Header Ad Module

Collapse

Currency Contortion Conundrum

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • spaceman
    Banned
    • Feb 2004
    • 2817

    #256
    More LOLZ

    Originally posted by Perry View Post
    What then is 'the system as a whole' that created the money?

    I agree with you on this. Bad bit of writing by Encyclopaedia Britannica Online Edition IMHO....... not that I'm the greatest proofreader in the world.

    Surely if the banks didn't create the money and the banks are the system then the system also didn't create any money ....... can't have it both ways ..... maybe there is some secret part of the system that the people from Encyclopaedia Britannica Online Edition know about but we mere mortals don't?????

    Cheers
    Spaceman
    Last edited by spaceman; 16-08-2009, 10:46 PM.

    Comment

    • Perry
      Geriatric
      • Sep 2004
      • 16861

      #257
      Go back and read it more carefully. The article
      did not say
      the banks didn't create the money

      the article said
      no individual bank created money
      Originally posted by Spaceman
      Maybe there is some secret part of the system
      that the people from Encyclopaedia Britannica
      Online Edition know about but we mere
      mortals don't?
      Despite that you've slightly misquoted the
      Encyclopaedia Britannica folks, you may be
      partly right. I suspect that most mere mortals
      don't.

      As in 'get it;' or 'the system.'

      Comment

      • spaceman
        Banned
        • Feb 2004
        • 2817

        #258
        ???????

        Originally posted by Gatekeeper View Post
        The Fractional Reserve banking System created it.
        Bank, banks it matters not, it depends where the deposits are put doesn't it.
        One bank, two banks, my balance sheets presented earlier are a metaphor for "the system as a whole". What happens once the Money Multiplier is applied by one, two or one hundred banks.

        You are not getting off this one Spaceman, That's what we have been saying all along.

        ummmmmmm ...... sorry this one has me perplexed.

        What am I not getting off of???? ....it's not my quote if that's what you mean ..... I just copied it from Perrys earlier post and highlighted a portion of it.

        Not sure what you're on about with this whole Money Multiplier bit either .... Isn't it just simple maths??? If the banks only need to keep a portion and return the rest into circulation, then of course the money supply has been expanded by the banks reintroducing the money back into circulation ..... they just haven't created any money.

        I've tried to stick to the topic of banks creating money and Perry quoted a piece from Encyclopaedia Britannica Online Edition .... which quite clearly states that banks don't create money.

        WIN for me ........... Though I understand some people will remain unconvinced, I think this is because they can't get a grasp of the very simple basics and effectively are trying to run before they can walk.

        Cheers
        Spaceman

        Comment

        • Perry
          Geriatric
          • Sep 2004
          • 16861

          #259
          Originally posted by Bob Kane View Post
          At the start the CD player vendor owes Spaceman $100.
          At the end, Spaceman's mate owes him $100.
          No change in debt.
          No change in $ bills.
          What got created?
          Another failed example. Ignore it. Seems like it's
          a continuous movie and not possible to just look
          at one scene and have it make stand-alone sense,
          out of the continuous movie context.

          Let's see if we can worry the statement:
          Although no individual bank created money, the
          system as a whole did. This multiple expansion process
          lies at the heart of the modern monetary system.
          . . . and get something edifying out of that.

          Even if that results in the Encyclopaedia Britannica
          folks issuing a retraction, along with a credit to our
          intrepid Spaceman.

          Comment

          • spaceman
            Banned
            • Feb 2004
            • 2817

            #260
            Where did you go to school???

            Originally posted by Perry View Post
            Go back and read it more carefully. The article
            did not say
            the banks didn't create the money

            the article said
            no individual bank created money


            Despite that you've slightly misquoted the
            Encyclopaedia Britannica folks, you may be
            partly right. I suspect that most mere mortals
            don't.

            As in 'get it;' or 'the system.'
            I didn't misquote anything .... I highlighted a portion of something you quoted.

            the banks didn't create the money = no individual bank created money

            At least where I went to school it did.

            Still would like to know at what point in your previous example you think the bank created money ...... and why you don't think I created money by loaning my mate some ........ Because to me this smacks of trying to have your cake and eat it too.

            Cheers
            Spaceman

            Comment

            • Perry
              Geriatric
              • Sep 2004
              • 16861

              #261
              Originally posted by spaceman View Post
              I've tried to stick to the topic of banks creating money and Perry quoted a piece from Encyclopaedia Britannica Online Edition .... which quite clearly states that banks don't create money.

              WIN for me ........... Though I understand some people will remain unconvinced, I think this is because they can't get a grasp of the very simple basics and effectively are trying to run before they can walk.
              I presume you posted that before reading my comment
              that you have misquoted the Encyclopaedia Britannica,
              as in:
              quite clearly states that banks don't create money.
              No WIN for you disqualified for misquoting the reference.

              Comment

              • Perry
                Geriatric
                • Sep 2004
                • 16861

                #262
                Originally posted by spaceman View Post
                I didn't misquote anything .... I highlighted a portion of something you quoted.

                the banks didn't create the money = no individual bank created money
                Please read it carefully and fully:
                Although no individual bank created money, the
                system as a whole did.
                I put it to you that for reasons of economy of speech
                and space, the phrase was reflexive and did not repeat
                the word bank or any similar form of it. By that, I mean
                it might be fairly re-stated thus:
                Although no individual bank created money, the
                banking system as a whole did.
                Please write to the nice folk at Encyclopaedia Britannica
                and tell them they have it wrong, if that's what you still
                think is the case. Do let us know what they say. We'll wait.

                Comment

                • outspoken
                  Fanatical
                  • Nov 2007
                  • 1062

                  #263
                  Ignore the spacecadet.

                  The final nail in the coffin:

                  Banks have a bias towards residential property due to a number of factors, including a complicated issue called capital adequacy.

