Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monor Dwelling

Hi

I have a investment property i am interested in and have a question which i would appreciate your advice / knowledge on.

It is a back unit in a block of just two. The exclusive use back section is quite generous in size and already has a double garage on it. I am getting the actual measurements but at a guess the Garage is standard double size (6m x 6m) and the area of the back section would be about 13 meters from the end of the small deck to the back fence.

What i am interested in for future consideration is some information / experience on things like:

Converting the double garage into a minor dwelling?
    Possible moving double garage to rear of section (and turning around) for purpose of minor dwelling?

Does anyone know any details about future unitary plan changes that may make this easier?

Has anyone any experience with doing such a conversion of a double garage to minor dwelling (current large tin garage - so appreciate need to fit out with insulation, lining, electrical, plumbing, consider new window etc - it already has a usable door/ebtrance as it has not been used for parking a car (is used for storage)...

Any information / experience appreciated.

Thanks

Originally posted by Rimutaka View Post
    Has anyone any experience with doing such a conversion of a double garage to minor dwelling (current large tin garage - so appreciate need to fit out with insulation, lining, electrical, plumbing, consider new window etc - it already has a usable door/ebtrance as it has not been used for parking a car (is used for storage)...
    I think your wasting your time trying to get a garage up to a specification that will pass muster, it's almost certainly going to cost far more and take far longer than you expect.

Comment

Is this a cross lease?
      If so then you have the added complication of getting the other party to agree - limits what they can do as site coverage is judged on all buildings on section not just your exclusive use bits.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
        Is this a cross lease?
        If so then you have the added complication of getting the other party to agree - limits what they can do as site coverage is judged on all buildings on section not just your exclusive use bits.
        Hi Wayne - yes is cross lease. Yes realise would need permission etc however in this case could be ok as their ability to do much more on their exclusive use is a much less and they already have their space put to good use.

Appreciate it
        Thanks

Comment

If I were the cross-lease neighbour, I wouldn't agree to any plan that increases site coverage as this limits any future development for myself.

In my experience, even if some owners are not property savvy, they usually are smart enough to ask a couple of mates who are developers, real estate agents, etc, and come back with refusing for the reasons I stated above.

Comment

Originally posted by ivanp View Post
            If I were the cross-lease neighbour, I wouldn't agree to any plan that increases site coverage as this limits any future development for myself.

In my experience, even if some owners are not property savvy, they usually are smart enough to ask a couple of mates who are developers, real estate agents, etc, and come back with refusing for the reasons I stated above.
            Great point ivanp - appreciate it.

Even if the large garage was left where it is (suits me $ wise) then the previous owners have already gone some way with plans to do some sort of conversion with it / connect it to the main dwelling. I am just going through the property file and have found quite extensive drawings that seemt o allow for this. I will ask some questions of the agent on this.

Thanks

Comment

The council will NOT allow you to build a minor dwelling on a cross lease property.

I know because I have a cross lease property that I just went through the process with council. No way around it.

Shane

Comment

Originally posted by Shane D View Post
                The council will NOT allow you to build a minor dwelling on a cross lease property.

I know because I have a cross lease property that I just went through the process with council. No way around it.

Shane

Hi Shane

Thanks for your comment.

I have gone right into the property file and have an update which is interesting.

I will not be building a minor dwelling as the structure already exists. It was built as a double garage but somewhere along the line they changed the configuration on the land and removed the driveway to the rear of the section. Since then it is on the title as a 'storage' unit.

In 2005 the owners went through the full planning and consent process to change this storage unit into an office. Consent was granted but they didn't end up making the conversion. So today it is sitting there with a consent which has lapsed to change to office which would have had bathroom/toilet and laundry.

I am calling council today to ask about the future potential/process of picking up on this 2005 consent and ask about adding a very small kitchenette to it also.

Interesting process to be investigating...

Cheers

Comment

I am calling council today to ask about the future potential/process of picking up on this 2005 consent and ask about adding a very small kitchenette to it also.

There is no requirement for a consent for a 'kitchentte', you only need a consent for the sink. Ask them about adding a utility sink. If you cannot create a minor dwelling, then the best outcome you can achieve is a self-contained sleepout that is rented as part of the main dwelling.

Comment

There is no requirement for a consent for a 'kitchentte', you only need a consent for the sink. Ask them about adding a utility sink. If you cannot create a minor dwelling, then the best outcome you can achieve is a self-contained sleepout that is rented as part of the main dwelling.
                    agreed
                    and they cant make you do all the expensive upgrade stuff either which is what kills the exercise. But it has to be safe and sanitary.

Comment

Rimutaka, listen to John the Builder (JTB) he knows what he is talking about.

The council will almost certainly go beyond their remit and what they can legally get you to do.
                      Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Hi Shane

Thanks for your comment.

I have gone right into the property file and have an update which is interesting.

I will not be building a minor dwelling as the structure already exists. It was built as a double garage but somewhere along the line they changed the configuration on the land and removed the driveway to the rear of the section. Since then it is on the title as a 'storage' unit.

In 2005 the owners went through the full planning and consent process to change this storage unit into an office. Consent was granted but they didn't end up making the conversion. So today it is sitting there with a consent which has lapsed to change to office which would have had bathroom/toilet and laundry.

Interesting process to be investigating...

Cheers
                        Rimu,

I am very interested to hear how you go with council. I hope you surprise me on the upside and come and say "got the go ahead" but to be honest I don't holdout much hope.

Shane

Comment

consents dont actually lapse if the work has started....so make a start..... how would they know? The second problem is that under s93 the work must be completed in 2 years but the consent doesnt lapse then it simply triggers the CCC or an extension of time

so apply for the extension of time? or did the council act already?

but the other possibility is that they scoped too much work and scaling the work back may be more economical but this could still be an amendment or else an new consent for the work required that is outside schedule 1

Comment

Working...
                          X