Header Ad Module

Collapse

Tenants strike back with own website

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • muppet
    Banned
    • Sep 2003
    • 10593

    #1

    Tenants strike back with own website

    Tenants strike back with own website

    5:00AM Wednesday February 14, 2007
    By Anne Gibson

    Tenants who want to make their renting experiences public are being encouraged to post comments about their landlords and property managers on a website.

    But the site has raised the ire of a landlords' group, which says it allows tenants to bad-mouth landlords.

    John Oldfield said his new website - http://www.landlordcheck.co.nz - was not a "name and shame" site but an attempt to promote the idea that tenants were customers who should be treated well.

    "A lot of landlords have poor attitudes towards tenants," he said, citing one comment posted on a property investment website which said: "We often have a certain level of disdain for tenants, we look down on them and pity the way they have to pay us rent because they can't organise their own finances to be able to purchase a property of their own."

    Oldfield said such attitudes were pervasive and should change.

    He started the site in September after having difficulty with the property manager for the flat he was renting and becoming interested in tenants' rights. "I got the impression that a lot of landlords have to change their attitudes towards tenants," he said.

    Oldfield said landlords should realise they were providing a service and they could lose customers if that service was inadequate.

    To give balance to his website, landlords could post replies, he said.

    He noticed feedback to the Herald this month calling for a database for tenants after the Tenancy Tribunal's decision to post all its decisions online, potentially allowing landlords to compile bad-tenant lists.

    "While most landlords/property managers provide their tenants with good service, many do not. They can make tenants' lives a misery by not doing property repairs or maintenance, evicting tenants without valid reason, or harassing them," the website says.

    "Landlord Check New Zealand aims to improve the quality of service provided by landlords and property managers. On this site tenants can create reports on their renting experiences, good or bad, that can be accessed by others who are intending to rent a property.

    "Tenants can also access rental property advertisements posted by landlords and property managers that have received positive feedback from other tenants. Prospective tenants can therefore be confident they are going to have a good rental experience."

    Landlords and property managers with good feedback can place rental advertisements on the site for free.

    Andrew King of the Auckland Property Investors Association said he had some concerns about the site.

    "I'm not against it, but I think it suffers from some of the complaints its producers are making against tenant sites. Anyone can put up gripes against a landlord and unless the landlord knows about the site and checks regularly, they may have no idea that bad comments have been made against them in a public place.

    "Even if the landlord finds out about the negative posting, the site's administrators decide if it will be removed or not, yet it may be untrue or biased. The very fact that they set up the site makes them biased against landlords and as such unlikely to give them a balanced hearing," he said.

    "The site is actually worse than most tenant sites as there doesn't have to be any third-party clarification such as a mediation or tenancy tribunal decision. Basically a tenant can put up whatever they like."

    But he does approve of one aspect: "You can put up good comments. It was very pleasing to see association members listed in the section on good landlords."

    Latest breaking news articles, photos, video, blogs, reviews, analysis, opinion and reader comment from New Zealand and around the World - NZ Herald
  • Rolf
    Addicted
    • Dec 2004
    • 519

    #2
    I just had a look at the site, and it doesn't look very professional. It also seems anyone can publish anything they like, including landlords addresses, phone numbers etc.
    What about the Privacy Act? I may not be interested in having my address on public display. I get enough junk mail already.
    When I give an address to tenants, I doubt they have the right to publish it just like that?

    And by the way, look at the 'About' page, their 'rating' icons are exact copies of those on TradeMe...
    High resolution Fractal Art on quality canvas: www.FractalArt.co.nz

    Comment

    • k1w1
      Fanatical
      • Dec 2006
      • 1652

      #3
      Hence one of the few advantages of living abroad.

      Comment

      • k1w1
        Fanatical
        • Dec 2006
        • 1652

        #4
        When you register as a landlord you are asked for your "region". I can confirm (from an email reply I received from the site admin) that the region you enter has no bearing on any alerts you might receive - if you have property spanning more than 1 region.

        Here's hoping for a few alert emails. Like an ASBO, I'd use that as a badge of honour.

        Comment

        • shanenz
          Freshie
          • Nov 2006
          • 80

          #5
          Originally posted by Rolf View Post
          I just had a look at the site, and it doesn't look very professional. It also seems anyone can publish anything they like, including landlords addresses, phone numbers etc.
          What about the Privacy Act? I may not be interested in having my address on public display. I get enough junk mail already.
          When I give an address to tenants, I doubt they have the right to publish it just like that?

          And by the way, look at the 'About' page, their 'rating' icons are exact copies of those on TradeMe...
          - It's a bugger but the privacy act doesnot apply to publicly available information so your address is on the electorol role or in the phone book anyone can publish it anywhere they choose same with phone number etc etc

          Has anybody had problems with using a po box as adress for service ? I started to use it couple of months ago as don't want some tenants knowing my personal address and haven't been told by DBH not too ..... yet

          Comment

          • CJ
            Fanatical
            • Oct 2003
            • 3570

            #6
            To be a true independant site, surely you should have tenenat and landlord reviews. The new goverment should do this if it lists all Tenancy tribual decisions.

            Comment

            • xris
              Fanatical
              • Nov 2005
              • 3283

              #7
              It's a bugger but the privacy act doesnot apply to publicly available information so your address is on the electorol role or in the phone book anyone can publish it anywhere they choose same with phone number etc etc
              If those details are not in the phone book, then what?