                  In simple terms this is the minimum capital requirements for banks, which is 8 per cent at present. Thus if a bank has $100 million of loans it has to have at least $8 million of capital.

                  However banks are allowed to have lower capital requirements if their loans are less risky and residential mortgages are considered to be lower risk than business loans. Banks have considerable flexibility to assess their own capital requirement and the ANZ National Bank's requirements, based on its latest general disclosure statement, are as follows:

                  For every $100 million of business loans the bank's minimum capital requirement is $5.06 million.
                  For every $100 million of housing loans its minimum requirement is $1.91 million.


                  Now run off and play soldiers spacecookies, you're not allowed to think for yourself remember.....no wonder why!
                  Last edited by SuperDad; 17-08-2009, 07:50 AM. Reason: Removed personal attack.

                  Comment

                  • Steve Netwriter
                    Fanatical
                    • Apr 2008
                    • 1114

                    #264
                    I am afraid I have to throw a large spanner into the works.
                    I think the idea that a deposit is made first, and THEN a loan is made is incorrect. It's a nice simple way of looking at it, but....
                    I believe the loan is made first (real creation of currency), and later deposits are made.

                    Please refer to Steve Keen's great article:

                    Steve Keen’s DebtWatch No 31 February 2009: “The Roving Cavaliers of Credit”
                    Published in January 31st, 2009
                    Tweet Tweet “Talk about cen­tral­i­sa­tion! The cred­it sys­tem, which has its focus in the so-called nation­al banks and the big mon­ey-lenders and usurers sur­round­ing them, con­sti­tutes enor­mous cen­tral­i­sa­tion, and gives this class of par­a­sites the fab­u­lous pow­er, not only to peri­od­i­cal­ly despoil indus­tri­al cap­i­tal­ists, but also to inter­fere in actu­al … <a class="continue-reading-link" href="http://www.debtdeflation.com/blogs/2009/01/31/therovingcavaliersofcredit/"> Continue reading <span class="meta-nav">&rarr; </span></a>


                    I also think the fractional reserve ratios often cited are incorrect for our "modern" banking age. 10% is a bit of a joke these days

                    Please refer to:

                    Yes, Virginia, There Are No Reserve Requirements (PART 2/2)


                    I'd really like to hear from someone who has the time to read the FINE print of their current accounts

                    Comment

                    • Steve Netwriter
                      Fanatical
                      • Apr 2008
                      • 1114

                      #265
                      I have to make just one more post.....

                      Because this will be post 1000

                      Comment

                      • outspoken
                        Fanatical
                        • Nov 2007
                        • 1062

                        #266
                        Good articles Steve, I've read the first one before.

                        The premise is still the same: Money is created by both Central and Commercial banks, the latter creating it's own stock in trade.

                        Comment

                        • Perry
                          Geriatric
                          • Sep 2004
                          • 16861

                          #267
                          Originally posted by Steve Netwriter View Post
                          I am afraid I have to throw a large spanner into the works.
                          I think the idea that a deposit is made first, and THEN a loan
                          is made is incorrect. It's a nice simple way of looking at it, but....
                          I believe the loan is made first (real creation of currency), and
                          later deposits are made.
                          Do you actually mean "real creation of currency" or real
                          creation of money?
                          I do agree that it's a simplistic way
                          of looking at it - but that's an illustration made in an
                          effort to aid comprehension, as I see it.

                          Comment

                          • Perry
                            Geriatric
                            • Sep 2004
                            • 16861

                            #268
                            Ahem . . .

                            I don't see this discussion as one of or for the
                            determination of a winner or a loser. It is for
                            the furtherance of people's knowledge and
                            understanding. With luck, that will 'empower'
                            posters to be better PIs, have greater financial
                            acumen and related benefits.

                            With widely differing and strongly held views,
                            combined with the inherent esoteric nature of
                            the topic, some frustration is and has been seen.

                            For edifying reasons, I ask for greater civility
                            in the debate. Ad hominem remarks, sarcasm
                            and name-calling is not the stuff of PT and has
                            no place in reasoned debate.

                            Please.

                            Comment

                            • Steve Netwriter
                              Fanatical
                              • Apr 2008
                              • 1114

                              #269
                              Originally posted by Perry View Post
                              Do you actually mean "real creation of currency" or real
                              creation of money?
                              I do agree that it's a simplistic way
                              of looking at it - but that's an illustration made in an
                              effort to aid comprehension, as I see it.
                              Perry,
                              I use "currency" because, for example, the RBNZ talks about the NZ currency, and I use "money" for things with an inherent value.
                              IMO for a discussion like this it's a minor point.

                              It would be convenient to those who wish to obfuscate, for the masses to spend their time arguing over terms rather than discussing the important issues.

                              IMO one of the important issues is this.
                              Most people consider their bank account balance as a measure of how much money they have in their account. Summing all the balances gives a total wealth that everyone thinks they have. ie after years of society working, that is the result.
                              But, in fact, the bank has less than 10% of that, and probably a good bit less than 10% of that.
                              So has society really got that wealth they worked for?
                              It seems to me that it only works if a small % of people want to use that claimed wealth.

                              This differs from people who have a load of firewood stored, all of whom can use it without discovering that only some of the wood is real wood.

                              Comment

                              • tricky
                                Fanatical
                                • Dec 2004
                                • 1127

                                #270
                                I haven't seen a good, clear, simple example of the claim "banks create money out of fresh air".
                                Spaceman seems to have shot down all the examples so far.
                                There seems to be some confusion in the term money and what each person means by that.
                                Perhaps there is some common ground but people can't see it/don't realise it.
                                Anyway, good call, Perry - let's stay civilised.
                                And keep posting.

                                Comment

                                Working...