No announcement yet.

Any investors out there under 35

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haha property is just another game, albeit with higher stakes, so we shouldn't be surprised to bump into each other again lol

Comment

Originally posted by MikeO View Post
      Why would you specifically want to network with young investors? sounds like a recipe for disaster to me...
      You have to remember that with each generation the human DNA evolves, therefore the younger generations are more advanced version of humans so we want to communicate with others who understand us.

Comment

I am 35 and own 3 properties, buy and hold strategy. As I'm overseas I can't pop down the pub to hang out, but can network online - always enjoy learning more from others of any age.

I am glad to see quite a few younger folk investing and apparently doing well - so not all young people are trapped in an instant-gratification mindset! Even those of us who started with nothing, we have shown that with a frugal lifestyle and a willingness to have a go and get stuck in, it's still possible to invest in property, and hopefully prosper, as some of our grandparents have done. Meanwhile, many of our peers are splashing their money around and moaning about the cost of living getting so high. And think we're so 'lucky' to own property!

Comment

ahh the stomach churning enthusiasm of youth...

Originally posted by KyronGosse View Post
          You have to remember that with each generation the human DNA evolves, therefore the younger generations are more advanced version of humans so we want to communicate with others who understand us.
          Ahh, those were the days. I remember when I was young and naiive and thought that to be the case as well. In fact not that long ago (believe me you go from 25 to 37 in a heartbeat and wonder what the heck happened!!!).

Seriously though = I see the point re similar stage of life etc and it is reasonably valid. On the other hand though that the 'older' generation has actually been there and made the same mistakes you are almost gaurenteed to repeat.

We also have anecdotes which if you weren't doomed to disregard as boring stories you might actually find insightful= case in point - when I was getting started it felt a bit like I'd missed the boat as my baby boomer parents could buy a house for $30k whereas I had to pay $90k (I earned around 30k straight out of uni so 3x pre tax salary). Now you are looking at maybe $250k absolute minimum and I doubt there are too many first year graduates earning $80k+ (certainly none of the ones who work for me are!).

Think your generation has got it harder still. Also I wonder in 10 years time when you are a boring old coot preaching to the young wipper snappers looking down the barrel of $1.5M for a first home about how you could get a foothold in the market under $400k. I doubt it though. More likely the baby boomers who have been buying up rental properties pushing first homes out of your reach will start dying leaving a massive over supply of housing and you will be left carrying the can. Mark my words young lady/man. (that's the end of the anecdote. you might understand it one day when you have some life experience at which time you will wish you thought about it. until then it will be a boring story).

Comment

We never ever said that we didn't want to network with older investors, we just wanted to make a place where the younger investors could catch up and chat with each other. Most of the people I have talked to so far are in some sort of mentoring group and are all in their local PIA.

Comment

Originally posted by drelly View Post
              I am also 30-12. 1970 was a good year!
              Hear Hear!
              Profiting from Property, not People

Want free help on taking your portfolio to the next level?

Comment

Good idea, get your "young" group together.
                But whatever you do have old codgers with (realestate) battle scars come to your meetings and shut up and listen ...

Comment

Originally posted by TheLiberalLeft View Post
                  Does thirty-twelve count?
                  Well, I never: No cries of ageist and/or ageism?

TLL must be getting soft. Or senile. Or . . .

Comment

...or, perhaps stalking isn't as noble a passtime as you think.

The op asked if there was anyone investing under 35. A fair question in my book. On the other hand, if he had of said all investors over 45 are washed up, and think they're going to live forever and are deluded, I might have said something along those lines.

Comment

Lets hope not all of these properties are over-geared, situated in poor locations, or purchased without an exit strategy.
                      Profiting from Property, not People

Want free help on taking your portfolio to the next level?

Comment

28, into property investment/development and anything entrepreneurial really. Would be keen to join a an auckland "young" property investors group.

Comment

Hi, I'm 30, based in Akl, am into property, development (v. small scale so far) and potentially alternative investments - metals, resource stocks in asia, etc. I'm a kiwi, but grew up in Asia through the 1997-8 Crisis, am an engineer and a fairly avid investment reader.

I also am particularly interested in the macro/global environment, amid talk by some hedge-fund players about the potential for sovereign defaults in many G20 nations. And what might it mean for our banks, interest rates and us NZ property investors?

Slow down or full speed (& gearing) ahead? [in moderation, of course ]

Any thoughts?
                          Last edited by Systemic Risk; 09-01-2013, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Did my first property development age- 24 here in Queenstown these days more into the sharemarket but still like property investment when the numbers look good ..

Comment

Hey there. New to the forum and the property market as a whole. 23 years of age but looking to get the ball rolling in the property game. Wellington-based at the moment and just checking out forums/listings/etc trying to get some basic knowledge of my area. Will get along to some PIA events in the near future and possibly join just to gather more knowledge and information from people that have done it before.

Is there an "Introduce Yourself" part to this forum?

Comment

Sort-of. Try here.

Comment

Working...
                                X