Two quick ones...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two quick ones...

1. Is the landlord responsible for trimming trees in the backyard to allow light into the house?

2. Is the landlord responsible for installing a ventilation system inside the house to deal with a severe humidity problem?

Only if he/she wants tenants.

Comment

In short no.
      I certainly have found that the reason people have a ventilation problem is their personal habits.
      If you've got an extractor in the kitchen and bathroom you shouldn't need one.

Comment

1. Is the landlord responsible for trimming trees in the backyard to allow light into the house?
        I'd do it anyway unless you want the tenants to hack away at your trees.

Comment

If the tree is close enough to the house the block out significant light, then think of it as trimming it to keep the gutters cleared (which is a LL responsibility, IMHO). Any extra light is a bonus!

Ask the tenants how much extra they are prepared to pay for a ventilation system (assuming that it is a problem being caused by 'personal habits' and the house has previously been cosy and warm!). What is the ROI, and is it worth your while.

That's the 'official' answer - unofficially, I suspect that adding a ventilation unit will decrease your maintenance and improve the rentability of the place in the future.
          DFTBA

Comment

Originally posted by AMR View Post

2. Is the landlord responsible for installing a ventilation system inside the house to deal with a severe humidity problem?
            The tenant is certainly not responsible, so if the landlords wants it done then the landlord needs to see to it. If on the other hand the tenant is pushing for it, then I'd say the landlord is not obliged, unless the tenant takes the landlord to TT, then you're up for the usual random throw of the dice.

Comment

Unless they are over demanding, give them what they want and keep them happy.
              I actually made the mistake of doing a whole bunch of stuff they didnt even want or care about.
              Hey "Trimming" tree's is on my very short list of "Anti-Handiman" stuff I can do - I am really good at chopping things down, not so good at putting up.

But, a ventilation system is expensive, and you really need to see if there is a "Real" problem that needs to be fixed, and if these guys leave will the next tenant have a problem.
              Or are these guys just a bunch of whinging slackers who cant be bothered opening the windows to let a bit of fresh air in.

But dont get bogged down in the legalities of what you have to and dont have to do, or he said she said, just deal to the problem and take action that works for you in the long run in terms of getting a good yield.

Comment

Yes, landlords are responsible for trimming trees. Anyway, I wouldn't let a tenant do it.
                It depends on why there is a condensation problem. Unless the tenant is doing something out of the ordinary that is causing the problem, I'd say it would be in your best interests to sort it out.
                You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Working...
                X