Header Ad Module

Collapse

How to do credit check?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Glenn
    Fanatical
    • Jun 2005
    • 3861

    #16
    Originally posted by duck View Post
    I've heard that picking tenants from trademe can be great, as you can check out their profile etc before you even reply to them. Check out what they buy and sell... Can tell quite a bit from what people move. I haven't had experience here yet, but plan too. I have a friend that only ever takes tenants from trademe and has had good success in screening
    I do not do a lot of trademe adverts because of the hiddeous ripoff cost.
    I only do it for up market properties that we are struggling to find a good tenant for.
    I find that I always get lots of low life applicants. Sure I do get genuine ones also but a lot of the people coming from this source are the ones that know property managers will check them out. There are heaps of people that do not want property managers to check them out with credit checks. Simply owning a computer does not make a person good.

    Comment

    • BusyLizzy
      ***** Junkie
      • Apr 2005
      • 2311

      #17
      Originally posted by duck View Post
      I've heard that picking tenants from trademe can be great, as you can check out their profile etc before you even reply to them. Check out what they buy and sell... Can tell quite a bit from what people move. I haven't had experience here yet, but plan too. I have a friend that only ever takes tenants from trademe and has had good success in screening
      You ARE kidding, right? Yes, looking at their 'for sale' items is one vaguely possible way to get an insight into them. (Let's see, I've sold stuff on behalf of others who didn't have a Trade Me account, I've sold 'junk' left behind by tenants who did a runner. Not sure what that says about me?! Actually, maybe if I did a TradeMe check on the tenant who did the runner, maybe I wouldn't have been in a position where I needed to sell their junk.)

      Seriously, you need to do some more substantial checking then on TradeMe. They may be selling quality, upmarket stuff and have great feedback - but does it mean they will pay their rent on time? Or maybe they're selling stuff they ripped off their last landlord.....

      Do a search on 'credit check' in the tenancy forum. THere have been lots of discussion about this in the past :-)
      Lisa

      Comment

      • hawkeye
        Addicted
        • May 2004
        • 744

        #18
        Originally posted by Glenn View Post
        Veda have recently ramped up the cost for PIA members but it is still good value.
        I found it really difficult getting off the free annual rate and onto the subscription rate to return our per check fee back down to the old rate.

        Hi Glenn,

        What is the level of individual subscription per annum you pay to get the old cheaper checking rates? I ask as the main reason I belong to the CPIA is to use Veda Advantage.

        Comment

        • Glenn
          Fanatical
          • Jun 2005
          • 3861

          #19
          I think it was $290 per year. The difference for me was about $500 per month so the annual fee is the way to go.

          Comment

          • markw1
            Forum Junkie
            • Oct 2007
            • 322

            #20
            Originally posted by Glenn View Post
            I do not do a lot of trademe adverts because of the hiddeous ripoff cost.
            I only do it for up market properties that we are struggling to find a good tenant for.
            I find that I always get lots of low life applicants. Sure I do get genuine ones also but a lot of the people coming from this source are the ones that know property managers will check them out. There are heaps of people that do not want property managers to check them out with credit checks. Simply owning a computer does not make a person good.
            Glenn, Try www.homeads.co.nz
            They advertise for trademe for free for you and you receive all corrospondence from prospective tenants. Homeads make their money from charging the tenant 1 weeks rent if they take your property.

            Comment

            Working...