Are we growing up??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are we growing up??

It's interesting as I move around property circles and talk to investors that there seems to be a huge shift in the last 18 months from "technique" to "mindset".

When I started investment education was all about what to DO to succeed. Strategies, negotiation skills etc. The reality is that you can get all that out of a few books. With the exception of new strategies like GBI's lease options there isn't a whole lot to learn in some respects. Yet that was what was being offered.
    Problem is everybody has done all teh courses, learnt all teh techniques, but never got financially free.

However in the last 12 months especially many more people are realising the significance and critical nature of the right mindset and determination to succeed. I spend a lot of my time with students now helping them overcome their fear and reduce their stress, rather than teaching them how to handle RE agents and the like.

I hope there is more and more focus in this area as that is what enables people to succeed. Sorting our heads out is the greatest investment we can make in our investing success.

I met with a friend yesterday who commented on the money he had spent investing in himself and said that most of his friends/acquaintances thought he was nuts. Yet he has 4 million dollars worth of property geared at 55% while his friends rent!!

My wife and I spend more time/money on counselling and "headspace" now than we ever did before because we realise we can achieve a whole lot more, and have a lot more joy in our lives if we pursue wholeness in every area of our lives.

Thought for the day now over

Very true Dean,

I believe it was in Chris Ashenden’s post where he mentions the six F’s as taught by Keith Cunningham;

Family,
    Faith,
    Friends,
    Fitness,
    Finances,
    Fun!

Finding balance for all these areas is very important to the wholeness of a mindset.

I have this as a screen saver and the welcome message on my phone it reminds me that if you focus too much on one area the others suffer.

Comment

Never a truer word spoken Dean, that is one reason why I beleive John Burleys realestate bootcamp is the best as it doesnt deal directly with the houses, of course they talk about them but it works on your head and why you dont do things.

As for myself I have done a number of courses and many of them are do to with how you think, because I really beleive if you clear all the rubbish out of your head you are free to do what ever you wish. Of course you would replace the rubbish with empowering thoughts.

You really can live the life of your dreams people so it is time to work on the real reason why you dont get what you want, that is if you have a burning desire to live the life of your dreams, for me it is simple now as I really beleive the more you make the more you can give away. SO I am making it to give away now too.

I also beleive I deserve the best of anything I want too so I dont go without myself to help others.

And as far as are we growing up??? Well in my mind, I say not really I want to remain a child forever. Life is so much fun.

Robyn

Comment

Humans don't learn it all at once

I´m wondering whether there is progression of learning. After all, babies and small children don´t learn all the secrets of life at once.

Maybe the technical knowledge is a good foundation to build first. And then, if you work on your mindstate, you really know how to act wisely. Otherwise you end up gung-ho and totally hyped up by courses, but without a clue as to how to proceed and actualise your dreams.

cheers
        Mary
        Mary Jaksch, Nelson

Comment

Hi Dean,
          It's been a while since I've been on this forum, and I was hoping you were still posting away.

If you ask me mind-set is what it's all about. You appear to have a pretty good handle on it, as reflected in your comments.

One of the hardest things is finding and determining what is right for one's self - matching the investment style with the personality type.

But the thing about mind-set goes to the next level. It is about the bigger picture. It is easy to become quite obsesssed about making more money, and the beautiful thing about money is that it is so easily measured, but there are bigger questions that need answering, such as what will fire me out of bed in the morning like a cannon with a passion for the excitement that the new day will bring? When one finds the answer to this the lessor problems of finance and material things will take care of themselves.

Julian
          Gimme $20k. You will receive some well packaged generic advice that will put you on the road to riches beyond your wildest dreams ...yeah right!

Comment

Hi Dean

Will you be covering anything on your mindset in you seminar this month. I would love to hear what thought patterns you use to overcome the fear.

Cheers

FH.
            Home Buyz
            [email protected]

Comment

Read my site Freezing, that's what the day is mostly about!!

Comment

Just have come back from a month in isolation, well basically told to go and have a month away from the world and have come back exceptionally refreshed and itching to get back into it.

I have to admit that I had been going stale for at least six months and the occassional burst of energy was countered by continual stress and worry.

Having looked back over the last two years I have been yo-yoing and with reflection this has meant that opportunities have gone begging as a result of procrastination and to some extent fear.

Dean would have attended the seminar but going to be in transition, will be definate for the next...

Comment

Working...
                X