Header Ad Module

Collapse

My Property World, by Bob Jones

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Julian
    Fanatical
    • Jan 2005
    • 1524

    #1

    My Property World, by Bob Jones

    Having just finished Bob Jones' latest book, "My Property World", I feel it is the best damned book on property, and more importantly, entrepreneurship, to come out of New Zealand since ...well, to be honest, since his previous property book, "Jones on Property".

    Some readers may get caught up on Jones' sarcastic and sometimes sexist remarks, but to do so is to miss the true gift that Jones' is offerring us here.

    He is bold, sometimes brash, and tolerates fools not a jot. At the same time he is Buffetesque in his wisdom and in his belief that integrity is everything.

    For example, he points out the essential behavioural differences between those airline passengers of economy class, business class, and first class. He suggests that those in economy class largely watch the movies, those in business class predominantly watch computer screens, and those in first class are noted for reading books. With this he draws an apt comparison about how individuals choose to stimulate their minds and the wealth they obviously accrue.

    He largely rubbishes the burgeoning seminar market, except as a springboard for newbies. He rightly notes that the drive, enthusiasm, intelligence and wit that defines an entrepreneur comes from deep within, and that all the seminars in the world will not a dullard transform. Nor will they enlighten the masses to the secrets of success, by virtue of the fact that the act of enlightening simultaneously removes the secrecy factor.

    As a point of contrast, another well known commercial property player, whose public company collapsed in a grand scale, but who actively touts himself as one of the best minds in the business, often brags about little tricks and deceptions he engineered to give himself some pecunary advantage over his feeble opponent. Whilst, on first glance, this might appear clever, such behaviour demeans one's integrity. Bob Jones, a boxer, prefers a clean fight. It is a fight he usually wins, but not by hitting below the belt.

    If you are serious about entrepreneurship and are biased towards commercial property this book is simply a "must read" in my not-so-humble opinion. It is the first book in quite some time that I am eager to re-read.

    Julian
    Last edited by Julian; 24-08-2005, 12:30 PM.
    Gimme $20k. You will receive some well packaged generic advice that will put you on the road to riches beyond your wildest dreams ...yeah right!
  • graemeh
    Addicted
    • Sep 2003
    • 921

    #2
    I have almost finished reading this book. Like Julian I think it is very good.

    I believe one of the key messages is that you have to devote time to thinking and pay attention to what is going on around you.

    I am booked to attend the seminar that Bob mentions in his book. I will be interested to see what my feelings on the seminar are after I've been. I also plan to use the time in Auckland to look at the market there and think about where it is going.

    Comment

    • fudosan
      Reaching out to Asia
      • Jun 2004
      • 2084

      #3
      For example, he points out the essential behavioural differences between those airline passengers of economy class, business class, and first class. He suggests that those in economy class largely watch the movies, those in business class predominantly watch computer screens, and those in first class are noted for reading books. With this he draws an apt comparison about how individuals chose to stimulate their minds and the wealth they obviously accrue.
      That's exactly what dawned on me when I read this book. He has said in many occasions the importance of READ and THINK to be successful. While I have difficulty with his personality, I agree there is a lot of truth to the need to read, think, "look for an angle" (a theme in his earlier work Full Circle), and then act.

      Comment

      • Julian
        Fanatical
        • Jan 2005
        • 1524

        #4
        GraemeH,
        Which seminar was that? I did not recall any recommendatios for seminars. For the most part he spoke quite disparagingly about the seminar industry, despite at one time being named in the Guinness Book of Records as the highest paid speaker - but that was back in the 1970s.
        Julian
        Gimme $20k. You will receive some well packaged generic advice that will put you on the road to riches beyond your wildest dreams ...yeah right!

        Comment

        • graemeh
          Addicted
          • Sep 2003
          • 921

          #5
          Originally posted by Julian
          GraemeH,
          Which seminar was that? I did not recall any recommendatios for seminars. For the most part he spoke quite disparagingly about the seminar industry, despite at one time being named in the Guinness Book of Records as the highest paid speaker - but that was back in the 1970s.
          Julian
          It wasn't a recommendation! It's the Empower commercial investing course which he was rather scathing about (while also blasting the whole idea of seminars). I plan to go along to find out for myself and also to meet people.

          If I'm not working around the time of the seminar I'll probably drive to Auckland and spend a week or so up there just looking around to see what the market is like up there.

