hello,
I have been advised to put my house into a Family Trust. However there is an advantage of not having it in a Trust that I can see. I have had rental income from the house previously and intend to again. When it was rented there were maintenance and repairs expenses and the house made a loss. For tax, the loss was offset against my income as an employee, so the amount of the loss was income that I did not have to pay tax on, not an insubstantial amount. If the house was in a Trust I would not be able to do that as the Trust is a separate legal entity.
If I was not an employee, but had a limited company, then both the company and the house could be in the Trust and if there was a rental loss it could be offset against the company income. However, with the house not in a Trust, even with a company rather than being an employee, the rental loss could still be offset against income. So it seems to me, for the puposes of rental loss, that it is better not to have the house in a Trust unless expecting any financial attacks on the property.
The house does need alot of maintenance and repair and so it will most likely run at a rental loss.
Am I right in this?
Bean
I have been advised to put my house into a Family Trust. However there is an advantage of not having it in a Trust that I can see. I have had rental income from the house previously and intend to again. When it was rented there were maintenance and repairs expenses and the house made a loss. For tax, the loss was offset against my income as an employee, so the amount of the loss was income that I did not have to pay tax on, not an insubstantial amount. If the house was in a Trust I would not be able to do that as the Trust is a separate legal entity.
If I was not an employee, but had a limited company, then both the company and the house could be in the Trust and if there was a rental loss it could be offset against the company income. However, with the house not in a Trust, even with a company rather than being an employee, the rental loss could still be offset against income. So it seems to me, for the puposes of rental loss, that it is better not to have the house in a Trust unless expecting any financial attacks on the property.
The house does need alot of maintenance and repair and so it will most likely run at a rental loss.
Am I right in this?
Bean


Comment