I had to post this to see if there has been anyone else out that has found themselves in the unfortunate situation I am now in.
Are due to settle tomorrow (Monday) on 2 flats that I got under contract a month ago. During the last month we have spent over $15k getting them back up to standard and had a great valuation performed, giving us a healthy profit (some of you may have read my other post about this deal moving us towards our Xmas goal).
Well anyway, today I found out that they have been completely vandalised over the weekend, all windows broken, the house spray painted over all the walls, inside and out, all brand new curtains ripped out, new carpet and underlay ripped up and removed, locks broken, doors kicked in. You can imagine how I feel.
So with the deposit on these paid and the reno just being performed, I am $25k out of pocket and due to settle on a property that is now in a worse state than when I contracted it. Yes it is insured, it has been since the day we started the renovations, and chattels were in the cover.
But as far as the immediate problem is concerned re: the settlement, Im unsure as to what the next step will be. Has any other unfortunate person had this issue before? Have you settled in this state, or enforced the vendor (who legally still owns the dwelling) to remedy this? Dont forget also that from the vendors POV, the property was already run down when we contracted it with him, so I guess the fact that we have spent thousands and it now looks brand new is not going to be taken into account when he repairs the damage. If he even agrees to do this.
Man, what a nightmare. Are still in the UK too, so cant talk to lawyer and insurance company till tomorrow, but hopefully we can sort this out. On top of that, the police havent event made it to the property to inspect it yet, saying there was a spate of burglaries over the weekend and we are 17th in line, so they wont see it till tomorrow.....
Are due to settle tomorrow (Monday) on 2 flats that I got under contract a month ago. During the last month we have spent over $15k getting them back up to standard and had a great valuation performed, giving us a healthy profit (some of you may have read my other post about this deal moving us towards our Xmas goal).
Well anyway, today I found out that they have been completely vandalised over the weekend, all windows broken, the house spray painted over all the walls, inside and out, all brand new curtains ripped out, new carpet and underlay ripped up and removed, locks broken, doors kicked in. You can imagine how I feel.
So with the deposit on these paid and the reno just being performed, I am $25k out of pocket and due to settle on a property that is now in a worse state than when I contracted it. Yes it is insured, it has been since the day we started the renovations, and chattels were in the cover.
But as far as the immediate problem is concerned re: the settlement, Im unsure as to what the next step will be. Has any other unfortunate person had this issue before? Have you settled in this state, or enforced the vendor (who legally still owns the dwelling) to remedy this? Dont forget also that from the vendors POV, the property was already run down when we contracted it with him, so I guess the fact that we have spent thousands and it now looks brand new is not going to be taken into account when he repairs the damage. If he even agrees to do this.
Man, what a nightmare. Are still in the UK too, so cant talk to lawyer and insurance company till tomorrow, but hopefully we can sort this out. On top of that, the police havent event made it to the property to inspect it yet, saying there was a spate of burglaries over the weekend and we are 17th in line, so they wont see it till tomorrow.....


Comment