Interesting discussion about this family on TradeMe.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times...en-house-razed
Including several Tribunal orders against them.
Rent arrears
Abandoned in a filthy state, owing 6+ weeks rent.
Family lose all when house razed
CHRIS GARDNER Last updated 05:00 31/12/2011
Share
Print
Text Size
MARK TAYLOR/Fairfax NZ
LUCKY TO BE ALIVE: A rural Waikato family of six were left with little more than the clothes they fled their home in after fire swept through their home early yesterday. They are, from left, Storm Karena-Ngawaka, Linda Ngawaka, Merik Ngawaka-Rangihaeta, Tahitamatutere Ngawaka-Rangihaeta, mum Tasiman Rangihaeta with baby Dion-Kane Ngawaka-Rangihaeta, and dad Te Anga Ngawaka.
Just weeks before fire gutted Te Anga Ngawaka's Orini home the out-of-work relief milker had taken the smoke alarm from the wall.
The battery was flat and he didn't have another to replace it.
"I do regret not buying a new battery," Mr Ngawaka, 28, told the Waikato Times yesterday, as he stood in front of the ruins of his rented three-bedroom home in Kneebone Rd.
Mr Ngawaka, his partner Tasiman Rangihaeata, and his four children Storm, 7, Tahitamatutere, 5, Merik, 3, and Dion-Kane, 1, escaped the blaze with little more than the clothes they were wearing.
After the smoke had cleared yesterday, the air still tasted sooty. Lying around the burnt-out shell were toys, broken and twisted by the heat.
Station Officer Dave Bycroft, of Huntly Fire Station, said the family were lucky to be alive.
Tahitamatutere was watching a video in the lounge when he smelled smoke shortly after 1.30am.
"I did not know where the smoke was," he said.
He immediately told his father.
"All my boys said that they could smell smoke," Mr Ngawaka said. "I saw a glow in the lounge and I saw smoke coming from the hall. It was pretty black."
He then focused on getting his partner and children out of the house.
"I thought kids, get the kids, and that was about it really."
"He rudely woke me up and dragged me out of bed," Miss Rangihaeta said.
Once everyone was out Mr Ngawaka went back for his PlayStation 3, which he grabbed through the window. Worried the gas bottle attached to the barbecue alongside the house would explode, he then inched close enough to the blaze to remove it.
His mother Linda was in the sleepout where she was woken by the crackle of flames. "I thought somebody was breaking into the house. I could hear a banging and my dog, Sha, was going nuts.
"All I could see was bright lights and smoke," she said.
"After a while, when the fire really started burning the roof started crumbling, I didn't know what to do," he said.
The family bundled into the car, and drove to a neighbouring house and waited for the emergency services to arrive.
Appliances from four fire stations attended the fire which took about 20 minutes to extinguish.
Mr Ngawaka received a burn to his arm which was treated at the scene by St John paramedics, who also treated him for smoke inhalation.
Waikato District Fire Commander Roy Breeze said the Fire Service had ruled out Christmas lights as starting the fire though the case is unknown.
The family, who did not have contents insurance, plan to stay with family until other accommodation can be arranged.
CHRIS GARDNER Last updated 05:00 31/12/2011
Share
Text Size
MARK TAYLOR/Fairfax NZ LUCKY TO BE ALIVE: A rural Waikato family of six were left with little more than the clothes they fled their home in after fire swept through their home early yesterday. They are, from left, Storm Karena-Ngawaka, Linda Ngawaka, Merik Ngawaka-Rangihaeta, Tahitamatutere Ngawaka-Rangihaeta, mum Tasiman Rangihaeta with baby Dion-Kane Ngawaka-Rangihaeta, and dad Te Anga Ngawaka.
Just weeks before fire gutted Te Anga Ngawaka's Orini home the out-of-work relief milker had taken the smoke alarm from the wall.
The battery was flat and he didn't have another to replace it.
"I do regret not buying a new battery," Mr Ngawaka, 28, told the Waikato Times yesterday, as he stood in front of the ruins of his rented three-bedroom home in Kneebone Rd.
Mr Ngawaka, his partner Tasiman Rangihaeata, and his four children Storm, 7, Tahitamatutere, 5, Merik, 3, and Dion-Kane, 1, escaped the blaze with little more than the clothes they were wearing.
After the smoke had cleared yesterday, the air still tasted sooty. Lying around the burnt-out shell were toys, broken and twisted by the heat.
Station Officer Dave Bycroft, of Huntly Fire Station, said the family were lucky to be alive.
Tahitamatutere was watching a video in the lounge when he smelled smoke shortly after 1.30am.
"I did not know where the smoke was," he said.
He immediately told his father.
"All my boys said that they could smell smoke," Mr Ngawaka said. "I saw a glow in the lounge and I saw smoke coming from the hall. It was pretty black."
He then focused on getting his partner and children out of the house.
"I thought kids, get the kids, and that was about it really."
"He rudely woke me up and dragged me out of bed," Miss Rangihaeta said.
Once everyone was out Mr Ngawaka went back for his PlayStation 3, which he grabbed through the window. Worried the gas bottle attached to the barbecue alongside the house would explode, he then inched close enough to the blaze to remove it.
His mother Linda was in the sleepout where she was woken by the crackle of flames. "I thought somebody was breaking into the house. I could hear a banging and my dog, Sha, was going nuts.
"All I could see was bright lights and smoke," she said.
"After a while, when the fire really started burning the roof started crumbling, I didn't know what to do," he said.
The family bundled into the car, and drove to a neighbouring house and waited for the emergency services to arrive.
Appliances from four fire stations attended the fire which took about 20 minutes to extinguish.
Mr Ngawaka received a burn to his arm which was treated at the scene by St John paramedics, who also treated him for smoke inhalation.
Waikato District Fire Commander Roy Breeze said the Fire Service had ruled out Christmas lights as starting the fire though the case is unknown.
The family, who did not have contents insurance, plan to stay with family until other accommodation can be arranged.
Including several Tribunal orders against them.
Rent arrears
Abandoned in a filthy state, owing 6+ weeks rent.



Comment