Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meth or P related - it goes here, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personally I'd use the "precautionary principle". Sure there's chemicals around the home but they're in safe containers, I'm not touching and breathing them. As far as I can tell from the literature, bad P contamination can slowly give you neurological damage and respiratory damage. Might be true, might not, but I sure don't want to find out the hard way.

I also don't want to be caught holding the ball on something that is slated for major clean up or demo.

Not only am I having tests done before purchase, but after looking into this issue, I decided if I ever start renting anywhere myself as a tenant, I won't sign a lease until I have had a p test done on the premises (at my own expense).

It's just not worth it, why take a risk you don't need to.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cool View Post
      Personally I'd use the "precautionary principle". Sure there's chemicals around the home but they're in safe containers, I'm not touching and breathing them. As far as I can tell from the literature, bad P contamination can slowly give you neurological damage and respiratory damage. Might be true, might not, but I sure don't want to find out the hard way.

I also don't want to be caught holding the ball on something that is slated for major clean up or demo.

Not only am I having tests done before purchase, but after looking into this issue, I decided if I ever start renting anywhere myself as a tenant, I won't sign a lease until I have had a p test done on the premises (at my own expense).

It's just not worth it, why take a risk you don't need to.
      The tests you are carrying out - what is the margin of error and exactly what chemicals are they testing for?

From my limited understanding P is produced from some common household chemicals and I am wonder just how accurate these are for actually assessing whether a house has had P manufactured in it.

Comment

• Real estate agent fined over meth property
        A real estate agent who failed to ensure potential buyers were aware a property they viewed had tested positive for methamphetamine has been found guilt of unsatisfactory conduct.
        An agent who failed to make sure potential buyers were aware a property had tested positive for methamphetamine has been found guilty of unsatisfactory conduct.

Comment

• buying a meth house

I've done some research on meth houses, and have the following :

Meth lab status will stay on the LIM forever, making it difficult to sell.
          This will affect the valuation by 10-30% forever.
          Insurance may be difficult to get, and likely higher premiums.
          LVR will probably need to be much lower.

Assuming no further cleanup costs, am I missing anything? We are looking at a property that has completed cleanup. I've started by reducing valuation by 20%. Then deducting estimated reinstatement costs estimated at 60k. Then deducted another 10k for further cleanup contingency. Then deduct a profit of 10k per month for the duration of the project (50k). That takes a 400k property down to 200k. Seems unlikely to me. But knowing that 99.9% of people would run a mile, would they have a choice? At 50% LVR I can handle the 100k deposit and 60k remedial work. Rental appraisal 500, so return is good. Insurance might be $10/week higher than normal, but no biggie.

Thoughts?

Comment

• Rental appraisal 500, so return is good.
            Is that based on full disclosure to the tenant of past meth contamination ?

Comment

• Comment

• Law does not require disclosure to tenants

Comment

• Does LIM still reflect Meth Lab status if the meth house was entirely removed and rebuilt new one?

Comment

• Originally posted by crashy View Post
                    Law does not require disclosure to tenants
                    What about disclosure to property managers.
                    Should they be informed ?

Comment

• Do banks even lend for meth houses? Personally, I wouldn't go near it. I'd rather get out of property investment than buy a meth house. Invest your time into finding another deal.
                      “Our favorite holding period is forever.”

Comment

• Buy at land value bowl over and rebuild

Comment

• Originally posted by crashy View Post
                          Law does not require disclosure to tenants
                          I can't see that lasting much longer!
                          You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

• Originally posted by drelly View Post
                            I can't see that lasting much longer!
                            My thoughts exactly.
                            What do our PMs think, should an owner disclose to you ?

Comment

• Originally posted by speights boy View Post
                              My thoughts exactly.
                              What do our PMs think, should an owner disclose to you ?
                              It's an easy vote winner if it's tenanted properties only but imagine if it was all properties... could cause absolute chaos!
                              You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

• Originally posted by drelly View Post
                                ..... imagine if it was all properties... could cause absolute chaos!
                                Why, if it's already on the LIM ?

Comment

Working...
                                X