Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meth or P related - it goes here, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah - the vast majority would indicate 70%+ to me which is a heck of a lot of P

Comment

• Wonder just how accurate the tests are - does anyone have one which states the reliability? Given that P is produced with many common household products just how many tests are being affected by these common chemicals?

Comment

• Originally posted by Keys View Post
        I have a question for you.

You walk into a bakery just as a health department officer walks out. You recognize him and ask him why he was there.

"reports of cockroaches in the kitchen"

"any found?"

"yes, but all sorted now"

So, do you purchase any cream buns?
        Excellent example!

Comment

• Hi everyone,

Has anyone had any experience with this:

Technical information Meth Minder is a stand alone device, powered by long life batteries, which communicate wirelessly via the national digital cell network. No power or phone connection required. In simple terms, Meth Minder monitors the surrounding atmosphere within which it is placed. Meth Minder is also fitted with an array of anti tamper alarms

A colleague has just had it installed and I'm considering it. At $49.95 per month (if you don't buy the unit) we're talking about $600 Per annum. Plus there is an installation fee. It sounds expensive until I look at the cost of a decontamination, particularly for manufacture scenarios.

I am seriously considering it but would like to hear feedback from anyone who's used this, or just general opinions.

Thanks all

Tom

Comment

• I am thinking that writing a clause into the TA that the tenant agrees to have the property monitored by such a device would be enough to deter most addicts ... without ever installing one. They would never bother becoming your tenant.

But actually installing the device sounds expensive. But if installed what's to stop a clever addict disabling the device without obvious damage (excess power comes to mind) and if the tenant denies causing the damage, it me be difficult to prove for compensation.

Comment

• Landlords install meth monitors to deter P labs - Hamilton

Landlords install meth monitors to deter P labs

LIB WILSON Last updated 05:00 09/04/2014

Devices to monitor houses for illegal drugs are starting to appear in Waikato rental properties but agencies say the demand isn't great - yet.
              The MethMinder is a smoke detector-sized monitoring and alarm unit which can detect gases given out in the P cooking process and use the digital cell network to send a message to monitors.
              One was installed several weeks ago at Amy Maynard-Hassett's rented home in Silverdale.
              The 26-year-old and her fellow tenants - mostly family members - had been in the house about four months and were a little surprised to find the monitor was for drugs.
              But they had nothing to fear, she said. "It was basically like . . . ‘Install away. You're not going to find anything'."
              Later, they asked friends to see if anyone else had a similar monitor in their properties but no-one had.
              Auckland-based MethSolutions sales and marketing manager Nicky Stratford said the "highly sensitive" monitor had been on the market for around five years.
              "It's very much a deterrent but it also detects," she said.
              "Ultimately, at the end of the day, it's about protecting the asset [property] but also protecting the health and safety of the tenants and the future tenants going into the property."
              She estimated that about 30 monitors had been installed in the Waikato area and said interest was "growing by the day".
              Installation outside Auckland cost around $200 and yearly lease costs started from $440.
              More at
              "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

• Are there not other drugs? All we hear about is P.
                Last edited by muppet; 09-04-2014, 01:36 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Hi Foglefar,

That's an interesting point about writing it into the TA. Nice.

Apparently they have serious tamper-proof mechanisms on them which alerts the call centre if anything goes wrong. That's also why I am looking at not buying the units, instead paying the lease, so if they don't do what they say they do I'm not stuck with the unit.

I'm still looking into this but I am certainly considering it for some of my properties.

Cheers

Tom
                  Last edited by Tom; 09-04-2014, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• You must be mixing in the wrong circles Maccachic..
                    “Our favorite holding period is forever.”

Comment

• What's to stop someone wrapping the device in glad wrap so it never registers any chemicals?

Comment

• Hi Foglefar,

Not sure. I'll have to check that out with them. It's good point, it's amazing how "industrious" some tenants can be when it comes to getting around the rules.

When I find this out I'll let you know.

Cheers

Tom

Comment

• Well consumption is only positive on a test if the occupants were regular smokers. I'm not talking weekly probably daily meaning a meth addict was living there at some stage. As far as consumption goes not ultra harmful.
                          Speak to a professional about ins and outs of consumption decontamination. If you're planning on repainting and recarpeting etc I would say would decontaminate hugely.

Comment

• Originally posted by td91 View Post
                            Speak to a professional about ins and outs of consumption decontamination. If you're planning on repainting and recarpeting etc I would say would decontaminate hugely.
                            I always think of professionals as being people who have years of experiance.
                            Who would have much real experiance in the meth decontamination business?
                            I suspect they all do as they were told somewhere along the way without thinking if there are better. cheaper ways - or even if it is really neccessary.

Comment

• Ex-meth house turns into renovation nightmare
                              Devastated homeowners Kevin and Liz Middleton are $25,000 out of pocket after decontaminating their west Auckland home which was once used as a p-lab.
                              They bought the Titirangi house as a "doer upper" but their DIY dream quickly turned into a nightmare after the home tested positive for methamphetamine contamination.
                              Insurance will cover some contents but not the $25,000 decontamination bill.
                              It's a hard lesson for the couple who paid for a building inspection but in hindsight realise they should have tested for methamphetamine too.

"We completely didn't think about it," Kevin Middleton says.
                              "I'm happy to say maybe we should have been smarter."
                              Middleton hopes their story will serve as a warning to others.

Comment

Working...
                              X