Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One water meter between two properties

Hi

Can anyone give me some advice. I have an IP two dwellings on one site, but only one water meter. When I bought the property and took over the existing tenants the tenancy agreement states that the tenants are responsible for paying the water and the meter reading was supplied. The tenants signed that this was ok. One of my tenants moved out and my existing tenants parents have moved into the other dwelling. When i mentioned that they were responsible for paying their own water my existing tenant said that they don't have to because there is only one water meter between two properties. I spoke to the previous owner who lived in the main property and he said he had an agreement where he paid the water bill and passed a third over to the existing tenant. I spoke to tenancy services today and they said I couldn't pass over this cost to the tenant as its unclear as to how much water she would have used. He said to incorporate the cost into the rent. I think the tenants are paying a high rent at the moment and don't really want to do this as I might lose the income.
    Has anybody got any suggestions??

Thanks

Sharon

HI,

Can you not just get an additional water meter installed?

Aston.

Comment

Another grey area - If the tenants can't come to some agreement over how to split the water up between them, then incorporate your estimate in to the rent.
      DFTBA

Comment

Thanks for the advice, have you any ideas on how much it is to install another meter?

Comment

You can get a "check meter" installed fairly cheaply. Without one you can only charge if both tenants agree but they can change their mind at any time.

Comment

Hi Traff

From memory you can pick up a check meter from the plumbing suppliers like 'Chesters', cost ~ $80.00. All up cost for installation including labour/materials/meter is ~ $200.00. In your situation ( 2xdwellings), you only need one check meter! New check meter reads consumption of one dwelling. Ex meter cubic meters less new meter cubic meters gives water consumption for 'second' dwelling.

Any pumber will do the job for you!

Comment

Would this be applicable to separately owned dwellings in OZ??

The reason I ask is my Mum is on the Gold Coast in a duplex. She lives on her own, but shares a meter with her neighbours who have 3 people living and a spa pool! Mum gets hit with excess water charges all the time.

I see the difference as the check meter (and splitting of bills) above being an agreement between landlords and tenants.

But would the local supply authority recognise a check meter and send separate bills based on this? Or would they insist on separate meters straight from the roadside?

Problem is, I'm in the UK and Mum has a touch of the-little-old-lady-syndrome and is unwilling to blast the neighbours (who are pretty rude from all accounts) or deal with the Council.

The Dog

Comment

Cheers for the advice guys, I will look into it tomorrow. I spoke to the tenant and because its her mom thats moved next door she doesn't have too much of a problem 'at the moment' but this as you say could easily change.

Comment

Working...
                X