X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's start at the very beginning

Hi all,

This is my very first post

I am 22 years old and I am brand spanking new to real estate investing (I have not yet purchased my first property).

There are several things I wish to acheive from this post:

1. Can anyone recommend any good books which will help with my property investment education?

2. Does anyone know of any 'real estate investment groups' in Wellington which are specifically targeted for beginners?

As I am new to the real estate invesment world, I am very keen for any advice and knowledge that people are willing to pass on. I want to learn as much as I can to give me a good foundation before making my first purchase.

"The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to go beyond them, to the impossible".

Regards
    Rebecca

Hi Rebecca,

Welcome aboard!

First things first: I wish I was thinking like you at your age. (I'm not that much older when counted in years, but you'll have the best part of two property cycles headstart on me if you start now.)

I have two favourite books: Lisa Dudson and Andrew King's Complete Guide to Rsidential Property Investment in New Zealand, and Jan Somers and Dolf de Roos's Building Wealth Through Investment Property. These are (in my opnion) both very good resources.

Apart from learning the fundamentals (from those books and through this site), your local property investor's association would be a great help.

Finally, I'm assuming that you have a job, and probably don't have children. This is an ideal time to start. If I were in your position, I would look at purchasing a property, living in it, and getting two or three boarders. This will help greatly with debt servicing.

Very best,

Paul.

Comment

Hi Rebecca and welcome,

We are having a small PT xmas party/dinner on the 7th of December, it's in the events section on this site.

Please feel free to join us and meet some of the Wellington PT regulars.

Cheers
      Steve Goodey

Comment

Hi Rebecca,

Try Jamie MacIntrye's (a successful property & shares millionaire) excellent & free ebook: "What I didn't Learn At School But Wish I Did" below.

Kind regards,

James

Comment

James

You might want to note that the site links you have in your avatar/signature? contain a number of harmful downloads according to my virusscaning software which target your machine each time you visit the site. It may be worth advsing whoeever is responsible for this site that they may have issues around the security of their site.

PM me if you need any details.

Simon

Comment

Rebecca where do I start on books...

A good one with local content from Kieran

This is on property cycles.

Another one I enjoyed for a differnt read was Graeme Fowlers book which is ten NZ PI's stories.
            not so much a how to just the differing strategies they used.

Simon

Comment

Rebecca,

The book Simon mentions is also available via the bookstore on this site:

Scout around the bookstore - many of the books also contain reviews by the PT forum members.

Likewise, there are one or two other threads where people have suggested good books - you should be able to search them out.

Good luck!
              Lisa

Comment

Hi Simon,

Have sent you the George Soros audio link.

Everything seems to be fine from our end.

& yes please PM what you have.

regards,

James

Comment

This is my very first post
                  Congratulations

1. Can anyone recommend any good books which will help with my property investment education?
                  The bookstore on the menu toolbar is loaded with helpful books and reviews also

2. Does anyone know of any 'real estate investment groups' in Wellington which are specifically targeted for beginners?
                  Join the local property association or come along to one of our Propertytalk events. They are both a great way to meet other people even if you do not have a property yet

And of course posting on these forums is good to.

"The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to go beyond them, to the impossible".
                  Nice comment

P.S I assembled some good info here too

Comment

Awesome Whitt - I didn't know about the 'Tips for Newbies' document. Somehow I missed that one.

Also - there are is the thread that Monid started - which groups various threads by subject matter....

Have a look at this one, as well.

Rebecca, as WHitt mentioned - come along to one of the PT Xmas catch-ups over the next few weeks (assuming you live near one of the cities where they are being held!). We're a friendly bunch of people - and you'll find lots of experienced people more than happy to offer advice!
                    Lisa

Comment

Hi guys,
                      Thank you to everyone for your advice and tips. I have been to the local library this afternoon and have stocked up on books

It is really awesome to have people who are so willing to share their advice and knowledge.

I am sure I will be posting many more threads in the near future and look forward to your ongoing advice.

Everyone have a safe and wonderful christmas holiday.

Cheers
                      Rebecca

Comment

Working...
                      X