Comment

In the good old days we would often go around difficult agents and just contact owners direct. Saved a lot of hassle. Still paid the agent but at least you could get the deal done.

Comment

Originally posted by Damap View Post
                      No no you are wrong. Trusts are not legal owners of real estate, the trustees names and details are always all on the title. That's why I have used blind trusts in the past. It's the only way to keep your name off if you are a trustee. (As far as I am aware anyway).
                      Sort of lol. There is a lot in your post to set straight.

Lets go back to basics. In English (NZ) law, trusts do not have a legal personage so far as the Registrar General of Land is concerned. You either own it as the registered proprietor or bog off. You have no standing here.

Trusts including testamentary trusts, secret trusts, and precatory trusts etc are meaningless in land law.

The historical reason for this is that English common law (and NZ law too) is very strict. You either held title to a piece of land or you didn't. The fact that you might be dead and the land is actually held for successors was and is of no interest to the Registrar General. You own it, you deal with it.

Or your testamentary Trustees stand in your place.

The details of a will or a Trust are private matters which the Registrar is utterly uninterested in.

He will however be interested in a Transmission of the estate in land and further transfers of that estate so long as you produce the correct documents or an Order from the High Court.

Comment

Ummm, which is what I said.

Comment

A blind Trust is where a person transfers assets to professional trustees and lets them get on with managing the trust assets without having any power to direct and control the trustees decisions. Politicians use blind trusts all the time so they cannot be accused of corruption and using inside knowledge.

Comment

I've often wondered about that. No Trust-Deed-related control,
                            but a quiet-chat-with-the-Trustees influence, perhaps?

Comment

Exactly that is what I use. so my name does not appear on the title. Of course you can set them up so you still have complete control it is just anonymity one is achieving which is what Perry was talking about.

Comment

Working...
                              X