Header Ad Module

Collapse

Water Bunnies

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Glenn
    Fanatical
    • Jun 2005
    • 3861

    #1

    Water Bunnies

    Water bunnies

    In Nelson the city council charges us for the water we use. Generally the tenants use about 300 ltrs a day that averages out to about 10cubic m a month. The City charges us $1.719 per cu m. Landlords are permitted to pass on these cost to the tenant.
    So every 6 months when the water charges are sent out to the owners we have a flurry of activity invoicing the tenants of all the properties we manage. Inevitably there will be some very high water accounts. The city council is quite proactive on sudden increases of water and will more often than not contact the owner bringing the unusually high usage to their attention. Sometimes it is discovered that there are leaking pipes and overflowing header tanks or toilets malfunctioning. The council contractors are very helpful and will assist owners to find the underground leaks. Well after a change of tenants one flat suddenly started using lots more water. An account for $400 came in. The city boys came snooping around and could not find anything. The owner tried also but alas could not figure out why the flat was using 1.6 cu m of water a day. This is 5 times the normal usage. I was assigned the job to find out the problem. I demanded the council men meet me on site. The meter reads to a tenth of a litre. When we were there the meter was stopped dead still. No leaks at all. The tenants consist of a stay at home mum, pre teenage son, and working dad. Completely normal and no drugs to be seen anywhere. This is nuts I thought. There must be something wrong. I talked over the issue with the tenant and they could not offer any ideas. They were not keen to pay the account and said they had seen the tap drip once or twice. Could that be the problem? Another strange thing was the bathroom always seemed to have a lot of condensation. The tenants thought the toilet cistern was leaking because it had a lot of condensation on its outside. I managed to get the council to change the meter just in case it was the cause. I started reading the meter everyday. Sure enough the strange high usage continued, In fact it seemed to be increasing. Still no leaks could be found. I think I know what the problem is now.
    Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be?
  • Dean@Massiveaction
    Giving life my best shot
    • Jun 2005
    • 5213

    #2
    P-lab in the roof??
    I have had a similar situation once and it was a leaking main under a 20 metre concrete driveway. Had to lift the whole thing to fix it, (over 2 grand). My plumber only found it after putting testing equipment at various points in the line to find out where the water was flowing. The house tests turned up nothing, testing on the house side of the meter showed the problem. There was no water visible or moisture apparent anywhere as it was under 250mm of solid concret

    Comment

    • Glenn
      Fanatical
      • Jun 2005
      • 3861

      #3
      I have been up into the roof cavity and under the flat and into the shed at the back.
      Everything is working normal. I think I know what the problem is.
      Can you guess.

      Comment

      • muppet
        Banned
        • Sep 2003
        • 10593

        #4
        Don't be cruel Glenn, the suspense is killing me.

        Hi Pooomba, we had the same problem with a leak in a rental in Manuwera. It was on the house side of the meter and down the driveway.
        Some concrete had to be removed to fix the problem.
        Only cost a few hundred thank heavens.

        Regards

        Comment

        • Glenn
          Fanatical
          • Jun 2005
          • 3861

          #5
          Originally posted by muppet View Post
          Don't be cruel Glenn, the suspense is killing me.
          Now that could be new way to get rid of bad tenants. Give em some cruel suspense.
          The lady walks around all the time clutching her dog to her bosum.
          Can you guess

          Comment

          • tricky
            Fanatical
            • Dec 2004
            • 1127

            #6
            Something about the bathroom? - they're flushing the loo a lot or having continuous showers?

            Comment

            • muppet
              Banned
              • Sep 2003
              • 10593

              #7
              Don't tell me they were having it ...... under the shower several times a day.

              Comment

              • Traff
                Addicted
                • Jan 2005
                • 772

                #8
                For gods sakes Glenn please tell i'm dying to know, are they using the bathroom as a steam room or something?

                Comment

                • ActionMan
                  Forum Junkie
                  • Mar 2006
                  • 293

                  #9
                  Glen doesn't really know - he thinks he knows.

                  Comment

                  • Glenn
                    Fanatical
                    • Jun 2005
                    • 3861

                    #10
                    Last night I figured out how much they need to pay us.
                    I have sent them another invoice / statement for the water and a note on it that they must increase their weekly payments by $30 per week. They are using $20 per week of water. They currently owe over $600.
                    I will drag them before the tribunal and I am looking forward to having the technologicaly challenged tenancy adjudicator along with the nice lady mediator deeply puzzeled. This will teach the legal eagles to mess in technical areas that they do not understand.
                    Property management is more than wandering around in a nice uniform and talking lovingly to the tenants.

                    Any ideas forumites.

                    I will supply another clue later in the week.

                    Comment

                    • essence
                      Fanatical
                      • May 2004
                      • 3578

                      #11
                      Ah-Ha!!

                      They're diverting the water to a hydroponics plant!!!
                      Patience is a virtue.

                      Comment

                      • Carex
                        Freshie
                        • Feb 2004
                        • 81

                        #12
                        She is probably running a dog grooming business and washes the dogs in the bathroom.
                        Whatever it takes ...

                        Comment

                        • ream
                          Addicted
                          • May 2007
                          • 772

                          #13
                          Yeah, it has to be something to do with that dog....

                          Comment

                          • Glenn
                            Fanatical
                            • Jun 2005
                            • 3861

                            #14
                            I did wonder about setting up a webcam in the bathroom and posting it on youtube.
                            I am still guessing. No one has guessed what I have guessed yet.

                            Comment

                            • ream
                              Addicted
                              • May 2007
                              • 772

                              #15
                              OK, so it's the bathroom....there were several points about it in the first post too....

                              Obsessive Compulsive Disorder making her wash constantly? Gotta be something to do with lady clutching dog in strange manner....

                              They're allowing & charging other people to have showers/baths at their place for some reason?

                              Comment

                              Working...