              Has anybody had problems with using a po box as adress for service ? I started to use it couple of months ago as don't want some tenants knowing my personal address and haven't been told by DBH not too ..... yet
              Glenn should perhaps comment on this in the light of the rta review and amendments.

              I understand that this service address requirement not being a po box is to be scrapped. I also understand that one reason for this is that the rta (1986) preceeded modern communication technology which has now rendered unnecessary the need for a physical address.

              I won't give my real address, even to the point of making one up - to hell with the law. Fraud is preferable to having a brick through my window. I am guessing that the TT would turn a blind eye if this was ever challenged but so far it never has been.


              xris
              Last edited by xris; 15-02-2007, 05:20 AM.

              Comment

              • BusyLizzy
                ***** Junkie
                • Apr 2005
                • 2311

                #8
                I have used my PO Box on a bond refund form without any problems. Otherwise, I always used my work street address. However, as I'm not working at the moment I'm not sure what address I will use... Like Xris, I certainly don't ever want to give my home address out.
                Last edited by BusyLizzy; 15-02-2007, 06:44 AM. Reason: typo
                Lisa

                Comment

                • Glenn
                  Fanatical
                  • Jun 2005
                  • 3861

                  #9
                  Originally posted by xris View Post

                  Glenn should perhaps comment on this in the light of the rta review and amendments.

                  I understand that this service address requirement not being a po box is to be scrapped. I also understand that one reason for this is that the rta (1986) preceeded modern communication technology which has now rendered unnecessary the need for a physical address.

                  I won't give my real address, even to the point of making one up - to hell with the law. Fraud is preferable to having a brick through my window. I am guessing that the TT would turn a blind eye if this was ever challenged but so far it never has been.


                  xris
                  Now there was something in the review about address for service that I recall commenting on as being good. But goodness me I can not even remember what the details were now. The address for service pops up in more places than the RTA and is needed for things like District court proceedures. Interesting as it may seem (so some people) the court will accept peoples place of employment as an address for service. They will not accept (in Nelson) the Department of Corrections such as community service but have been known to serve warrants on debtors outside the PD depot.
                  So yes a few things need to be changed.

                  Back to this silly site and all that. You can tell how wonderful they are by the silly list of firms they have listed as property managers in Nelson. They have listed a couple of firms that only deal with commercial properties and left most of the residential PM's out, not to mention mine. With me accounting for 10% of all applications to the tribunal in Nelson and Housing NZ exceeding me by a wide margin for the number of applications it will be a while till they get out of disposable nappies. Actually I feel quiet numb that they have missed me. Even bad publicity is better than nothing.

                  Comment

                  • cube
                    Thinking outside the square.
                    • Jun 2005
                    • 5076

                    #10
                    Even bad publicity is better than nothing.
                    It doesn't have to be bad - the site also allows for positive feedback, so maybe wqe should encourage our 'success' stories to be placed on there!

                    cube
                    DFTBA

                    Comment

                    • shanenz
                      Freshie
                      • Nov 2006
                      • 80

                      #11
                      Originally posted by xris View Post
                      If those details are not in the phone book, then what?
                      xris
                      By law you have to be on electrol role so that sucks , but it is handy for finding people from time too time

                      " It doesn't have to be bad - the site also allows for positive feedback, so maybe wqe should encourage our 'success' stories to be placed on there! "

                      - It's hard to have a success story when all you do is rent houses out , the only way a tenants are going to like us is if we let them stay in our houses after they have missed rent !

                      Comment

                      • Glenn
                        Fanatical
                        • Jun 2005
                        • 3861

                        #12
                        Originally posted by shanenz View Post
                        By law you have to be on electrol role so that sucks , but it is handy for finding people from time too time
                        Well I am on the unpublished roll. This is very handy.
                        It did take a bit of effort to get there though.
                        Once there my wife and kids also were automaticly entitled to be on it also.
                        I will leave the long saga of how I achieved this for another time.

                        Comment

                        • xris
                          Fanatical
                          • Nov 2005
                          • 3283

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Glenn View Post
                          Well I am on the unpublished roll. This is very handy.
                          It did take a bit of effort to get there though.
                          Once there my wife and kids also were automaticly entitled to be on it also.
                          I will leave the long saga of how I achieved this for another time.

                          I thought only judges got onto that.

                          xris

                          Comment

                          • Glenn
                            Fanatical
                            • Jun 2005
                            • 3861

                            #14
                            When I vote each election I have to go to the city council office to do it. They bring out the unpublished roll to mark me off. It appears to have a lot of names in it for Nelson.
                            As mentioned it took all of my obstinate unstoppable can do attitude to get on it. I never lost my cool and never resorted to complaining to the staff. After it was granted I got a very nice letter in from someone high up (perhaps he worked on the 7th floor) apologising for the trouble it took. Nice gesture I thought bearing in mind as I said I did not kick up a stink or complain at all. I just followed their system to the t and it worked once I cornered them. If anyone wants to know how to do it just PM me. Incidently the path I trod down to get it resulted in another property to manage. Given to me by one of the parties I was appealing to who liked my story. Well actually they appealed to me to take it off their hands.

                            Comment

                            • CJ
                              Fanatical
                              • Oct 2003
                              • 3570

                              #15
                              Glenn said
                              After it was granted I got a very nice letter in from someone high up (perhaps he worked on the 7th floor) apologising for the trouble it took.
                              They try to keep people out, but once in the club, you get treated like royalty. Is there a secret handshake aswell.

                              All directors of companies must also put down their personal address for service dont they?
                              Last edited by muppet; 15-02-2007, 10:45 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...