Header Ad Module

Collapse

Advertising for rent

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Re@der
    Addicted
    • Jan 2006
    • 570

    #1

    Advertising for rent

    To those of you that find your own tenants. In the Wellington area, where are you advertising these days to get tenants?
    There seems to be significantly fewer ads in the Dominion and anecdotally trademe then homeads.co.nz seems to be the first ports of call for rental information. Are my contacts of renters giving me skewed evidence or is this a reality in June 2006?
    Doug
  • Glenn
    Fanatical
    • Jun 2005
    • 3861

    #2
    You could also try finda.co.nz Their service is free and I am getting lots of enquiries from them.

    Comment

    • RentMaster
      Addicted
      • Jun 2005
      • 914

      #3
      You could also try trademe.co.nz . Not free, but not expensive either.

      Comment

      • Lizard
        Freshie
        • Sep 2004
        • 63

        #4
        Last property I rented I didn't even bother to use the dominion post. Got many replys from mostly trademe.co.nz and also from finda.co.nz.

        Viewing the listings on Trademe.co.nz on a regular basis also tells you what's renting and how much for and what is sticking around. You need to check them often because the good ones go quickly.

        Comment

        • No Regrets
          Opinionated
          • Apr 2005
          • 148

          #5
          Trademe is king

          I second the recommendations for TradeMe, we just rented one of ours within a couple of hours of listing it, and got plenty of intereseted other parties.....hmmm maybe we were too cheap
          No Regrets

          Comment

          • Bodmin
            Opinionated
            • Apr 2004
            • 102

            #6
            I have also used Trade and Exchange as well as the sites metioned above.

            Comment

            • BusyLizzy
              ***** Junkie
              • Apr 2005
              • 2311

              #7
              When considering TradeMe or Finda, consider your target market. If you're in the cheaper rental end, are they likely to have computer access? In those cases, I find local community papers work best. Middle/top end rentals are much more suited for the online options.
              Lisa

              Comment

              • Glenn
                Fanatical
                • Jun 2005
                • 3861

                #8
                I must be the last person in NZ to use trademe.
                I just posted my first "thing" to sell on it yesterday. Like who on earth would be wanting a coal fired boiler like I am wanting to sell.
                Anway for ordinary rentals it looks a bit expensive for property managers like me to list. Yet I see some real estate agents there. Can someone enlighten me. How does it work for high users like me.

                Comment

                • Ivanhoe
                  Fanatical
                  • Jul 2005
                  • 1156

                  #9
                  Glenn, contact them using this:

                  and explain that you are potential high-volume user and hence will create heaps of value for THEM listing rentals in you region and making THEM more popular there and increasing rents section traffic, so what do they have to offer you in return?
                  Don't argue with idiots, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

                  Comment

                  • roseneath_rat
                    Fanatical
                    • Jun 2005
                    • 1111

                    #10
                    Glenn am I missing something here, or don't you pass on the listing fees to the landlord?

                    Comment

                    • artemis
                      Fanatical
                      • May 2004
                      • 3102

                      #11
                      Wellington - I use Finda and the DomPost

                      Sometimes also the Vic university accommodation listing site. The latter generates quite a few enquiries but no lets so far. It's harder to use than the others.

                      Finda is v good - apart from free it allows several photos. I've let several times via Finda.

                      Comment

                      • Glenn
                        Fanatical
                        • Jun 2005
                        • 3861

                        #12
                        Originally posted by roseneath_rat
                        Glenn am I missing something here, or don't you pass on the listing fees to the landlord?
                        Over the years my charging system has evolved. Currently we just charge a flat marketing fee of $100 per property we let. We let the swings and roundabouts average it out for the benefit of the owners. Obvoiusly I am always sensitive about the size of the account for our clients and try to keep costs down as much as possible.
                        Since posting my earlier question I have had another read of the trademe site and I think they must have a special rate for high users. Will see what they have to offer. At the moment I am using finda and this is free. No wonder trademe fetched such a enormous price. I can not see trademe matching their price. I just dream and hope that more and more tenants and landlords will migrate to finda. Must rush I think that phone ringing could be the newspaper wanting to offer me a zillion $.

                        Comment

                        • JAK
                          Freshie
                          • Sep 2005
                          • 25

                          #13
                          I just thought I’d post the websites I use when I’m tenanting a flat in Wellington.
                          For years it’s been the Dom Post, and I do still use the paper, but I usually rent the flat before the Friday deadline for the Saturday morning paper.
                          Generally as soon as the tenant hands in their notice, I list the flat on the sites below.

                          www.finda.co.nz
                          www.flatfinder.co.nz
                          www.nzflats.co.nz
                          www.homeads.co.nz

                          then if the flat doesn’t go, I use this site:-
                          www.adstuff.co.nz The Dominion Post ad site online, this is a great site, you can place an ad in most papers, put on credit card and when the ads published you also get the ad on their website with a photo. (Good for provincial town papers i.e. Kapiti Observor). Highly recommended.

                          I have used Trademe, but I figure why pay if the free sites do the job.

                          Comment

                          • cube
                            Thinking outside the square.
                            • Jun 2005
                            • 5076

                            #14
                            Am using trademe at the moment, and my experience (although not that of others, I know. Maybe it depends on the market) is (compared to the Western Leader):

                            Moderate number of enquiries.
                            Higher number than normal of 'no shows' after making an appointment to view.
                            A few 'We Buy Houses' people asking to buy the house.

                            cube
                            DFTBA

                            Comment

                            • Re@der
                              Addicted
                              • Jan 2006
                              • 570

                              #15
                              Trade me appears to be quite good

                              I have with drawn after a couple of days on trade me as I have very good back ups to the backup to the proposed that I am reference checking. $20 faily well spent.

                              Seems to be plenty of demand more than 700 people viewed details online, 15 contacted to view in 2 days but as Cube pointed out quite a few no shows, but I had that in traditional newspapers as well.
                              Doug

                              Comment

                              Working...