Onehunga, and Oranga vs Mt Albert/Sandringham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onehunga, and Oranga vs Mt Albert/Sandringham

On the hunt for a PPOR having sold our own place and living in one of my rentals. Thinking about Onehunga, One Tree Hill and Oranga. Is anyone on the forum based out that way or has property there? Initial thoughts are that One Tree Hill is nicer but also pricier so maybe just focusing on Onehunga. I take it the area closer to Royal Oak, Hillsborough is the better part of the suburb? Driving around the downside seems to be the industrial areas as well as Mt Smart Rd which has a lot of HNZ derelict houses. Also seems to be a few young families selling as kids reach school age with the local primary Oranga and Te Papapa not being too good. Any thoughts about Onehunga? The other alternative is Mt Albert/Sandringham which is more expensive but does have good bus links to the city as well as good schooling. Budget is $1.1m....

Your budget will be the deciding factor. All the areas you mention are good now. Traffic is a bit of a a pain around Onehunga. Depending on where you drive regularly factor that in. I would think Sandringham Mt Albert you would be priced out of anything decent. Hillsborough is becoming very Indian and not as nice an area as when I loved there. My pick would be one tree hill if you can get in there freehold at 1.1. Fabulous area.

Comment

I have lived in these areas, closer to town would make sense. If possible any off the side streets with a house with street appeal. Good part of Mt Albert is good, keep away from the state house areas if possible. Had houses an sold houses, people will pay more for houses that don't have all the problems.

Comment

They are all good location it depends on your approach and what type of property. I would keep my eye on all those areas and find the deal with the most upside.. including commercial property - the way houses are priced these days you can buy a small block of retail for the same and avail vendor finance more upside. Oranga/Penrose area is good location for commercial. Just my 2 cents worth.
        Profiting from Property, not People

Want free help on taking your portfolio to the next level?

Comment

Originally posted by eliteincome View Post
          I have lived in these areas, closer to town would make sense. If possible any off the side streets with a house with street appeal. Good part of Mt Albert is good, keep away from the state house areas if possible. Had houses an sold houses, people will pay more for houses that don't have all the problems.
          What is the good part of Mt Albert? Even streets like Fontenoy. Martin, Mt Royal etc have state housing

Comment

Originally posted by P.Bateman View Post
            What is the good part of Mt Albert? Even streets like Fontenoy. Martin, Mt Royal etc have state housing
            In my opinion from best to worst

Golden Triangle is the best
            Streets off Asquith
            Linwood/Seaview Terrace area
            Around woodward road
            I think south of richardson rd is the worst eg Hendon Ave

Comment

Originally posted by P.Bateman View Post
              Beware of Fontenoy as heaps of state houses, Dont know about Mt Royal but its by Owairaka and i wouldnt buy around there. Martin i dont think is that bad

Comment

Working...
              X