English in a hurry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English in a hurry

Does anyone care about, or sheer my distress at the examples of mangled English in many PropertyTalk postings?
    I don't think mistakes help clarrify the message. They detract.
    This yer their have been quite a few relay striking errors already.
    See bellow for my candidate for the most annoying one last yer:

tennant

--- not once, not twice, but multiple times by different posters. It seems lazy. There is no such word as tennant, and a spell-checker will highlight it. And to make it worse, it is a description of our main income source. How ignorant or sloppy is that then?

This is not to denigrate otherwise excellent postings, and the very good subject matter in most or all of them.

I also admire those PropertyTalkers with English as a second language, in my mind, their willingness to have a go more than compensates for any lack of polish. (Orkibi for one comes to mind as a tremendous contributor). I don't include them necessarily.

I think it actually matters when someone takes the time to turn on their spell-check or take a bit of trouble to at least try to get it right. I reckon that if no-one does that, our ability to communicate must deteriorate, like unmended potholes getting worse, and we risk finishing up grunting and writing in ambiguous graceless code.

Does anyone agree?

Does anyone agree?
    Yes I do.lol
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

Using predictive text to send phone messages can have similar consequences.
      Recently I got "my flight has been delayed due to dog"

Comment

There could have been a dog on the runway!?
        Lisa

Comment

Using text speak on a forum where there is no limit to the size of the message is insulting.

www.3888444.co.nz
          Facebook Page

Comment

wot dya mean BeanMan?

Seriously though, you may wish to revisit your own post:

See bellow for my candidate for the most annoying one last yer:
            Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Just giving some examples Davo. Did you spot the other four, all taken from January posts? I could have put in more.
              Last edited by kapitibeanman; 14-01-2011, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Could you please let me know where the spell check is in this reply box? I have in the past pasted in from Word after spell checking, but the font goes strange & it's a hassle.

I hate errors too, but have got lazy through the constant use of spell check

Comment

i have, or had, a touch of dyslexia as a child and spelling was always a challenge

i've now pretty much sorted out words up to 4 letters, (sometimes i still get locked on a word like "does" though, a phonetic duz, dos, dus, just keeps popping into my mind...)

so spell checks are my online life

usually your browser; explorer/firefox/chrome can be set to check your spelling as you type

in firefox go to tools, options, advanced - "check my spelling as i type"

maybe someone else can provide the steps for explorers spell check?

won't help you with right/rite/write etc. though
                  have you defeated them?
                  your demons

Comment

I've got that for my emails, but can't find it in windows explorer 8.

Comment

Working...
                    X