Header Ad Module

Collapse

Untreated timber

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • rach21
    Freshie
    • Mar 2015
    • 34

    #1

    Untreated timber

    Hi all

    Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experiences here. It has been very helpful and I have learning a lot from reading the forums.

    I bought a single level 10 yr old brick and tile property in Wattle Down. I am just worried that the timber used is untreated. The Lim report said that consent was applied on may 2005 and CCC issued on Aug 2005 by Fletcher. Does CCC obtained at this time required treated timber to be put in place or not?

    Thanks heaps
  • John the builder
    Fanatical
    • Nov 2013
    • 2297

    #2
    the good news is that treatment in timber was reintroduced in changes to NZS 3602 in 2003

    bad news is that untreated pine was still considered suitable for low risk brick veneer

    bad news is that this might still be inadequate and simply degrade over a longer time frame

    suggest you get a moisture detection system installed to verify performance and they test timber treatment at the same time. The install is discrete from the inside and lends itself to Bricks as access to framing is difficultly from exterior. Then you will know what you are dealing with(www.moisturedetection,co.nz)
    Last edited by John the builder; 29-05-2015, 10:31 AM. Reason: add and spell

    Comment

    • Andrew1701
      Freshie
      • May 2015
      • 8

      #3
      I am assume you are talking about framing? What makes you worry about this? are there signs of damage? As john said as of 2003 current timber treatments have been in place. It is highly likely your walls will be H1.2, the same as standard framing today
      Last edited by Andrew1701; 29-05-2015, 04:57 PM.

      Comment

      • John the builder
        Fanatical
        • Nov 2013
        • 2297

        #4
        It is highly likely your walls will be H1.2, the same as standard framing today
        you can have untreated framing in these houses with BV

        Comment

        • rach21
          Freshie
          • Mar 2015
          • 34

          #5
          Thanks John and Andrew for the input. No visible signs of damage. I'm just worried and wanted an assurance that's all.

          I just can't believe they would allow untreated timber on something that is expected to last over 50 years.

          Comment

          • John the builder
            Fanatical
            • Nov 2013
            • 2297

            #6
            If it is dry it will last at least 50 years.

            Is it dry?

            www.moisturedetection.co.nz ???

            Comment

            • rach21
              Freshie
              • Mar 2015
              • 34

              #7
              Hi John

              It is dry I think. Signed the contact but haven't settled yet. will definitely have moisture detection system installed once settled. How much do they normally cost?

              I got a building inspection and he was satisfied.

              Thanks John

              Comment

              • Bob Kane
                Fanatical
                • May 2008
                • 3679

                #8
                Originally posted by rach21 View Post
                I just can't believe they would allow untreated timber on something that is expected to last over 50 years.
                Umm, I think there are houses in England that are several hundred years old and they have used untreated timber.

                Comment

                • rach21
                  Freshie
                  • Mar 2015
                  • 34

                  #9
                  Those houses in England must be built structurally solid on the outside and designed appropriately.

                  Comment

                  • drelly
                    Fanatical
                    • Jan 2004
                    • 5838

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Bob Kane View Post
                    Umm, I think there are houses in England that are several hundred years old and they have used untreated timber.
                    Completely different timber though. Not the fast growing, flimsy pine we use.
                    You can find me at: Energise Web Design

                    Comment

                    • rach21
                      Freshie
                      • Mar 2015
                      • 34

                      #11
                      Hi Drelly... Thought so.

                      Comment

                      • elguapo
                        Fanatical
                        • Jun 2013
                        • 2161

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Bob Kane View Post
                        Umm, I think there are houses in England that are several hundred years old and they have used untreated timber.
                        Mostly built from Oak which is a hardwood with a lot of tannin, that makes it naturally very resistant to insects/fungus etc.

                        Comment

                        • Bob Kane
                          Fanatical
                          • May 2008
                          • 3679

                          #13
                          Fair point - different wood.
                          I think if the house is well built then it will last.
                          If it's a leaky then it won't.
                          That might be more important than worrying about whether the timber is treated.

                          Comment

                          • rach21
                            Freshie
                            • Mar 2015
                            • 34

                            #14
                            Thanks Bob and everyone.

                            Comment

                            • Maccachic
                              Fanatical
                              • Jul 2011
                              • 2759

                              #15
                              Not worth getting those moisture detections systems they are very limited in their reliability. If a Building Surveyor has said your horse is low risk and you keep on top of maintenance you will be OK. Treated timber is only limited protection if the wood is constantly wet the treatment leaches out over time. The key is a house that deals with water ingress well not whether you have treated timber.

                              Comment

                              Working...