Hi
Thanks for taking the time to give me some advice please. I usually find all the answers on this forum to all my questions, but I can't seem to find this one!
Tenant moves out of property after 5 months (property purchased prior to the start of tenancy so had builder's report).
New tenants move in and they note an issue in the carpet in the hallway. This is lifted and floor boards, carpet, underlay and wooden floor in the laundry are all water damaged.
Insurance assessor declares damage caused by the previous tenants not installing their washing machine appropriately resulting in slow constant water leak causing "hidden gradual damage".
The limit for payout under my policy for this is $2500 which this claim will exceed.
Firstly, I am not sure if the tenants were insured and whether it makes a difference? ie could they claim on their insurance if they were?
Secondly, can I use their bond to cover some of the shortfall? (I know I can't ask them to cover my excess).
And, as an aside, does anyone ask for tenants' washing machine or other plumbed appliances to be professionally installed; or is a property manager supposed to check this? I don't want it to happen again!!
Thanks again
Thanks for taking the time to give me some advice please. I usually find all the answers on this forum to all my questions, but I can't seem to find this one!
Tenant moves out of property after 5 months (property purchased prior to the start of tenancy so had builder's report).
New tenants move in and they note an issue in the carpet in the hallway. This is lifted and floor boards, carpet, underlay and wooden floor in the laundry are all water damaged.
Insurance assessor declares damage caused by the previous tenants not installing their washing machine appropriately resulting in slow constant water leak causing "hidden gradual damage".
The limit for payout under my policy for this is $2500 which this claim will exceed.
Firstly, I am not sure if the tenants were insured and whether it makes a difference? ie could they claim on their insurance if they were?
Secondly, can I use their bond to cover some of the shortfall? (I know I can't ask them to cover my excess).
And, as an aside, does anyone ask for tenants' washing machine or other plumbed appliances to be professionally installed; or is a property manager supposed to check this? I don't want it to happen again!!
Thanks again


Comment