X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenant question RE rain and wind

Hi,

New member here.
    My tenants have queried me about a couple of things and im not sure how to proceed.
    Firstly, when it rains the driveway gets some puddles in the gravel areas - these can be a few cms deep. They have asked me to remedy this and im not sure how (or if i need to do). Its been like this since i brought the place and never saw it as an issue (cars always in garage for me).

Second, they have mentioned that the house is cold, due to wind coming through windows and under doors. The house is fully insulated, and there is a heat pump. The place was built in 2007 and has all aluminium joinery. Would it be the seals that need replacing?

Thanks

You don't have to do anything, but if you wanted to drop a load of metal to top it up & run weatherstrip around the windows & doors it may keep the tenants happy. They may even do the work if you drop the stuff off, but no guarantee how well.

Hopefully this is not the start of a never ending list!

Comment

It will be.

Comment

If I were in your position I would take care of those things. I always find it's important to listen to tenants and sort out what's important to them. Considering it's quite a new house I wouldn't think there would be a long list of things that would come up. Are you into DIY? I would just take round some concrete mix it up and patch up the holes. Also just buy some better weatherstrips from Mitre10. OR you could find a handyman to sort it out for you.

Comment

I live in a different city, so unfortunately cant do the things myself. I'm happy to do it for them, as they havent had too many issues since they moved in.
          Will take the idea of weatherstrips and get the main areas done. There are lots of sliding doors in the house (one massive wall, and 3 double doors), so these may be where its coming through.
          Thanks for the advice

Comment

Don't block the vent holes on the bottom frame of the exterior of the aluminium sliding doors.

They are for ventilation and letting water getting out.

Some holes cannot be sealed.

Maybe get an aluminium windows & door repair guy to check it out.

Comment

Thanks Gary. Perhaps the seals have perished in some places?

Comment

Show them a Trademe auction for another house they can rent.

Comment

Working...
                X