The Zombies From Wall Street
Collapse
X
-
Tags: None
-
While it's not my intention by posting the video to compare US/NZ, it may interest some people here to learn there is areas in NZ with large numbers (as a percentage of the population) of abandoned houses.
One example - A couple of years ago I took a detour off SH4 to have a look at a large section (about 2 acres) in a township I can't recall the name of. It was at the end of a dead end road about 3 or 4km off the highway and it was like stepping into another world. Every 2nd house looked abandoned. Most of the town looked overgrown. I was looking for affordable property, but my goodness, that was too much off the field for my liking.
I run a large online forum where the subject of property comes up on a frequent basis. The advice I offer (relevant in the context of the forum) is "Price, Community, Climate - pick any 2". In our case we picked price and community at the cost of climate. It gets rather cold and windy here for a few months in the middle of the year. But it was affordable and doesn't have the obvious social problems evident in many affordable rural towns.Last edited by PTWhatAGreatForum; 19-04-2016, 10:54 PM.
Comment
-
Can you advise where? I have a relative looking to retire to a rural or semirural lifestyle, with a reasonable community outlook. And the more they can get in cash when downsizing from south Auckland, the better.Originally posted by MichaelNZ View PostThe advice I offer (relevant in the context of the forum) is "Price, Community, Climate - pick any 2". In our case we picked price and community at the cost of climate. It gets rather cold and windy here for a few months in the middle of the year. But it was affordable and doesn't have the obvious social problems evident in many affordable rural towns.AAT Accounting Services - Property Specialist - [email protected]
Fixed price fees and quick knowledgeable service for property investors & traders!
Comment
-
The best 2 most affordable regions are Manuwatu and Southland. Ruapehu is also very affordable but personally it wasn't for me. Of course, one has to pick their specific locations anywhere...Originally posted by Anthonyacat View PostCan you advise where? I have a relative looking to retire to a rural or semirural lifestyle, with a reasonable community outlook. And the more they can get in cash when downsizing from south Auckland, the better.
What is their budget? This is very important because in the context of the forum we often get people with budgets in the low $100's or less. If your relative is coming from Auckland they may well have a larger budget and therefore a lot more choice.
Affordable areas I'd give a miss include Northland and Wanganui.
Semi rural will cost a lot more because this implies it's close to a city. Keep in mind if they find a cheap place close to a city a bunch of other people will know about it as well and the area will likely have 'issues'. The best cheap cheap places are farming communities but these tend to be further out. The nearest city could be an hour away.Last edited by PTWhatAGreatForum; 20-04-2016, 08:53 AM.
Comment
-
The only council I know of who is doing this reasonably frequently is Ruapehu. I have seen some of this land in person and I'd give it a miss. It's abandoned for a reason.Originally posted by Toasty View PostIts worth getting on the mailing list for some of these councils abandoned land notifications. You can sometimes pick up land for the price of rates arrears.
Look at it this way: If someone looks around they can get a reasonable section in an affordable area for under $30k, even under $20k. In any instance building will cost well over $1k/m2 (likely closer to $2k/m2) plus etc etc in terms of the list of costs... The land is not the major part.
A lot of the 'free' land can't even be built on. It's a liability. I haven't even got started on the social-economic dynamics of the sort of places it is. Don't do it.
Comment
-
-
Contact the district council and ask to be added to the abondoned land tender list. In the case of Ruapehu this can be done online.Originally posted by HattrickNZ View Posthow do you get on such list? tks
http://www.ruapehudc.govt.nz/our-ser...ing-Sales.aspx
For goodness sake, go and spend some time in the area before buying in. Don't be a dumb Aucklander with money burning a hole in their pockets. If you spend too much it won't increase the values for other places in the area - all that will happen is word gets around and your neighbors will have a laugh.
"Price, Community, Climate - pick any 2". So far I have not seen any exceptions to this.
A few days ago I had a look at 13 acres for under $150k which was only a stones throw away from here... and I thought it was overpriced.
Farming is a s*show now and that's a large segment of the economy of provincial and rural NZ. This is far from Auckland. Don't be blinkered and don't fall for REA 'idiot pitches'.Last edited by PTWhatAGreatForum; 20-04-2016, 09:47 AM.
Comment
-
I hear you!. came accross this and this. Sounds pretty bleak alright but maybe some people like the remoteness. interesting nonetheless.Originally posted by MichaelNZ View PostContact the district council and ask to be added to the abondoned land tender list. In the case of Ruapehu this can be done online.
http://www.ruapehudc.govt.nz/our-ser...ing-Sales.aspx
that link you provide has this for sale. not sure what anyones motivation would be to buy it. locals, neighbour wanting to expand there existing lot,...
Interesting that it gets to the stage where it is cheaper(or they can't afford it) to not pay the rates and abandon it.
Valuation No
06040 106 03
Property Address
47 Taitua Street, Piriaka, Taumarunui
2015/16 Rates
$793.72
LV
$32,000
CV
$32,000
Comment
-
There are far more appropriate 'remoteness' options here:
I don't think you understand the realities in provincial and rural NZ.Originally posted by HattrickNZ View Postthat link you provide has this for sale. not sure what anyones motivation would be to buy it. locals, neighbour wanting to expand there existing lot,...
Interesting that it gets to the stage where it is cheaper(or they can't afford it) to not pay the rates and abandon it.
The neighbors and locals will already be well aware of it. Expand what existing lot? They already have enough land. Land is cheap in places like this and the locals don't want to spend their limited money on buying up the town. That sort of crass greed is a city thing.
What would they use it for anyway? Grazing? How is this going to work when the stock sales value of the animals (the property supports) is less then the yearly rates?
A few places here are rented but the rate of home ownership seems to be a lot higher. Put another way, if you find a provincial town or rural community with many rental properties... stay away.Last edited by PTWhatAGreatForum; 20-04-2016, 04:18 PM.
Comment
-
The point (in response to a previous post) was people who are seeking that "off grid remote" lifestyle tend to congregate in certain areas like the one I linked. I recommend people do not buy any land on the basis someone into the off grid lifestyle would want it. Understand your market in other words.Originally posted by Davo36 View PostI don't understand, some of those places had.... prices???
Comment


Comment