Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meth or P related - it goes here, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the post SB.

I think a lot of people are getting ripped of with the decontamination costs, but the easiest way to avoid these would be to get the test done before purchase! A few hundred dollars might save thousands!

Ross
    Book a free chat here
    Ross Barnett - Property Accountant

Comment

• Testing for Meth - can I make the seller pay for the test?

Hi there,

I'm looking at a house which looks very very rough - it looks like it may have been a p house or at the least a house that was unloved - a few holes in the walls etc. However i'ts good stunning views and the neighbourhood is not great but it's still pretty nice.

I've contacted the agent to see if it has been tested for Meth - I was told no and that the property with Public Trust - obviously a deceased estate? i've not found that out yet. The REA said the owners had decided not to test the property but to leave that up to the purchaser.

I've heard it can cost hundreds of dollars for these tests. I'm wondering is there anyway I could put the onus on the seller to pay for the test and still get it independently tested? Or for that matter the Real Estate Agent?

Has anyone done this before - what have been your experiences?

Cheers,

Comment

• Ignore the meth concern for a minute, and work out what your opening offer on the house would be.
        Make the offer for that amount minus $500, and have the appropriate meth test clause as a condition in the S&P.

Comment

• You can ask for what u like. Doesnt mean they have to do it. Its all about whether they feel they can sell without doing wof type tests. Building reports. But feel free to put it in the conditions of purchase. If I was vendor I would agree to a test but at your expense.

Comment

• It coud of just been a rough occupant.
            An alcoholic with a temper or someone with a temper in general.

Make your offer and include a meth test as something you want.

Comment

• I would have thought a meth test is part of due diligence. You should pay and choose the testing company yourself. You can reduce your offer by the cost etc.

Comment

• If the sellers test came back as negative for Meth you purchase then you hear that it did occur then what? The test operator only owes a duty of care to the person who commissioned the report which in this instance isn't you, the seller provided you with a test which is what you required.

Same thing for a building inspection always best to commission your own due diligence.

Comment

• I was thinking the same thing. Would you want the vendor to choose a valuer and pay for that? How about having him choose and pay your lawyer's fee? It's bad enough he gets to choose the RE agent.

Comment

• Also is it required to give the property report to the real estate owner/vendor once completed if not going ahead with the purchase due to the property report?

The agent said she is required to get the full report of me. I am not trying to hid anything I think it is just unfair if I pay for a report then the owners get a copy for free for them to use... Thoughts please
                    Last edited by kiwibean; 30-04-2014, 03:54 PM.

Comment

• Generally the reports have for the commissioners eye only or something similar in legalese.

Comment

• Kiwibean, the REA is just trying to cover her own tush as she is legally obliged to disclose anything untoward to other potential buyers. You have no obligation to give her the report.
                        My blog. From personal experience.
                        http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

• ^ thanks for that sidinz. I thought that might of been the case. It seemed a bit dodgy to me from how she was saying it.

Comment

• Signs a house has been used to cook meth

Some family members have moved into a new house recently, and there's a few strong smells and odd stains around the house. Just wonder what the signs are that a house has been used to cook meth?

Comment

• Get a test done I reckon. I think they only cost a couple hundred bucks?
                              Squadly dinky do!

Comment

• big hole in the hallway ceiling where the bath dropped through

Comment

Working...
                                X