Header Ad Module

Collapse

ASB move 1 to 5 year fixed rates up

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • mortgage broker
    Fanatical
    • Mar 2008
    • 1245

    #1

    ASB move 1 to 5 year fixed rates up

    Will be interesting to see if other banks follow, the biggest increase have been on the 1 to 2 year rates I feel. Westpac and KiwiBank moved its 6 month rate in the past week.

    http://www.interest.co.nz/borrowing/mortgages/?100
    Hamish Patel | ph: 09 625 4693 | mob: 021 625 693
    My Website
    Be informed - register for our free monthly newsletter

  • donna
    Administrator
    • Aug 2003
    • 10072

    #2
    I got in just in time phew!

    Cheers,

    Donna
    Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk


    BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

    Comment

    • Tan
      Fanatical
      • Nov 2008
      • 1444

      #3
      Originally posted by donna View Post
      I got in just in time phew!
      Me too! My theory is that I am now an excellent judge of rate changes. (had to say that while I can )

      Comment

      • shanecarruthers
        Opinionated
        • Feb 2009
        • 176

        #4
        I've been on less than 5% for a longtime now, so any change is going to be huge adjustment.

        Comment

        • phillipat
          Freshie
          • Aug 2011
          • 5

          #5
          I personally dont see the rates being increased for very long. Just take a look at the world's economies. Who are we kidding here in NZ to think that we can be the only one's in the world stupid enough to starting hiking rates big time? Reminds me of all the advisors who were telling everyone to fix rates two years ago, because they were going to be at 8% by the end of 2010

          Comment

          • shanecarruthers
            Opinionated
            • Feb 2009
            • 176

            #6
            Originally posted by phillipat View Post
            Who are we kidding here in NZ to think that we can be the only one's in the world stupid enough to starting hiking rates big time?
            Tell the banks that

            Comment

            • phillipat
              Freshie
              • Aug 2011
              • 5

              #7
              I'm sure all the rates be back on the decline within 6-9 months. So I, for one wouldn't be fixing anything. Been there done that after previously listening to all the so called 'fortune rate tellers'

              Comment

              • shanecarruthers
                Opinionated
                • Feb 2009
                • 176

                #8
                Yip I intend to float until the end of the year at least.

                Comment

                • drelly
                  Fanatical
                  • Jan 2004
                  • 5838

                  #9
                  Another vote for floating at the moment. Unless the USD exchange rate drops, I don't see any room for rate rises. I'm watching closely though!!
                  You can find me at: Energise Web Design

                  Comment

                  • WGN ex-property manager
                    Fanatical
                    • Jun 2007
                    • 1237

                    #10
                    Bollard will dial out the emergency .5% drop, but beyond that He'll need a steel pair of kahuna's to tighten any more.

                    Comment

                    • One
                      Fanatical
                      • Sep 2007
                      • 1255

                      #11
                      Poor banks

                      Shuttleworth said it had been a tough year for the main banks.
                      ANZ National, ASB, Bank of New Zealand, Westpac and Kiwibank saw their collective core profits rise just 2 per cent to $2.3 billion in the first half of their financial years compared to the previous six months.
                      http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/mone...gage-rates-low

                      Only a 2% increase in profit in 6 months? To only $2.3 billion? I'm so sorry for them.

                      Comment

                      • donna
                        Administrator
                        • Aug 2003
                        • 10072

                        #12
                        Umm a bummer! However it will more than likely result in redundancies like HSBC getting rid of 15,000 and a British bank = 10,000 (not small numbers aye).

                        So in that regard I guess it's probably better for us when the banks are making a good profit.

                        Cheers,

                        Donna
                        Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk


                        BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

                        Comment

                        • shanecarruthers
                          Opinionated
                          • Feb 2009
                          • 176

                          #13
                          "The latest Reserve Bank figures show that, as of June, $94.637 billion, or 56 per cent, of the country's total $169.118 billion worth of home loans were on floating rates.
                          A further $45.192 billion was fixed for terms with less than a year to run and another $21.092 billion was fixed for terms due to rollover within two years.
                          That means 95 per cent of home loans by value are currently floating or on fixed terms up for renewal within two years." Interest.co.nz

                          Comment

                          • Tan
                            Fanatical
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 1444

                            #14
                            Originally posted by shanecarruthers View Post
                            That means 95 per cent of home loans by value are currently floating or on fixed terms up for renewal within two years." Interest.co.nz
                            According to my guru Tony A in Thursday's weekly overview:

                            You are in the company of probably over 99% of other people sitting on a floating rate

                            Comment

                            • CJ
                              Fanatical
                              • Oct 2003
                              • 3570

                              #15
                              Based on what happened Friday, I am thinking they jumped the gun again.

                              Happy to be all floating at the moment.

                              Comment

                              Working...