X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paying GST to builders

Hi all,
    a quick question with some background-

We have just had some renovation work finished by a builder and have received the bill. It appears that the expenses for materials (bills from Placemakers) have had GST added to them at Placemakers. Then on the builders invoice, the total of the job has GST added to everything. Essentially, this means that we are paying 30% GST. Is this normal/ legal/ fishy?

Cheers Deech

Fishy. I would challenge it.

www.3888444.co.nz
    Facebook Page

Comment

Completely normal. You're not paying 30% GST. You're paying 15% GST on the builder's invoice. Where he sources his product and the tax he pays for that product is irrelevent, unless you'd come to some earlier arrangement on markup for goods supplied.

Comment

No this is not normal at all, you should pay for materials and labour plus GST, one lot of GST that is.

So you pay whatever the builder had to pay for the materials, including any GST they had to pay.

And then you pay for his labour plus GST.

But you shouldn't have to pay GST on the materials twice, no reason for that at all.
        Squadly dinky do!

Comment

damn, I agree with TLL. Maybe you could discuss it with the builder but what TLL says is correct, should have sorted it before it started (pay materials on invoice sort of thing).

Comment

I'm not sure why Davo & Keys think otherwise. If a manufacturer buys component parts, they pay GST on those parts to their suppliers. They then assemble their own finished product and sell it for $x, charging GST on that $x. This is no different.

Comment

Why do you say "damn", Wayne?

Comment

Most, if not all, tradies charge a margin on materials unless some other specific arrangement is made. Maybe that accounts for the difference. (Ever checked the wholesale price of electrical cabling compared to what's on the bill from the sparky?)

Comment

I just checked some invoices by the builder who also supplied a copy of the invoices, and the GST was only charged once, ie like Davo has said.

Comment

GST should not be charged twice!

Originally posted by deechnz View Post
                    Hi all,
                    a quick question with some background-

We have just had some renovation work finished by a builder and have received the bill. It appears that the expenses for materials (bills from Placemakers) have had GST added to them at Placemakers. Then on the builders invoice, the total of the job has GST added to everything. Essentially, this means that we are paying 30% GST. Is this normal/ legal/ fishy?

Cheers Deech
                    If builder buys bit of timber for $100 + GST. This costs them $115, they then claim back the GST leaving a cost of $100.

When they sell it to you, they would normally add their markup(could be Zero) and labour. So say;
                    - Timber $120
                    - Labour $500

So $620 + GST = $713

This means they are making their $20 markup on the timber, plus their labour.

Charging you GST on the GST inclusive cost is wrong. This would mean they are charging GST twice, and really making an extra 15% profit on the items.

Ross
                    Book a free chat here
                    Ross Barnett - Property Accountant

Comment

I would want to be told up front that he was adding on a margin if it were me.
                      You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Ross, I'd argue that they're not paying GST twice. It's the builder that is making an extra 15% profit. This isn't wrong as in illegal.

Alternatively, just call it a markup of $35 on the timber - same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLiberalLeft View Post
                          Ross, I'd argue that they're not paying GST twice. It's the builder that is making an extra 15% profit. This isn't wrong as in illegal.

Alternatively, just call it a markup of $35 on the timber - same thing.
                          And that's where you are confused TLL.
                          Squadly dinky do!

Comment

I don't think so. Is it illegal, or is the builder just making an extra profit? Explain why it's different to the example I gave about a manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosco View Post
                              If builder buys bit of timber for $100 + GST. This costs them $115, they then claim back the GST leaving a cost of $100.

When they sell it to you, they would normally add their markup(could be Zero) and labour. So say;
                              - Timber $120
                              - Labour $500

So $620 + GST = $713

This means they are making their $20 markup on the timber, plus their labour.

Charging you GST on the GST inclusive cost is wrong. This would mean they are charging GST twice, and really making an extra 15% profit on the items.

Ross
                              Yes, this reflects how I was charged, although it wasnt laid out like that. Using the timber, I would have paid 120+GST

Comment

Working...
                              X