Davo Tries Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yep, I think you're right BK.

With all the council hassles, it wasn't until I got councillors and the CEO involved that things got sorted.

I guess I just expect someone will have some commonsense, and be able to see my point of view. And also I don't want to bother the higher ups with small problems which should be able to be easily fixed.

A terribly naive view I've come to accept, especially concerning the council!
    Squadly dinky do!

Comment

• Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
      The verandahs are for the public's benefit. They are there to keep the public dry. Whereas the council argues that balconies are for private benefit - they are there for the tenant's enjoyment only. so for the former, you don't have to pay anything for the airspace, whereas for the latter, you do.
      Aha - a benefit. But are private people not part of the body public?

Have fun with this one, David.

Building owner tries to charge council rent for air
      A building owner wanting to charge the council for "air space rental" has delayed a central
      city decoration project and been branded "outrageous" by a councillor.
      Last edited by Perry; 28-10-2015, 12:17 PM.

Comment

• Your link is wrong - got an extra http// at the start

Comment

• Ooops! Thanks.
          Fixed, now.

Comment

• Haha yeah, not the same when the shoe is on the other foot aye?

It's very hard not to be cynical about these council types.

Everything they want to do, they think they should be able to do with minimal impediment and cost. Just like the rest of us...
            Squadly dinky do!

Comment

• and then when they call to ask you to be reasonable

tell them you'll be back in a moment

put the phone by the radio

and carry on with whatever you were doing until you're finished

if they'll still there and angry

ask them to put it all down on paper and post it to you
              have you defeated them?
              your demons

Comment

Haha yeah, not the same when the shoe is on the other foot aye?
                Outrageous, it is, I tell you!

Pot - meet kettle.

Comment

• Any updates on this one DaveO?

Just sent this link to a reporter as it shows the problems which are caused by councils.

www.3888444.co.nz
                  Facebook Page

Comment

• Oh gosh Keys.

I continued this blog on a private one I had for some time. Went for dozens more pages.

Yes, I was just reflecting today, that building houses still isn't a lot easier than it was back then. Lots of examples of people having a lot of trouble and expense in dealing with Auckland Council.

The property did settle down, after a while and has been good ever since. The commercial rents in Papakura have gone up a bit, and the residential rents have gone up quite a bit more.

So I just collect the income and maintain the place. There has been a bit of maintenance due to age recently - the electrical/electronic stuff is now 10 years old, so starting to fail. So had to replace a couple of auto door controllers, intercom etc.

I sometimes think of selling, but I have no idea what I would do with the money.
                    Squadly dinky do!

Comment

• I have approval/resources to buy up to $2mil for my next adventure. Was thinking of trying to get a site in Auckland, put 6 townhouses on it, sell four and keep the others. I haven't done this yet but I'm sure the numbers would be there. Councils to be honest scare me enough not to try. I'm comfortable taking risks I can plan around but the whims of public servants...
                      Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

• Nick - with that sort of coin you should be looking out my way.
                        1 - Eastern Porirua Development announced by One Term Ardern
                        2 - The (draft) District Plan re-zoning much of the area medium density
                        3 - HLC already working the plan for the area

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick G View Post
                          I have approval/resources to buy up to $2mil for my next adventure. Was thinking of trying to get a site in Auckland, put 6 townhouses on it, sell four and keep the others. I haven't done this yet but I'm sure the numbers would be there. Councils to be honest scare me enough not to try. I'm comfortable taking risks I can plan around but the whims of public servants...
                          Land + build will alone set you back $2.5-$3M (quality house)
                          Council will then bury you in the paperwork(costs)

But seriously can anyone share their experience of building townhouses/Terraces , what is the optimum or min units to make it worthwhile.
                          I know John bolton build built 11 Terrace houses before the boom and he barely broke even Never again he said. Of course the price has gone up significantly know so have all the costs.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueSky View Post
                            Land + build will alone set you back $2.5-$3M (quality house)
                            Council will then bury you in the paperwork(costs)

But seriously can anyone share their experience of building townhouses/Terraces , what is the optimum or min units to make it worthwhile.
                            I know John bolton build built 11 Terrace houses before the boom and he barely broke even Never again he said. Of course the price has gone up significantly know so have all the costs.
                            Did John Bolton factor in the costs before settling on the land, perhaps the price of the land needed to be re-negotiated? Did he communicate his intentions with council during a feasibility study before going unconditional purchase of the land? You make your money and setup the plan at time of buying.
                            Last edited by DaveW; 04-10-2019, 01:15 PM.
                            Profiting from Property, not People

Want free help on taking your portfolio to the next level?

Comment

I sometimes think of selling, but I have no idea what I would do with the money.
                              Buy a value-add commercial property?
                              Profiting from Property, not People

Want free help on taking your portfolio to the next level?

Comment

• Another Populist, Deceptive Rhetoric Myth.

Originally posted by DaveW View Post
                                You make your money . . . at time of buying.
                                That's simply not true.

The best you can hope for at time of buying is to ensure the potential for profit.

At the time of buying, the cash flow is all outwards.

Comment

Working...
                                X