Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Gold Is The Currency Of The Free And Idle by Dominic Frisby (read and listen)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you read to the bottom???

I'm pretty sure that is my proof.
    I'm glad we're providing each other with giggles ..... it makes the world just that little tiny bit better.

Cheers
    Spaceman
    Last edited by spaceman; 14-07-2009, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
      The effect of running out is exactly the same as demand outpacing supply. Why argue over what to call it?
      No, of course it is not. Imagine if tomorrow there was NO oil. You'd see a very different future to one where prices simply rise as supply does not keep pace with demand.

From the power plants, I though that'd be obvious. Weather they be powered by fusion or solar or something else doesn't really matter.
      So why do you mention electric cars?
      They could equally be fuelled by hydrogen or anything else created from your power plants.
      It is the source of the energy that is important.

So you think it is one after all. Well wasn't that what you just said you didn't?
      Oh this is getting tedious. I haven't changed my opinion or argument.
      I'll spell it out for you one LAST time:

This is what I think:
      1. Gold has many characteristics that make it good as money.
      2. History shows that it works well.
      3. History shows that paper money eventually fails.
      4. I do not think gold is the only solution. I think other options might be better.

That's the most pathetic argument I've heard in a long time.
      In addition you now don't want to elaborate on your supposed great insight into the future.
      Steve, if you don't want to elaborate then I think the debate ends here.
      I have spent a long time studying certain areas of science which does indeed give me an insight into the future.
      I can't help it if you think what I typed was pathetic. That's your problem and not mine.
      I will say, that what you described is the same old ideas, rehashed, from the depths of science fiction.
      By contrast what I envisage is based in reality.

I did not say that I did not want to explain. I cannot. I would like to. It is frustrating for me that I cannot, but that is the way it is.

I have nothing more to say, feel free to add me to your ignore list.
      Let's just remember that I simply posted about a podcast I thought worth listening to. IT's there for people to like or dislike, to accept or not as they want.
      You are the one badgering me answer your questions, and acting as if I am forced to explain myself to you.
      Obviously I am not.

It's been entertaining, but I don't think I'm going to gain anything from continuing this discussion, and I have better things to do with my time now.

I won't put you on ignore because you show some promise

Comment

Apparently paek oil has now spontaneously entered the debate, I'm not sure why?
        All things are interconected.

Electric cars eh? So wheres the resources to refabricate 600 million cars?
        It takes 80 barrels of oil/ energy to produce *one* mid size car....

Energy makes the world go round not money.

Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money gentleman, barter is the money of peasents, debt is the money of slaves.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Netwriter View Post
          History is littered with the corpses of failed paper money.
          When they fail people return to gold. Every single time.
          This is interesting.
          Do people return to the same gold coins every time?
          Or does 'return to gold' mean using lumps of gold in some form?

Is the failed paper money simply a byproduct of a failed govt and the new (perhaps invading) govt sweeps the board clean?

Could some examples be provided?

Any comments, Austro?
          (I'm assuming Steve won't read this or reply to me since he's put me on ignore)

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
            All things are interconected.

Electric cars eh? So wheres the resources to refabricate 600 million cars?
            It takes 80 barrels of oil/ energy to produce *one* mid size car....
            I've mentioned alternative forms several times, check the earlier posts. Some examples are fusion, and solar.
            High resolution Fractal Art on quality canvas: www.FractalArt.co.nz

Comment

And exactly how far along are we with those?

Just to put fusion into perspective, my father was working on fusion in the ~1940s !

(Hi Badger )

Comment

I've mentioned alternative forms several times, check the earlier posts. Some examples are fusion, and solar.
                Sure you have mentioned many things but have failed to observe they all require raw base materials and to get those materials requires energy and to make all those techy things viable comes down to EROEI.

You can also print all the money you want but that will not wisk up whats not there to build the stuff your alluding to.

Alot of people jump into lifeboats but it pays to make sure they float first.

hey Steve all good? some interesting stuff posted over at interest.co these days...
                Last edited by Badger; 16-07-2009, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Steve, in case you don't know, we're quite far along:

The construction of the National Ignition Facility was certified complete on 31 March 2009 by the U.S. Department of Energy.[1] The first target experiments with all 192 lasers were performed in May 2009, and a dedication ceremony took place on 29 May 2009.[2] Ignition is expected by 2010.
                  National Ignition Facility. (2009, July 4). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 15:53, July 4, 2009, from http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...ldid=300247546

Of course there is ITER as well.

When power output will actually be commercially viable is another story, of course.
                  But it'll be interesting to see how it goes next year.
                  Last edited by Rolf; 16-07-2009, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Steve, in case you don't know, we're quite far along:

Of course there is ITER as well.

When power output will actually be commercially viable is another story, of course.
                    But it'll be interesting to see how it goes next year.
                    but it has problems with EROEI and probably thermo dynamics

Comment

I've just been checking the history. I see some familiar names.

Comment

Sure you have mentioned many things but have failed to observe they all require raw base materials and to get those materials requires energy and to make all those techy things viable comes down to EROEI.
                        No I have not failed to observe that. But have you considered how few materials are required to build a fusion plant, compared to the vast amount of resources we spend on other stuff? It's merely a matter of political will.

If we had not been brainwashed to reject nuclear power for decades now, then we would likely have working fusion plants today.

Comment

but it has problems with EROEI and probably thermo dynamics
                          LOL! I see, I guess the Sun hasn't noticed that??

Comment

No I have not failed to observe that. But have you considered how few materials are required to build a fusion plant, compared to the vast amount of resources we spend on other stuff? It's merely a matter of political will.

If we had not been brainwashed to reject nuclear power for decades now, then we would likely have working fusion plants today.
                            The problem is now. The potential solution is ..... when ?

Is it sensible to continue on our current path in the hope that there will be a saviour?

Comment

isnt nuclear and fusion different?

well sure good point about political will - or is that hydraulic despotism?

Strange world considering that collider thing in europe sucked up alot of resources for little result eh?

...about nuclear power. Just to maintain status quo in energy would require some 10,000 nuke plants leaving a estimated supply of 20 years of uranium. Yes uranium also peaks as oil coal gold copper etc. How does that fit with the current economic growth model that the financial system relies upon?

Comment

LOL! I see, I guess the Sun hasn't noticed that??
                                So far they havnt acomplished that properly. Hey I hope they do and then well see where that pandora's box goes...

However at the end of the day the sun isnt built from technolgy to make the reaction happen and all tech requires base materials to fabricate.

Comment

Working...
                                X