Repeated Burglaries for fixed term tenants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by klauster View Post
    Have you spoken to the landlord and what is the approach to fix a problem permanently? What are the weak entry points, blocked views, etc?
    Running away might or might not resolve your problem as thieves are opportunists and screen other properties too.
    We as LL uses a mobiles video surveillance system to reinstate trust until weak security has been improved.
    In one case party-goers in the neighbourhood caused a lot of nonsense and a security cam with infra-red light (night vision) for the drive way resolved the issue. Ask yourself – what might attract a burglar?
    Thank you all for your suggestions/ guidance.

Most of those here who are busy analysing gain/loss probably have never had a break in, so I agree it is difficult for them to understand the stress of living in a house one is so vulnerable in.
    To answer few of your questions:
    1)LL has still not glazed the smashed window (after 5 days), it is boarded with wooden planks.
    2) House has numerous ranch sliders (3) with only mechanical flimsy locks. His only suggestion is to jam them with wooden sticks
    3) windows have simple handle fasteners with glass panel ventilators on top. can not change them
    4) There is a dark shady canopy of trees at the back where someone can hide for days without getting noticed. Trees can not be removed.
    To top it all,
    Property is a unit in same compound as another unit. LL seems to chose the worse tenants he can get for it. Drunks, lunatics, drug addicts, you get it.

I rest my case.

Comment

^
      Apart from #1 of course, I am guessing all of those other "things/issues" (ranch sliders, windows, trees, neighbours) have been present in the last 1.5 years you have been at the property? Now that the 2 burglaries have occurred, your views on them have changed.

I think the LL is being lazy/inept by not replacing the window already. The other things can be quite normal for a lot of properties (a number of mine have the same sliding door & windows as you describe).

If your objective is to leave the property, then I would put an application into the TT for early termination of the Fixed Term contract. Forget all of the reasons you are coming up with above and don't focus on the LL.
      Just make the application and simply say you now feel very unsafe in the house and you need to leave.

I would be stunned if an adjudicator didn't grant you early release.
      Premium Villa Holidays in Turkey

Comment

Speak to your landlord about it. You have been good tenants I'm assuming, if you can just explain what has happened and how you feel unsafe and I would think he would be fair enough to either let you go or allow you to go providing you stay until it is retenanted.

At the end of the day an alarm doesn't do a heck of a lot unless you have neighbours who are proactive. I've lived in neighbourhoods where an alarm goes off and we just think its a cat or something. Maybe just best to make a move somewhere else if your landlord doesn't allow you reasonable options for moving out then request they put in lots of things to minimize the risk of a break in. Eg: alarm system, security doors, security locks on windows, pad locks on gates, extra outside lights etc.

Comment

I am sorry about burglaries. I understand that it a terrifying experience. I suggest you to talk to your LL. Have you also thought about asking him to install an alarm system?

Comment

Working...
          X