Header Ad Module

Collapse

Cultural misunderstanding or way ott?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Learning
    Fanatical
    • Jan 2012
    • 1142

    #1

    Cultural misunderstanding or way ott?

    We are trying to rent out our flat and we got a phone call from this man's employer to arrange a viewing on his behalf. The man and he family turn up, look around, take an application form and left.

    I didn't really get the feeling that they were completely blown away by it but about 3 hours after the open home they came back with his sister and BIL. The BIL rings the doorbell and lets himself in. He introduces himself, wife and then goes into more detail on the family's situation. The BIL talks for the whole family even answering for the man when I ask him specific questions. After a few minutes the BIL is asking me for an assurance that his family was going to get the house! I told him that there were other people interested and I would make a decision later. He's like "When? How soon? Are you call us or are we calling you?" It made me feel rather uncomfortable.

    The place still has some renovation work going on, a wall needs to be finished, carpet replacing and curtains to hang. When I finally get them out the door the BIL starts saying that his family will take the place as it is, no need to finish anything. (the current carpet is fit for a dog kennel not a family home) So I explained that deposits had already been paid and contracts are in place.

    That was yesterday. Today the BIL turns up again out of the blue! To be honest that was just creepy. He left telling me he was going to call me after I had made the decision.

    Then about 3 hours later the employer phones me. Checking up that the man had made the appointment and if he wanted the house.

    All these people are East Asian (same country) so I'm wandering is this normal for their culture or are they way too OTT?
  • cube
    Thinking outside the square.
    • Jun 2005
    • 5076

    #2
    Sounds like they are desparate, in which case driving by their current address may be revealing.
    DFTBA

    Comment

    • flyernzl
      Fanatical
      • Mar 2007
      • 3143

      #3
      Assuming that you do decline their application, make very sure that you do not give them a reason for doing so.
      Just say 'Your application was unsuccessful' and leave it at that even if pushed.

      Comment

      • Tan
        Fanatical
        • Nov 2008
        • 1444

        #4
        Nothing to do with cultural understanding - do you want to deal with these guys in the future? I wouldn't. Treat them as any other candidate and don't waste time on them. Later you can put them in your "confessions of a landlord" memoirs.

        Take flyer's advice above.

        Comment

        • TheLiberalLeft
          Banned
          • Aug 2010
          • 2630

          #5
          I'd have nipped this in the bud much sooner. As soon as Mr Pushy started with his bullying tactics I'd have told him to pull his head in. If he turned up the next day unannounced (and it wasn't an open home at the time) I'd have been quite angry, and he'd have left knowing that his actions has caused the deal to fall through. It's unreasonable behaviour.

          Comment

          • Keys
            Fanatical
            • Nov 2006
            • 6062

            #6
            Give the man a chance TLL. After all, they need to live somewhere and your liberal enough to see their side surely?
            https://www.propertytalk.com/forum/i...ilies/lock.gif

            Comment

            • TheLiberalLeft
              Banned
              • Aug 2010
              • 2630

              #7
              Well..... I can't abide bullies. It could be read different ways, I suppose. My comments are assuming it was done in an unreasonably pushy style. It could quite easily have been done in an eager, we-don't-want-to-loose-it-and-really-love-your-property style, in which case you're right. You needed to be there to pass a proper judgement.

              Comment

              • Glizzle
                Addicted
                • Apr 2012
                • 770

                #8
                Originally posted by Keys View Post
                Give the man a chance TLL. After all, they need to live somewhere
                I would of given him one chance, and that would of been to get off my property.

                Comment

                • AlanaChch
                  Freshie
                  • May 2012
                  • 22

                  #9
                  LOL a similar thing happened to me and i think i know what country they are from. I beleive that's the way they deal with people back at home, so don't worry too much, but wouldn't rent the place out to them if it's getting new carpet,drapes etc. They will sign an agreement for 2-3 people but then the whole family of 10 will be living in there!

                  Comment

                  • Keys
                    Fanatical
                    • Nov 2006
                    • 6062

                    #10
                    Originally posted by AlanaChch View Post
                    They will sign an agreement for 2-3 people but then the whole family of 10 will be living in there!
                    Name all of the tenants on your TA. The last time I went to the TT over excessive tenants I was awarded $800 in damages. Very hard to prove though.
                    https://www.propertytalk.com/forum/i...ilies/lock.gif

                    Comment

                    • Learning
                      Fanatical
                      • Jan 2012
                      • 1142

                      #11
                      The mater has resolved itself. The applicant was unsuccessful.

                      Comment

                      Working...