Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leaky building - Should I register for GST?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaky building - Should I register for GST?

Hi Folks,

I mentioned in an earlier post that I have an Auckland apartment that has been recently declared leaky. Repairs will begin later in the year, and will end up costing me approx $75k. Can someone please tell me, should I be registering myself for GST? It was mentioned to me by someone that it might be advantageous to do so.

My knowledge on GST (and taxation in general!) is very hazy.

Thank you

i think we would all love to know which building you mean
    have you defeated them?
    your demons

Comment

I'm sure you would Eri!

Comment

How is the apartment rented? Is it just a normal residential rental?

Ross
        Book a free chat here
        Ross Barnett - Property Accountant

Comment

Originally posted by Rosco View Post
          How is the apartment rented? Is it just a normal residential rental?

Ross
          Hi Ross,

Yes its a normal residential rental.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexE View Post
            Hi Ross,

Yes its a normal residential rental.
            Then presuming you are a long term hold investor, there is no GST. So you could register, but there would be no point as you wouldn't get any GST claim.

Ross
            Book a free chat here

Comment

Originally posted by Rosco View Post
              Then presuming you are a long term hold investor, there is no GST. So you could register, but there would be no point as you wouldn't get any GST claim.

Ross
              Hi Ross,

I understand that there is GST being charged on the repair work. Am I able to claim on this?

Comment

If you are 'in business' regularly providing a service and your revenue is over $60K you have to register for GST - (under $60K GST reg. is voluntary) earning a salary or wages does not count so you can not claim GST. I know it hurts having to pay GST especially on a large ticket item like home renovations etc but that's just the way it is.

See IRD link

If you were trading properties e.g. buy, and sell or buy, renovate and sell then you'd register for GST and be able to claim the GST on services provided to your 'trading business' - hence Ross asking if you were a buy and hold investor.

So as buy and hold investors we pay GST on services rendered but can not claim the GST back. Best to get a good Accountant who can let you know what expenses you can offset against rental income etc.

cheers,

Donna
                Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Originally posted by AlexE View Post
                  Hi Ross,

I understand that there is GST being charged on the repair work. Am I able to claim on this?
                  No if you are a long term hold investor. Same as there is GST on rates and insurance, but you can't claim this GST back either.

Ross
                  Book a free chat here

Comment

Confusion over leaky building GST refunds

Confusion surrounds the ability of body corporates of leaky buildings to claim GST refunds, as the Inland Revenue seems reluctant to have its decisions in two leading cases stand as precedents.

Comment

Working...
                    X