Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing towbar on car - a deductible expense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing towbar on car - a deductible expense?

Hi guys,

I would like to put on a towbar to the car to cart rubbish away from the IP. The cost is about $500. Is this a deductible cost?

Cheers.

I have claimed it....but then again i have a 3 month log showing 80% business use of my vechile

Comment

Ok, so if I don't have a log book, I should be able to claim 25% of it?

But thanks for the reply.

Comment

Originally posted by lidistick View Post
        I would like to put on a towbar to the car to cart rubbish away from the IP. The cost is about $500. Is this a deductible cost?
        100% deductible if it's a business vehicle.
        Pro rata, if not. Be aware of the GST
        implications, though.

Comment

What Perry said. Where did you get 25% from? You need a log book if the vehicle is in your own name.
          You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Originally posted by drelly View Post
            What Perry said. Where did you get 25% from? You need a log book if the vehicle is in your own name.

From here.
            • You can use the result of your three months' recording to claim the business share of your vehicle expenses over the next three years, provided your business use of the vehicle does not change by more than 20%.
            • You should still keep records of the total vehicle running costs and record the total distance travelled for the income tax year.
            • If you do not keep a vehicle logbook you may claim up to 25% of the vehicle running costs as a business expense. However, you could be asked to substantiate the percentage claimed.
            • Alternatively, you may use Inland Revenue mileage rates to make a claim on your vehicle.

Cheers.

Comment

Ahrm yeah.... but... you're kinda missing the point. You can claim 99.9% if you want but you could be asked to substantiate the percentage claimed. That's the important bit, not the "25%".

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
                100% deductible if it's a business vehicle.
                Pro rata, if not. Be aware of the GST
                implications, though.

Please elabourate.

www.3888444.co.nz
                Facebook Page

Comment

I totally agree with you its subjective and IRD could ask me etc.
                  According to my accountant (when spoken to previously- and not specifically about this issue), its unlikely given the small and miniscule amounts I'm claiming in vehicle expenses

Comment

Originally posted by Keys View Post
                    Please elaborate.
                    If the rubbish removed is from residential IP's
                    only, is there not a risk that claiming the GST
                    may be disallowed by IRD - presuming the
                    claimant to be GST registered, of course.
                    (i.e. for other business activities)

Comment

Lidistick,
                      I agree, you are unlikely to be audited based upon your vehicles expenses but they are likely to ask for proof if they audit you, whatever the reason.

Perry,
                      If he's a residential investor, then he won't be registered for GST and would just deduct the whole expense.
                      Last edited by drelly; 22-09-2008, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Thanks for that.
                        I'm not registered for GST.

Car has been used for other business. Estimated business use last year was 80%. This business entity has since been dissolved.

Many thanks for the input

Comment

Originally posted by drelly View Post
                          Perry,
                          If he's a residential investor, then he won't be registered for GST and would just deduct the whole expense.
                          I was suggesting caution if the poster was registered for GST
                          and made use of the same vehicle for GST assessable earning
                          activities. In reality, it may be that De Minimus Non Curat Lex
                          would apply. And I suspect that most accountants would take
                          that stance, too. But one can never 'trust' the IRD.

But yes, if not registered for GST, it's straightforward. Or
                          should be.

Comment

Deductibility of expenses

Essentially, from a tax or accounting point of view, the Income Tax Act (section DA 1: General permissions) allow the deduction of expenses if they meet the criteria of having a nexus to the derivation of income or income generating activities. In this case the income derivating activity is the removal of waste to maintain your property. HOWEVER. Be very careful, as the installation of a towbar is dodgy area. You may be able to justify or you may not- depends on how much you actually use it for business use. If you use it 50-50 with personal use, I would claim 50% of it.

Please let me know if this helps or if you have any other questions.

Cheers

Comment

No it will be use solely for small trips to the dump for garden waste from the IP. No boats or other bits to tow. Our property has hardly any garden and our gardener sees to that anyway

Comment

Working...
                              X