Noob who wants to build garden shed on boundary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob who wants to build garden shed on boundary

I need advice, i got this builder neighbour (more of a builders labourer) either way he is stupid as the wood he builds with.

He is building a supposed garden shed on the boundary over queens birthday ( you know the type).

Now a normal garden shed is less than 10 sqm metal single level structure - i can handle this. But this guy is building at least 2.5 meter high by 4.5 by 3.5 meter structure less than one meter from the boundary - basically next to my kids window and its huge. Im at the point with this guy as you can imagine he is constantly at it with building noise until 11:00 at night (being the noob that he is - he just dont stop, he stupid but motivated) - he basically is your dick neighbour (i can imagine worse neighbours - but for me now - he is it.)

Anyway I tried to deal with him on a friendly, friendly basis. ie i don't wanna a huge dwelling on my fence line “bro” - i tried nice, i tried firmly “hay bro you know the council rules” but basically its now its moved to “F off, don’t tell me what to do” neighbour level. (which is counter productive.) (never argue with the stupid)

He now knows he shouldn't be doing this but in order to be spiteful he has decided to go even bigger upwards once, i called him out.

Basically the regulation is a 10 sqm meter shed located greater than three meters away from boundary, if you go less than three meters its height must match its distance away from the boundary – which is fair enough otherwise Code of compliance which means neighbour signoff due to it being less than 3 meters from boundary.
    I was trying to be nice (fair to everybody) , i like to be fair but he has now pushed it, it really is huge and tall.

My issue, is what should i do, should go to council or ignore it, and move on with life.

Im really at a loss on how do deal with this twat, because he now is causing grief to me.

Im would like feedback, I know im the right, but sometimes you know you can be right but wrong, I need your wisdom on how to proceed.

Do I continue to push, with the council, or am I wasting my time perhaps, can you see any other way ? Do i just let him go ?

Thanks for any comments.

Cheers

Firstly which part of Auckland are you in? A few different district plans floating around.
    Last edited by Perry; 04-06-2012, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Northshore.

Comment

Well I think you've tried to be reasonable, you really need to go to the council.
        Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Cheers dude, i value your opinion, you know sometimes these guys just drag you down, i really did try to be nice.

Comment

Have a quite word with him and say "look mate u & I both know that it's against the reg's, but for a slab of beer I'll forget all about it .....drink beer....dob him into council.

Cheers
            Spaceman

Comment

Originally posted by TheFlash View Post
              Northshore.
              TF, don't bow to turbides

he's not permitted to do such noisy work beyond 9pm (per auckland noise control rules) see ***Note A below

1 - Call auckland noise control (effective if done right)
              2 - Record complaint number
              3 - Request/insist if need be (you're entitled to), that officer meets you approx 5 houses away from scumbag's property, so turbide is not alerted by officer's presence and continues working
              4 - Meet and walk down with officer to spot which is same distance away from turbide's house as yours is away from his, and point out which is your dwelling and which is turbide's - so that officer can gauge effect of noise disturbance to you in your dwelling (lets say intermittent power tools or hammering)
              5 - If you know work is intermittent let officer know and keep him there as long as it takes to hear hammering or power tools
              6 - When officer has heard it for himself, let him do his job

Going back to item 1 - explain situation as is and its effect on you - and if intermittent noise, tell them so - give them yours and turbide's details - he will not get to know who lodged complainant

Due to crafty nature of my turbides (long since gone with pure bliss now prevailing), it did initially take a couple of call outs for me to deduce and refine above described procedure to what it is - MOREOVER and due to crafty turbides - one such officer lost his job

On one such call out and position I walked the officer to, some 2 houses away, he could hear the noise ... loud yelling +laughter/raucus +booze in the dead of night (there was no music) ... he declared it unacceptable advising me to report it again if it persists and proceeded (drove) to turbide's address, he was there for some 10-15 mins before leaving (I watched)

On phoning again some 45 mins later, I discovered officer had reported/logged it as not-excessive noise - Fuming fire from my nostrils, I lodged complaint following day - Complaint consisted of none other than factual detailed account of event which included statistical info (measured distances and numbers etc) AND included questions posed based on simple irrefutable logic which when compared to officer's second report subsequent to complaint ... simply didn't add up ... he lost his job ... I couldn't avoid feeling sorry for him as being yet another victim of turbide

With it being late Sunday night / theatre / drama / entertainment time, I digress for moment
              ================================================== ==================
              My guess is - He lost his job bcoz he fell for the wiles of a shameless lying actress accomplished in the art of smiling and beguiling when she thinks she needs to, to have her way, albeit with a rotten, cold and calculating inner core

To no avail, she once tried it on me in plain daylight AND on the road ... with no one else around ... WAIT THERE'S MORE ... approaching, greeting, addressing and talking to me about zilch and of zero value ... HERE IT IS ... wearing nothing but tiniest of bikinis (which I first saw from a distance) ... I took pleasure deflating her by politely conversing with her but totally ignoring all else ... showing her she had failed in her misguided attempt to impress or influence

For any who may doubt this ... I can only ask, when there was no one else around on road, why bother come to me to talk about nothing in particular and in this fashion ... other than because I was targeted???

ENTERTAINMENT TIME OVER - back to topic

NEXT STEP TF
              Take it to council, write and email it to them immediately, don't waste time

Not crucial in this instance but I do hope you have, b4 and after (or in between) date/time stamped evidential pictures

For the record and with respect to other noise from different household in same neighborhood for whom I've had to call noise control for loud music/partying, those have had their audio equipment impounded for (I forget how many exactly) months ... Not a squeek from them nowadays

*** Note A - believe it or not - if its not building/construction related, one can also complain about noise during daytime, if disturbing, recurring and excessive (volume) but I haven't yet tested this ... haven't needed to

PS I wonder how beakernz is getting on with his noisy loutish turbides
              Last edited by props4u; 04-06-2012, 03:58 AM.
              Derived from "Turbid" ..... akin to toxic Carbide(s) .... by adding "e" to "Turbid", we then have,
              Turbide(s) = new alternative word for Scumbag(s) .. Thankfully, humanity's minority -
              May 2012

Comment

Props4u - I'm sure you're a lovely person and all, but your post makes YOU seem like a neighbour from hell. No offence.

Comment

did you take pics of the bikini clad lass..we like pics

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
                    did you take pics of the bikini clad lass..we like pics
                    for evidential purposes of course. lol

Comment

I'd be off to Council. That's a last resort, but it seems you're there. The guy could have worked something out with you, surely, but if he's abusive and ignoring you then what option do you have?

Lawyers help in these circumstances is generally, btw, overkill and non-cost-effective except in general advice terms of giving you a general knowledge of height to boundary issues (if the lawyer happens to have a handle on them) and helping you talk effectively to council.

Comment

Well since our last talk, he has seems to have taken it down, it might be related to the fact that he has dug out under his house like a mole, and this is a little harder to consent than just simple garden shield.

I guess the idea of the council poking around, and discovering this and other things perhaps?, might now be the tool I need to leash this dog.

He might turn out to be a good neighbor after all, time will tell.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Seems that th neighbour can think and see logic after all - bigger issues for him than a shed. Well done TF

Comment

The excavations under the house probably hide an underground dope plantation!
                            FWIW, I wouldn't hesitate to go to the council if he had continued to build the way he was. It would significantly affect the value of your property and make it harder to sell.
                            You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Possibly, but i was trying not to be so explicit about it. I feel that would give him more credit as he seems to be stupid more than criminal but hay he does have a lot of energy and is paranoid to some extent about privacy – so I cant be sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X