Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cost of replacing carpet or just charge tenant stain removal cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of replacing carpet or just charge tenant stain removal cost?

I have a tenant who has vacated the property & there are quite a few carpet stains throughout the house.The tenant has made it worse by trying to rub out some of the stains causing some scuffing of the fibre. There were no stains at all throughout the house pre tenant in the inspection report.
    A carpet stain tech came out & quoted me $350 to remove them.It's usually never 100% though. .One of the rooms is particularly severe & i'm thinking if the staining there hasnt been shifted much after treatment then i'd best replace the carpet.I've told the tenant i dont really want to ping him for this, so we can both move on & may just leave it at that.

I know some landlords would just replace the carpet & charge the tenant.What have others done in these situations?

Has anyone else had stain removal done but still had to replace the carpet?
    Last edited by mrsaneperson; 22-08-2013, 01:01 AM.

Have to ask. Did all of these stains appear over the last 12 weeks since your last inspection?

www.3888444.co.nz
    Facebook Page

Comment

Keys makes very good point. Also, did you have photographic evidence at the start of the tenancy to show that it was in good clean order ? If not, your chances of a successful claim through TT are slim.

Perhaps best to take the agreed cleaning cost from the bond, and put it towards replacing the carpet ?

Comment

I relooked back over the "move in" original inspection report which is archived with photos & there is some mention of some stains in certain rooms but nothing regarding the lounge area & the ensuite which are the areas where there are some minor stains that are been tackled & i'm billing them for.Those 2 areas regarding carpet in the first move in property inspection are noted in the report as being in "excellent condition". . Then there is one bedroom which is particularly bad with carpet staining & general soiling along with very large wear marks on the wallpaper as though something has rubbed against it. Looking at the before & after photos of that particular room this is the worst one & possibly I'll have to replace the carpet.But may elect to cover the cost out of my own pocket.
        I did the last inspection around 3 weeks ago but im guessing most of the stains were obscured by furniture.

These are the same tenants who gave their reason of moving out because they didnt like our "list" of "things needing to be done" at the last inspection, which i wrote about in another thread.
        Last edited by mrsaneperson; 22-08-2013, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X