Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rented House turned into a Boarding House?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rented House turned into a Boarding House?

First time poster, looking for some advice.

I recently moved into a house with a few of my friends. The house was being rented at the time and was told by the person renting the house that a bond would need to be paid to the landlord, however the landlord had not specified a given amount or time frame as to which the bond would need to be paid.

A week or two later, another individual moved in to help with the rent, at this point we now have 6 people living within a large house with 5 bedrooms.

Months go by and the landlord begins to start coming over on a daily basis, doing so called 'work' on the property without any notifications at all. We then see him peering through our windows, looking into our rubbish and coming into the house without our permission. He even left a window open which allowed for an individual to nearly rob us

We are then told the house would be turned into a boarding house as rent was still somewhat unpaid during the time frame when previous individuals had moved out and I had moved in. We were all then given a piece of paper with certain rules we had to now abide by or else we would all be kicked out immediately (as we are now borders instead of renters). The landlord said he would now come over often (pretty much daily) to check that all rules were being followed and wouldn't need our consent to come into the house or on the property as we are now borders. The rent would also be increased as of the same week of informing us, to cover the previous rent as well as the bonds of the new members of the house.

We have not been given anything to sign, no one has come around to inspect the property, we have never been given any receipt of any kind for any payment previously made, hence he could easily not refund our bonds as there has been no recordings of past and current damage, and we have tried to talk to him but he is just a brick wall and keeps threatening us with eviction.

I have been going through this website dbh.govt.nz as well as reading various sections of the RTA. Does anyone have any advice in what we can do in this situation? Or should we all just face eviction. Going to the courts will just infuriate him further and decrease the time we have in the property.

Ring the Dept of Housing on Freephone (in New Zealand) 0800 83 62 62 between 8:00am and 5:30pm weekdays.

They will help determine if the LL's actions are inappropriate and what action to take.

Comment

Unless you have a tenancy agreement which specifies which room you will each occupy then it cannot be a boarding house (see here). Even if it was your landlord is still in breach of the Act by coming round every day (see here), nevermind anything else. Also he would have needed to terminate your previous tenancy agreement first which from the sounds of it he did not.

I agree with Brett that the best thing for you to do is to have a long talk to tenancy services.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, yeah he just blatantly said "This house is now a boarding house" and bam it was a boarding house..
        I'll give them a call, Thanks again

Comment

Stop paying rent and make him evict you. When he does nail him for his illegal conduct.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdWAVElands View Post
            Stop paying rent and make him evict you. When he does nail him for his illegal conduct.
            never ever stop paying rent as long as you are living there

Comment

Nearly robbed?

Is that like being a little bit pregnant?

Comment

Nearly robbed is the same as nearly not robbed, depending on your pov.

Comment

If you take him to TT you could argue that the existing tenancy agreement (verbal only, but still.... it was in force) was that the property was not a boarding house, but a single tenancy, so effectively he's terminated your tenancy (and replaced it with a boarding house arrangement) without notice. Score 1 point to you.

He's also been turning up without the required notice. Score 2 points to you.

My advice. Document everything. Try to make a written record of events to date (as best you can).

Keep up the rent payments, but apply to Tenancy Tribunal.

You do need to know in your own mind what you want the end outcome to be: You pay rent and get to live there and get your quiet enjoyment of the property, or you leave and live somewhere else.

Comment

Depending on the area/zone of the property - the landowner may have also needed a resource consent to establish a boarding house/hostel...

Comment

Working...
                    X