Header Ad Module

Collapse

Do all fixed rates have another 2-3% to drop this year?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • dandan
    Addicted
    • Apr 2004
    • 563

    #1

    Do all fixed rates have another 2-3% to drop this year?

    Does anyone think fixed rates could drop another 2-3% from their current levels, this year?
  • drelly
    Fanatical
    • Jan 2004
    • 5838

    #2
    No. I believe that the US will have further economic shocks that will put more pressure on overseas borrowing.
    You can find me at: Energise Web Design

    Comment

    • EGU 591
      Freshie
      • Jan 2008
      • 31

      #3
      Yes, five years under 6% by september 1 2009

      Comment

      • Munga
        Opinionated
        • May 2008
        • 147

        #4
        Originally posted by EGU 591 View Post
        Yes, five years under 6% by september 1 2009
        Now don't you be getting dandan's hopes up - we need to all be conditioning him to accept that he's missed the last train on anything under 7% for 5 years - he will need to wait for the next economic crisis to arrive.

        Comment

        • Dean@Massiveaction
          Giving life my best shot
          • Jun 2005
          • 5213

          #5
          I think it's reasonably likely that short term rates could stay down for some time. I'm sticking with floating for a bit yet.

          Comment

          • EGU 591
            Freshie
            • Jan 2008
            • 31

            #6
            I only hope dandan agrees with me as he is usually right.

            I feel sorry the poor folks who paid out good money in break fees, went floating then were tricked into fixing long term at inflated rates by banks and their cronies.Still that's the herd mentality in action.

            Comment

            • Munga
              Opinionated
              • May 2008
              • 147

              #7
              Originally posted by EGU 591 View Post
              I only hope dandan agrees with me as he is usually right.

              I feel sorry the poor folks who paid out good money in break fees, went floating then were tricked into fixing long term at inflated rates by banks and their cronies.Still that's the herd mentality in action.
              What inflated rate would that be? The 6.5?

              Last week dandan and I were both posting that we thought rates would come down from 6.75 fixed for 5 years. The following day the 5 year rate jumped to 7.5 and Dandan promptly removed his posts. Are you really that sure that dandan is usually right? It could be he simply remove his posts when he gets it wrong.

              Nothing would make me happier right now if he is right mind you - as I paid out good money in break fees, went floating and missed the 6.5 the 'heard mentality in action' got the benefit of for the next 5 years. Bet they weren't scolding themselves all last weekend for their stupidness like I was.

              Oh well, it's just a case of wait and see now isn't it.
              Last edited by Munga; 03-04-2009, 03:39 PM.

              Comment

              • whitt
                Fanatical
                • Jun 2005
                • 3922

                #8
                Originally posted by Dean Letfus View Post
                I think it's reasonably likely that short term rates could stay down for some time. I'm sticking with floating for a bit yet.
                As you are floating, at which point in this interest rates cycle would you be fixing long term Dean?
                I see you suggested investors lock in the low rates the other month also.

                Comment

                • EGU 591
                  Freshie
                  • Jan 2008
                  • 31

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Munga View Post
                  What inflated rate would that be? The 6.5?

                  Last week dandan and I were both posting that we thought rates would come down from 6.75 fixed for 5 years. The following day the 5 year rate jumped to 7.5 and Dandan promptly removed his posts. Are you really that sure that dandan is usually right? It could be he simply remove his posts when he gets it wrong.

                  Nothing would make me happier right now if he is right mind you - as I paid out good money in break fees, went floating and missed the 6.5 the 'heard mentality in action' got the benefit of for the next 5 years. Bet they weren't scolding themselves all last weekend for their stupidness like I was.

                  Oh well, it's just a case of wait and see now isn't it.
                  Munga, dont scold yourself you followed your instinct and not the herd, trust your instinct wait until september and grab the 6%

                  Comment

                  • mortgage broker
                    Fanatical
                    • Mar 2008
                    • 1245

                    #10
                    Don't forget there is nothing wrong with going half long, half short.
                    Hamish Patel | ph: 09 625 4693 | mob: 021 625 693
                    My Website
                    Be informed - register for our free monthly newsletter

                    Comment

                    • dandan
                      Addicted
                      • Apr 2004
                      • 563

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Munga View Post
                      It could be he simply remove his posts when he gets it wrong.
                      Yes, I seem to be able to remove or edit posts up to about 24hrs after posting, I tried it last week.

                      Comment

                      • AnnetteS
                        Freshie
                        • Jul 2008
                        • 32

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Munga View Post
                        What inflated rate would that be? The 6.5?

                        Last week dandan and I were both posting that we thought rates would come down from 6.75 fixed for 5 years. The following day the 5 year rate jumped to 7.5 and Dandan promptly removed his posts. Are you really that sure that dandan is usually right? It could be he simply remove his posts when he gets it wrong.
                        Well spotted Munga.

                        Comment

                        • dandan
                          Addicted
                          • Apr 2004
                          • 563

                          #13
                          Originally posted by AnnetteS View Post
                          Well spotted Munga.
                          Yeah Munga that was really well spotted, I do think 5 year rates will fall below 6.75% but how did you know I removed those posts?

                          Comment

                          • outspoken
                            Fanatical
                            • Nov 2007
                            • 1062

                            #14
                            Originally posted by dandan View Post
                            Yes, I seem to be able to remove or edit posts up to about 24hrs after posting, I tried it last week.
                            Haha, nothing to do with you dandan, but the USGovt has 24 hours to get it right or they just remove their latest plan and set up a new one, despite knowing what they really should do.

                            Comment

                            • dandan
                              Addicted
                              • Apr 2004
                              • 563

                              #15
                              Originally posted by outspoken View Post
                              Haha, nothing to do with you dandan, but the USGovt has 24 hours to get it right or they just remove their latest plan and set up a new one, despite knowing what they really should do.
                              I've noticed economists are allowed to report to the media that what happened was in line with their predictions up to 24hrs after the event.

                              Perhaps they dont know the secret of GMT +2200.

                              Comment

                              Working...