No announcement yet.

Should cyclists wear helmets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clearly only in your world. It was obvious you were feeling sorry that you didn't shave yet. Never mind young skywalker.

Comment

Originally posted by drelly View Post
      Instead of making assumptions, why not just answer the question?
      The question in this thread title is ''Should cyclists wear helmets?''.
      It appears everyone except me thinks yes.
      This does seem a bit strange.
      The quite strong reactions to my suggestion to make helmets optional caught me by surprise.
      Why a lot of people think 1 cm of polystyrene strapped to their heads will save them in an accident is beyond me.
      There hasn't been much justification offered to support wearing helmets other than repeating the oft-quoted stories about some-one had an accident once and they would be dead if it wasn't for their helmet.
      However, cycling does attract the occasional oddball so I expect some posters could take offence at any alternative point of view.
      It's all good and I would enjoy seeing some pictures of cats riding bikes if anyone can oblige?

Comment

Originally posted by Damap View Post
        It's pretty obvious you'd be a leg shaver/waxer Bob.
        That would make me a heavy-duty cyclist then.
        Show some respect!

Comment

Heavy duty Bob? No it wold just mean you swing both ways :-)
          Anyway mount up!

Nice to see your prepubescent friend is trying to use complete sentences now. Maybe when you spell it backwards it means clueless rather than flightless?

Comment

lol the cat picture.
            Thanks.
            See, even a darn cat won't wear a helmet if it a choice....

Comment

That's why I picked it. Back to the actual topic there is no doubt that
              1. Plenty of us lived without helmets
              2. Helmets do reduce injury and save lives the degree they do that is open to debate
              3. Because injury costs so much to a government it makes sense to legislate them. They don;t have to buy helmets but they do have to pay for the problems. Even with insurance it still puts demands on hospital beds etc.

However what is really interesting is that 2 major studies in NZ and OZ in the last 10 years shows pretty conclusively that bike helmets have achieved ZERO in terms of injury reduction. Complete waste of time, (other than the revenue gained from fines).

Comment

Without a bib I mean.

Comment

However what is really interesting is that 2 major studies in NZ and OZ in the last 10 years shows pretty conclusively that bike helmets have achieved ZERO in terms of injury reduction. Complete waste of time, (other than the revenue gained from fines).
                  I'd be interested to read those studies because I doubt it's that simple. That sounds like the tabloid interpretation.
                  You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Just google it Drelly. Both have the actual research published not media spin. I was surprised but they didn't seem to be trying to prove a point.
                    Some of the links to research are here

Comment

Originally posted by iwik
                      If you think that having an impact absorbing material between your
                      head and the road in an accident will do nothing you truly are clueless !
                      I wouldn't call 1cm of polystyrene ''impact absorbing material''
                      I'd call a hard hat as worn on a building site impact absorbing material.

Comment

Just google it Drelly. Both have the actual research published not media spin. I was surprised but they didn't seem to be trying to prove a point.
                        Some of the links to research are here
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle...in_New_Zealand
                        Thanks. Will have a proper read tomorrow. The thing that strikes me (pun intended), is that regardless of what any study purports to show... if I had to whack my head against a rock voluntarily, either with or without a helmet, I know which option I would choose!

Bob Kane still hasn't answered my question about his cycling experience... following in the evasive footsteps of mrsaneperson!

Comment

Originally posted by drelly View Post
                          Bob Kane still hasn't answered my question about his cycling experience... following in the evasive footsteps of mrsaneperson!
                          You seem upset about this.
                          Why?

Comment

drelly.
                            I think Bob will need to start wearing calf protectors as well as a helmet.

It appears you have discovered his Achilles Heel.

Comment

Oh I am with you Drelly. Personal experience changes ones values. To not wear one is dumb. Same with seat belts.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kane View Post
                                You seem upset about this. Why?
                                Traumatized really. This is no different to validating the advice of someone coming on here spouting their opinions on property investment. Their experience of the thing they have opinions about is relevant.

We can have a contest to see how many times we can bang our heads on a rock if you like. I'll be wearing a helmet though.

Comment

Working...
                                X