Hi all!
I bet the situation I will describe here is not a common one, but I would appreciate your opinion regarding any legal trouble it might create. Or better, maybe you can let me know what section of a certain law clearly states anything about this.
Here is the story:
I am renting through an agency. I have a contract with them, all was good for the last three years, the feedback received from them was very good all the time.
I went to the local Council and asked for the contact details of the house owner. This is a perfect legal procedure, you fill in a form, they look into the system and tell you who the owner is. Free of charge. The form is called "Release of Ratepayer Details from the Rating Information Database (RID)" and is done under the Local Government (Rating) Act 2002. If the owner (the ratepayer) declared his contact details "confidential" then they are not released. In my situation, I got the name and address.
I want to contact the house owner directly and make an offer to buy the house (the property is not on the market). Assuming the owner is offended by this (I wouldn't see why, but you never know!) and he/she lets the agency know about my attempt, can the agency just kick me out from here without any reason? Or to increase rent to a level where I HAVE to vacate the property? After all, they would want to get involved in the sale and get 20-30K out of this, right? I can save that amount by initiating a "private sale". Better yet, I do not have to "move" into the house I buy, as I already live there. I wouldn't need an engineer's report as I know the house very well (in/out/under/above, etc. as I already lived here for more than three years).
What would you say it is the downside of such attempt?
Your opinions would help me a lot.
I bet the situation I will describe here is not a common one, but I would appreciate your opinion regarding any legal trouble it might create. Or better, maybe you can let me know what section of a certain law clearly states anything about this.
Here is the story:
I am renting through an agency. I have a contract with them, all was good for the last three years, the feedback received from them was very good all the time.
I went to the local Council and asked for the contact details of the house owner. This is a perfect legal procedure, you fill in a form, they look into the system and tell you who the owner is. Free of charge. The form is called "Release of Ratepayer Details from the Rating Information Database (RID)" and is done under the Local Government (Rating) Act 2002. If the owner (the ratepayer) declared his contact details "confidential" then they are not released. In my situation, I got the name and address.
I want to contact the house owner directly and make an offer to buy the house (the property is not on the market). Assuming the owner is offended by this (I wouldn't see why, but you never know!) and he/she lets the agency know about my attempt, can the agency just kick me out from here without any reason? Or to increase rent to a level where I HAVE to vacate the property? After all, they would want to get involved in the sale and get 20-30K out of this, right? I can save that amount by initiating a "private sale". Better yet, I do not have to "move" into the house I buy, as I already live there. I wouldn't need an engineer's report as I know the house very well (in/out/under/above, etc. as I already lived here for more than three years).
What would you say it is the downside of such attempt?
Your opinions would help me a lot.


Comment