Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Someone Teach me the Basics of Commercial Property?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JBM View Post
    Sorry I mean does a novice Commercial property owner need to use a property manager for say a industry property that has a long term nationwide tenant that pays all outgoings >>>
    Hi JBM. You can also send me a pm if you want and I'll be happy to have a chat. Currently employed as a commercial property manager and have worked in various commercial property jobs for around 15 years.

Comment

Originally posted by JBM View Post
      Brilliant .............look forward to it
      Oh goodness I messed ... again...
      I forgot to turn the recorder on so missed recording the meeting...
      Oh well there is always another day.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn View Post
        Oh goodness I messed ... again...
        I forgot to turn the recorder on so missed recording the meeting...
        Oh well there is always another day.
        Hi Glenn,

I've been reading this topic as I'm in the process of reading and learning (or trying to). Are you still doing commercial property?.

Comment

Originally posted by Magusb View Post
          Hi Glenn,

I've been reading this topic as I'm in the process of reading and learning (or trying to). Are you still doing commercial property?.
          Have you read any books on commercial properties? Or perhaps organise a meetup with people have done it?

Comment

I read Olly Newlands one what are some other good ones?
            Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick G View Post
              I read Olly Newlands one what are some other good ones?
              Empower education turns out a good one (read a chapter or two)
              I think you just need to jump in and buy something

Comment

I think thats the same book. I just won (always dubious) a tender on a resi development. Think commercial is next.
                Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Beano View Post
                  Have you read any books on commercial properties? Or perhaps organise a meetup with people have done it?
                  Yes, I have already read 2 specific:

- Commercial real estate investor's guide : making money as a commercial property investor in New Zealand - Peter Aranyi
                  - How investing in commercial property really works - Martin Roth and Chris Lang

I have also read the Rascal's guide to real estate from Olly Newland where dedicate a couple of chapters to commercial property.

No, I haven't organized any meet up as I don't know anyone yet in WLG who invest in commercial unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Magusb View Post
                    Hi Glenn,

Sorry folks I missed answering this query.
                    Yes still doing my own commercial properties.
                    Retired these days from managing other peoples.
                    Not that I have a huge portfolio but have dipped my toe into the shark invested world.
                    Plenty of money there when things are going well and a great way to lose it quickly when everything goes wrong.
                    Just try to find some RE agent or "training / book writer" guru to tell you how to dig yourself out of the poo and you will understand what I mean.
                    A few months ago I sat beside a business owner for 6 hours convincing him to stay and sign up for another three years.
                    It took so long because he was selling everything in his shop as a fire sale.
                    He stayed and put a new manager in plus supplied some more stock and now seems to be doing much better.
                    How many commercial property investors would give a tenant that much effort to keep in business.

Comment

• Originally posted by Glenn View Post
                      Sorry folks I missed answering this query.
                      Yes still doing my own commercial properties.
                      Retired these days from managing other peoples.
                      Not that I have a huge portfolio but have dipped my toe into the shark invested world.
                      Plenty of money there when things are going well and a great way to lose it quickly when everything goes wrong.
                      Just try to find some RE agent or "training / book writer" guru to tell you how to dig yourself out of the poo and you will understand what I mean.
                      A few months ago I sat beside a business owner for 6 hours convincing him to stay and sign up for another three years.
                      It took so long because he was selling everything in his shop as a fire sale.
                      He stayed and put a new manager in plus supplied some more stock and now seems to be doing much better.
                      How many commercial property investors would give a tenant that much effort to keep in business.
                      Yes the more I looked into commercial property in the lower south the more I found it was going be a more risky stressful path ....
                      for one the banks wanted it paid off 15yrs or sooner(plus higher rates) .. then you always had a chance of tenants to boost or bankrupting >>
                      dealing with agents and private salesmen anything decent was leasehold land or the tenant was overpaying and most likely a scam with the owner>> then pretty much most were very old and earthquake prone >>

Not that residential rentals are any better ...good mate just spent 100k on 220k rental property(lucky insurance paid) as rental was P-contaminated within months of being rented out >> another guy same town rented his recently reno investment to sister to help her out and sadly had the same issues and insurance wouldn't payout as he hadn't put a Rental contract in place >> $50k in damage >>

I will certainly keep looking but in the meantime the ASX is making me some great trading profits.. with great flexibility of funding movement
                      Last edited by JBM; 08-07-2017, 12:55 AM.

Comment

• Learn how to invest in commercial property - free info evening 13 july

See here - https://www.propertytalk.com/forum/s...e-Info-Evening
                        Last edited by cube; 10-07-2017, 08:41 PM. Reason: Post is in C.E.
                        OllyN [email protected]
                        Independent Property Consultant
                        Residential and Commercial Solutions

Comment

• Not trying to be rude, but Olly's post should be in the Caveat Emptor thread.
                          Squadly dinky do!

Comment

• Right finally found my once only read copy of

-Commercial real estate investor's guide : making money as a commercial property investor in New Zealand - Peter Aranyi

which is a great read certainly helped me

$35 includes post ....PM and I will post early in the week

Comment

• Hi JBM, Is that book still available ?

Comment

• Sorry guys book is sold ... and personally didn't really rate it ... all pretty basic stuff ..no great insight around the areas I wanted help with ...maybe more pre chch earthquake easier lending times focused

I need a book for present times where banks now are so anti risk NBS% focused.......pushing forced captial payback to fixed lease terms... really the important issues one faces to secure a good commercial property and getting the lending to BUY it...
                                Last edited by JBM; 23-10-2017, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X