          Comment

          • kickingbird
            Freshie
            • Jun 2005
            • 90

            #6
            Hey where can I get a hold of these Bob Jones books? I've tried Amazon and fishpond with no luck...
            any other recommended reads?
            - The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. -

            Comment

            • graemeh
              Addicted
              • Sep 2003
              • 921

              #7
              Originally posted by kickingbird
              Hey where can I get a hold of these Bob Jones books? I've tried Amazon and fishpond with no luck...
              any other recommended reads?
              Try Propertytalk Book Store.

              I couldn't find a copy there but I got mine at Dymocks. I assume Whitcoulls has it also. The older books may be a challenge though.

              Comment

              • muppet
                Banned
                • Sep 2003
                • 10593

                #8
                Try Trademe
                Last edited by muppet; 24-08-2005, 06:51 PM.

                Comment

                • fudosan
                  Reaching out to Asia
                  • Jun 2004
                  • 2084

                  #9
                  For Jones on Property, try book fairs or second-hand bookstores.

                  Comment

                  • donna
                    Administrator
                    • Aug 2003
                    • 10069

                    #10
                    I read this thread earlier today and asked our supplier to see if they can source the book so we can have it in our bookstore.

                    Got me thinking some more.....maybe we need a 'buy, sell & swap' section in our bookstore! Would that be useful to you?

                    Cheers,

                    Donna
                    Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk


                    BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

                    Comment

                    • fudosan
                      Reaching out to Asia
                      • Jun 2004
                      • 2084

                      #11
                      Originally posted by donna
                      maybe we need a 'buy, sell & swap' section in our bookstore! Would that be useful to you?
                      Better concentrate on property investment, NZ in particular. Leave it to TradeMe.

                      Comment

                      • duvetray
                        Opinionated
                        • Dec 2004
                        • 124

                        #12
                        great post Julian, You have inspired me with your review to grab a copy of the book, i read Jones on property many years ago and perhaps it was a little early for me to really appreciate it but i did take some lessons from it, I repect bob Jones immensely with his no nonsense approach to life, he is also a very talented writer check out "Full Circle"- a modern morality tale" absolutely brilliant read & "Wimp Walloping" out of print now but u may find it at second hand book stores or trade me and very appropriate for todays times.
                        Last edited by duvetray; 24-08-2005, 09:09 PM.
                        Kia kaha

                        Comment

                        • fudosan
                          Reaching out to Asia
                          • Jun 2004
                          • 2084

                          #13
                          Originally posted by duvetray
                          "Full Circle"- a modern morality tale" absolutely brilliant read & "Wimp Walloping" out of print now but u may find it at second hand book stores or trade me and very appropriate for todays times.
                          They are available from the libraries. I just finished reading Full Circle and picked up the following pieces from the book.

                          * "Most government initiatives ultimately produce an outcome the opposite of that intended."
                          * "Success has nothing to do with intelligence; it's all about desire."
                          * "The most successful are those who know how to work the system rather than actually doing anything innovative or significant."
                          * "All power is a bluff."


                          Would you mind sharing with us somethings you have picked up from "Wimp Walloping" that you feel are very appropriate for todays times?

                          Comment

                          • duvetray
                            Opinionated
                            • Dec 2004
                            • 124

                            #14
                            Just Bob Jones take on political correctness and the media, was written a long time ago but was almost looking ahead to what we see today in NZ & the UK for that matter
                            Kia kaha

                            Comment

                            • Julian
                              Fanatical
                              • Jan 2005
                              • 1524

                              #15
                              duvetray,

                              I have most of Bob Jones' books - all but one, I believe. For those with an interest in New Zealand political history I can thoroughly recommend "Memories of Muldoon". It was so very, very insightful, and showed a side to Robert Muldoon that not many of the general public saw or understood.

                              The only book I didn't much go for was "True Facts" which laboured the point excessively.

                              Incidentally if anyone has a copy of his 1974 book, "The First Twelve Months - The Achievements of The Third Labour Government" I will pay good money for a copy, despite every page being blank.

                              Julian
                              Last edited by Julian; 25-08-2005, 10:39 AM.
                              Gimme $20k. You will receive some well packaged generic advice that will put you on the road to riches beyond your wildest dreams ...yeah right!

                              Comment

                              Working...